No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm excited to post here as you guys all know I'm not much of a wrencher..lol. Rob told me "you can do it grasshopper, you are ready"...

Ordered a bunch of parts for my DR....from a small dealer in Sooke BC...Kenco...love going in there. It's a ma and pop shop and the service is great and Ken is very competitive in his pricing. As a matter of fact he was better than most online prices. And the best part...I ordered Tuesday morning and some parts came in the next day but all of it on Thursday morning! Wow...They do online business too.

The stash...New tires, chain and sprockets, rear rotor, front and rear brake pads, and fork seals...

Got it all apart and ready for new rubber tomorrow and slap it back together...Feels good actually.

I did have some four legged help...

No signature

Comment

The best kind of helper! Freakin' awesome Trevor. All this time...who knew?
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

........ up to my armpits in house work. Our 1955 windows are not vintage cool, and were 30 years overdue when we moved in 5 years ago. They are being replaced, along with 2 equally bad doors.
        Ill be spending most of the winter doing the interior trim work. Also need to make time and garage space to squeeze in needed GS work. (New rear tire for Christmas, still need to buy a front and rebuild the forks). Luckily our contractor was able to save the window sills on the double dining room window and the big living room window. I modded them to fit today and trial fit them. Then set out to remove multiple layers of paint- probably a good 1/8 inch worth.

Dig the avocado green.
        20160110_202159.jpg
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Apologies if my priorities seem backwards
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Done...chain, sprockets, rear rotor, pads, fork seals and new tires. And final cleaning before I take pics to apply for collector plates.
            Thanks to Mark for spending his Sunday in my garage giving me a hand.

Last edited by trevor; 01-12-2016, 01:50 AM.
            No signature

Comment

Hey trev looks pretty good! Should be a walk in the woods,,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                Apologies if my priorities seem backwards
                Everybody has to put out the fires. Better now than summer riding weather.

Comment

More house work... 2 exterior doors painted and ready for install.
                  Finished stripping both and painted 1 window sill.
                  Roughed in dining room window trim. A carpenter I'm not and a poor craftsman blames his tools. The tool in this case is my mind... need to redo the piece up the middle. I measured and cut it too narrow. The short pieces were holders of the correct width to check the fit of the rest.

The living room window is twice as big.... oh boy.
                  sigpic

Glen
                  -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

More house work... 2 exterior doors painted and ready for install.
                    Finished stripping both and painted 1 window sill.
                    Roughed in dining room window trim. A carpenter I'm not and a poor craftsman blames his tools. The tool in this case is my mind... need to redo the piece up the middle. I measured and cut it too narrow. The short pieces were holders of the correct width to check the fit of the rest.

The living room window is twice as big.... oh boy.
                    Like I tell my clients,....... it looks perfect from my house. Which it does!

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

.... or the hvac equivalent. . Its warm at my house.
                      sigpic

Glen
                      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

You may want to invest or puruse the Craiglist for an automotive engine stand. Makes live a hell of a lot easier, and the carry brackets can be made out of slooted angle, probably available from disposal or hardware stores.
                        This photo shows the motor on a custom bracket I made, and the tube is the part that goes into the engine stand, it lets you rotate 360' (carefully)

Comment

The electric power steering in our Fiat runabout has been playing up. It draws up to 80 A.Quite a punch for the electrical system of a 1.2 litre car. Tracked down the problem to the pcb relays inside the electric motor. Replaced them both but boy is it tight in there and my soldering skills on pcb tracks won't win any prizes. Looks good for now anyway. Fingers crossed.
                          For anyone having trouble getting Chinese cloned ELM327 cables to see some car modules, there is a resistor that shouldn't be there bridging two of the CAN lines.
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous
                          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Shoveled untold amounts of snow.
                            Then finished this.
                            20160124_180859.jpg

I'm happy with the result, and uncharacteristically for me doing home projects, I kept my cool the whole time.
                            The camera caused a weird effect. .. the top and bottom really are straight. I swear....

Also learned a lesson. I have an electric brad gun i was using. It was causing me much grief in the garage.
                            I used it in the dining room this afternoon and it worked pretty good. The electric heater i was using In the garage was sucking up too much power it turns out.
                            Last edited by dorkburger; 01-24-2016, 09:27 PM.
                            sigpic

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Shoveled untold amounts of snow.
                              Then finished this.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]43856[/ATTACH]

I'm happy with the result, and uncharacteristically for me doing home projects, I kept my cool the whole time.
                              The camera caused a weird effect. .. the top and bottom really are straight. I swear....
                              Pincushion distortion - fairly common on pocket cameras / cellphones, etc.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                                Pincushion distortion - fairly common on pocket cameras / cellphones, etc.
                                I didn't notice the distortion, till you pointed it out. I'll have to look at my pictures more closely. The window trim does look nice!

[/URL]

Here is a walnut mantle and trim I finished a week ago. I've waited most of my career to do this type of work on a regular basis. Does the ceiling crown moulding look to be "crowned/arched" upward to anyone else?
                                Last edited by Charlie G; 01-25-2016, 12:03 AM.
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g
                                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                                X