No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitted new coils ,only emgos from Denis kirk ,but a great difference in rideability ,smoothness and surprisingly noticeably quieter now .Must have been running on just two cylinders much of the time for about the last moth.

Comment

Finally replaced the intake orings on the 850 last night and cleaned out the carbs while I was in there (shoulda been done already, I know, I know...). I still need to adjust the idle speed a tiny bit more, but really happy with the results. The flat spot around 3 - 4k is gone, and the bike pulls hard in all gears.

Comment

Just changed the oil at 2k miles. Just put on 450 miles the last 2 1/2 days riding around Western Ma and Southern VT.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

A 24 year old...

Comment

OK not today but yesterday finally got the polycarbonate (lexan) to bend without bubbling for my windscreen now just have to wait for the black anodizing to go out (usually have two to three loads a week but not when you have a foreign order going out ). To bend the polycarbonate sit in an oven for 21/2 hours at 250 degrees to dry it out and then raise to 350 to allow it to form to a cardboard form ,leave the protective plastic film on or it will stick to the cardboard and give you a blotchy surface.

Comment

I finally stripped one of my three wheelers down to a frame for painting/sanding. Anyone know of a good paint to use, hoping for a gloss white finish, that is heat/gas/oil resistant. Have a small automotive style sprayer.

Comment

I tried making my own gasket, by golly I think it's going to work!

"Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                  I tried making my own gasket, by golly I think it's going to work!

Pretty now make me one....LoL...good work.

Comment

Looks good from here Allie.
                    It should work!
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Tonight, Skateguy50 came over for a couple hours to teach me about valve adjustments.

Fantastic guy, very helpful. It was nice to be involved in a procedure I had read about online so often yet dreaded having to dive into...Need to swap a few shims tomorrow and then rebuild the carbs, replace intake boots, fix the brakes, and swap the tires. Then put it on the road.

Comment

Hello, I didn't see a thing for "add your two cents" , so I hope I'm doing this right: in that I want to comment on what I did without responding directly to whomever I am responding after.....All that said, I finally got 'round to the good old wet/dry compression test, and I flunked with flying colors. 95/145. Any good sole in the delmarva area have anything they want to sell me? I know I should have done the test first, maybe before I bought it would have been smart. Not cryin the blues, I know better, would that this was the biggert dumbass thing I ever did! Thanks

Comment

Last night I discovered the beauty of double-wall heat shrink tubing. bwringer recommended it in some random thread, it sounded interesting, and so I ordered some from McMaster-Carr. The inner wall is an adhesive than melts when you apply heat to shrink the tube ($10 heat gun from Harbor Freight is money well spent for this, use the lower setting). The adhesive flows into every crevice as the tube shrinks, sealing the splice and eventually squirting out the ends a bit. The transparent outer wall allows you to inspect the joint. The inside diameter shrinks from .28" to .06", so it can cover connectors or many-into-one junctions.

I've been inspecting and replacing all the splices, crimps and repairs in my wiring harness. Also replacing the broken fuse panel. And battery terminals with poor crimps.
                          Last edited by Dogma; 08-10-2010, 11:27 AM.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Just oiled and adjusted the chain also re-waterproofed the saddle bags ,made of oiled canvas needs a linseed oil and wax mixture applied about once a year.

Comment

Trailer Project

Thought I would paint the deck planks on my trailer while I wait on the intake boots.

Well, My "paint the deck planks" project turned into

"I better replace this plank .. and maybe this other plank"

and then the project turned into

"what else do I have to take apart to get out and replace a plank?"

and then turned into

"take the side walls off"

and

"cutting and grinding"

Then got the two planks out

(see side walls sitting behind trailer)

Now can replace the planks.

But, know what, ... now that have sidewalls off, ... can repaint the angle iron fairly easy, .... and repaint the side walls fairly easy.

Last edited by Redman; 08-12-2010, 09:10 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Pulled the carbs off the GS to replace the intake boots. Got intake boots replaced and said "Hey,I could do the carb needle mod where you replace the plastic spacer with washers". Got that done, set it to 3 washers, which raises it about 1 notch. Then I realized I could replace all those funky screws with SS allen screws. Got that done and realized that I could paint that one bit of carb 4 that Suzuki missed back in Oct. 1982.
                                Got that done, got it all back together, and now I am too tired to put it back on the bike. So it sits on my bench, looking forlorn.

Comment

Working...
                                X