what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grassigrass View Post
    In you day you've done what is taking me forever hahah experience is key.

different note, I'm trying to rewire my 82' gs650l and I for some reason can't load the wiring diagram from bike cliffs website. Can anyone post a picture of it for me or post an accessible link?
    Nah, it took 3 days... The first one took all winter, it gets easier once you have that first one under your belt...
    Many of those diagrams no longer work. If you download the complete manual for the GS650G the diagram is near the end and should be close enough. Not much difference in the L from the G
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
      Nah, it took 3 days... The first one took all winter, it gets easier once you have that first one under your belt...
      Many of those diagrams no longer work. If you download the complete manual for the GS650G the diagram is near the end and should be close enough. Not much difference in the L from the G
      Thanks, And I believe it. I spent about 2 hours on my valves the other day and now I can probably get a whim out in 30 seconds or less.

Comment

Shimmed my fairing to cut down on vibrations. I was seeing some gas overflow on a carb after a certain amount of riding. I'm looking into the float area. On some floats the flat tab on the float body that goes against the needle valve seems to not be parallel with the rest of the float area around it. I'm thinking I need to put it even and reset my float height.

Comment

Went for my morning ride with my coffee guys and when we left the coffee shop my back tire was flat. Got to a local station, used a plug to repair the small hole from the industrial staple we found, filled her with air and off we went. Stopped at another little cafe and there the tire went flat again. Discovered at that time that the tubeless tire had a tube, and the plug did nothing. Used a buddys on board compressor to inflate the tire and carefully rode her home. One buddy helped me to change the tube and I thought that was that. I went for a short ride and everything seemed fine. Then my buddy called and said we forgot to check the tire for the sharp end of the plug sticking into the tube, so we needed to take the wheel off and remove the tire...again. We found the tiny spike and removed it, reinstalled the tire and that was that. By then it was about 8 and the day was gone.

Such is life, but it sucked today.
          1984 GS1150ES (finally arrived, more to come...)
          1989 Dodge Dakota (the perfect Oregon work truck)
          1980 Sears "Free Spirit" bicycle (original patina and everything!)
          1978 "The Executive" RV (vintage like its owner)

How can I be in two places at once when i'm not anywhere at all?

Can I double park in a parallel universe?

Comment

Red fires no longer on all cylinders, so I began troubleshooting the ignition as a first step and tried to patch up with parts from Blue. Relevant thread: "Very poor power; test ignition with multimeter"

No success so far unfortunately, blech.
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Built a custom harness for the rear license plate lights and cafe seat tail-light. I know the LED license plate lights/signals are not very retro, but I commute and it puts a lot of light on the back of my ride with not a lot of load on the electrical system. I looped a zip tie around the rear brake switch as it has the tendency to slip off of its mount on occasion. Peace of mind is good. I have a different impedance flasher relay that works with my LED signals. The last time I had it at the shop, they plugged it back in backwards. I flipped the contacts and, yay, flash. My left turn contact inside my switch-gear is iffy though. Considering whether I want to upgrade controls or repair. Re-secured my battery tray against the bottom of the seat. Did the usual oil/air/lube/lights check. All is well.

Comment

Pulled off my seat, tank, sprocket cover, and clutch cable. Cleaned out the clutch cable return mechanism and all the crud that flung up in there. Oiled the cable again and made sure it was routed correctly. Clutch stickiness is gone; it is smooth like butter. That made my ride today very pleasant.

Comment

Not today, but yesterday new ignition parts and a Gel battery has arrived. New spark plugs and -caps installed, and charged the battery. Will be mounted later today, hope that resolves my ignition issues.
                  #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                  #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                  #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                  #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Got rid of the very unsatisfactory DIY swivel hitch on the box trailer and put on an extension to the trailer main spar with a conventional coupling bolted in place. It's now closer to the 1.75 axle/hitch ratio. Waiting to pick up suitable parts tomorrow to make a pair of safety chains - may as well do it right.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Got her legal... God the DMV is a nightmare.... They wanted to VIN check it today with an in state sale purchase on a 35 year old machine... WTF. Nearly 2 hours they made me wait. It's legal though.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Replaced the entire headlight & turn signal assemblies on one side of my 99 Chevy truck from a run in with one of the government's goats. Chevy couldn't have made it any easier and not even expensive. Moved the fusebox on my son's Moto Guzzi custom. Put fork seals in a Virago, and picked up some nice GS550 parts from a buddy that are leftovers from a project. About all he wanted was the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                          Got her legal... God the DMV is a nightmare.... They wanted to VIN check it today with an in state sale purchase on a 35 year old machine... WTF. Nearly 2 hours they made me wait. It's legal though.
                          A pain....but done. Congrats.
                          I'll be doing this tomorrow for my 850. Notarize title, transfer ownership to my name and register and get plates. Zoom zoom. Then test and tune just in time for the Indiana rally.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                            A pain....but done. Congrats.
                            I'll be doing this tomorrow for my 850. Notarize title, transfer ownership to my name and register and get plates. Zoom zoom. Then test and tune just in time for the Indiana rally.
                            I'm really glad my state doesn't deal with titles on anything 15 years or older...
                            Good luck and ride safe!
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Changed out the rear sprocket then realized I left the front one at the house but by then it was pretty late so I'll finish it off tomorrow.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                                Vermont doesn't even make us do that when we license bikes from COLORADO!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                                X