No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made a camera mount out of a broken training wheel and the top of a tripod. The tripod can still be put back together and used easily. Yes my bike has training wheels!

"Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

today is big day for the GS750. Putting the forks back together, already rebuilt the calipers, and master cylinder. Reassembling the cluster, reassembling the triple clamp, installing the new bars. Replacing a bunch of burned up wire, oil change, and last re-installing the header. I got my BFH and channel locks so I am ready!!

Pictures to come later

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
        I made a camera mount out of a broken training wheel and the top of a tripod. The tripod can still be put back together and used easily. Yes my bike has training wheels!
        Very ingenious! That should work great....a little rubber between the pieces might provide some vibration dampening (should it be prone to occasional buzzing, with the cam mounted).
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
          Very ingenious! That should work great....a little rubber between the pieces might provide some vibration dampening (should it be prone to occasional buzzing, with the cam mounted).
          Thank ye! there's already a rubber pad where the camera mounts to the tripod part, but I put some more rubber between the tripod and the training wheel just to be safe - if you look closely you'll see a little black peeking out. I took a short test run and am super pleased with the results. You can't see the guages or anything, but the view is nice and the picture quality is fairly steady and clear for a digi cam. The wind noise, however, is fierce and it's there at anything above .9974 mph. tape over the mic holes does nothing to quiet it, if anything it makes it more annoying. I'm not sure what to do about that one .

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I've been considering something similar for my motorcycling adventures. Have you tried it out yet? I imagine most of your riding, like mine, is done when it's nice and sunny, which would enable you to use a high enough ISO to combat any blurriness.

EDIT: Doh, you answered my question in the post above this one, that'll teach me to read the entire thread before I go posting.

Comment

Thank ye! there's already a rubber pad where the camera mounts to the tripod part, but I put some more rubber between the tripod and the training wheel just to be safe - if you look closely you'll see a little black peeking out. I took a short test run and am super pleased with the results. You can't see the guages or anything, but the view is nice and the picture quality is fairly steady and clear for a digi cam. The wind noise, however, is fierce and it's there at anything above .9974 mph. tape over the mic holes does nothing to quiet it, if anything it makes it more annoying. I'm not sure what to do about that one .
              See if you can some high density foam to craft a windsock out of. The idea is that the porosity of the foam allows sound through, but the maze of tiny holes direct air away from the mic.

Comment

Took the stator out after several hours of fun . Interesting sight of it:

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Replaced speedo finally!

Old one

New one, $32 with shipping. I finally got a super deal on ebay! Here is a shot before she was mounted. Works perfectly, and had only 3000 less miles than previous

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
                    See if you can some high density foam to craft a windsock out of. The idea is that the porosity of the foam allows sound through, but the maze of tiny holes direct air away from the mic.
                    Thanks. Yes I'm staring at a sheet of Uni foam wondering if it will help. Can't hurt to try though I wouldn't be surprised to find I really need something a little more dense.

Here's a link to the test video I shot, turn the sound down and don't fall asleep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE_f0Cr9WT0

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
                      Old one

New one, $32 with shipping. I finally got a super deal on ebay! Here is a shot before she was mounted. Works perfectly, and had only 3000 less miles than previous

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with the old one? It looks like you may have had a piece of debris or three in it....

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with the old one? It looks like you may have had a piece of debris or three in it....
                        Ha! It actually still worked fine after just dumping out the debirs. Later I put a rough cut piece of plastic (from electronics packaging) in as a glass replacement. Hardest part was getting all the glass separated from the surround - they really do not want people removing the glass from these things!

The old speedo served me well for about 2000 miles in that condition. Feel I got super lucky finding a replacement for $32, delivered.

Thanks for reading and Happy Fourth!

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          Took the stator out after several hours of fun . Interesting sight of it:

It's the Stator Papers for you!

Were you actually getting any output from that thing?
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It looks like the caramel center was beginning to ooze out.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Lol. Well, if the multimeter was right it was only about 2.5, 2.5, and 4.5 volts on a 200v AC setting and way more ohms than it should have been. I'm still glad I replaced the R/R anyway but it makes me wonder if maybe the PO never bothered to check out this site before telling me he had to replace it. I'm sure glad I found you guys.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hmm multimeters,motorcycles....two wheeled transportation..here's what I finished yesterday!I know it's not motorized the bike has two wheels as does the trailer and the wheelchair! Now back to the GS......

Comment

Working...
                                X