what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I been wantin' to do this for years!
    Sloppy, but I can clean it up later, was eager to see what it would look like.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

No wrenching, but a whack of cleaning and waxing on my 1100ESD. Got to make it pretty for Trevor's run this weekend!
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Same here, good thing I did too, found the battery to be toast. Glad you're bringing the ES Kevin

Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

20160715_212731.jpg

I bought a GS850G and someone converted it into a GS850GL. So today i took a 3 hour round trip drive to Dennis Kirk. I was originally going to buy the Daytona style handlebars but when I had it in my hands, i decided it were not for me. I bought this instead

Find the Emgo Chrome 7/8 in. Classic Handlebar at Dennis Kirk. Shop our complete selection of Cruiser Motorcycle parts and accessories including the Emgo Chrome 7/8 in. Classic Handlebar .

It took about an hour to swap and loving the new look of it!

Comment

I started on a very important non-motorcycle ramp project for my youngest step-son tonight after waiting the last 4 years. The first part of that project is now through the initial modifications as I built two platforms on the rear deck.

The first one will level out the exit from the door so he can wheel himself outside. It's a 5'x5' platform which is the ADA standard and will give him plenty of room to turn around:

Then I brought the lower deck platform, sized 11-3/4'x8', up to meet the upper (before my addition) so I can build out a ramp between the two and keep it at 6 feet (just over the 1x12 ADA requirements for public places).

Once I install the decking on those two sections and build the ramp between them, I'll remove the stairs you see in the picture above and install ramp that wraps around the back of the trailer. It will run down the side where it will meet the concrete pad I mentioned. It too will have a 1x12 slope to keep the math somewhat simple plus I think he can manage it since the one he has at school is about the same.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'm in the middle of the valve adjustment and wanted to seek advice. I noticed that two were too loose and one too tight. My home made tool worked, but I'll order the Suzuki one for next time. I'm running out of smaller shims so everything is in spec, but barely. Should I try to get closer to the high end of spec clearance or leave it till next oil change?

Here's the clearance measurements in mm

CYL 1 CYL2 CYL3 CYL4

in .051 ex .051 in.064 ex .076 in .064 ex .051 in.076 ex .076

I also was able to pop out the tach drive gear and sleeve which were leaking, and replaced those seals. Last time I broke the sleeve trying to pry from the outside, but since the cover was off I pushed it out without a problem.

You can see the back edge of the sleeve here.

My shim stash. Lots of larger ones, will need smaller next time.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

This weekend? Fork rebuild Friday night, followed by 2 days of sheet rocking and electrical on a bedroom in the house. Found this evening, a screw in the tire on my wifes car. Installed plug......
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Only thing I "wrenched" on was a nice but very dirty and working unknown (until this eve), large stainless propane BBQ grill..(cooked a lot of beef).I Get them for free pretty often in summer. I guess people move and they're bulky and heavy so in the nicer neighborhoods they set them on curb quite often...I drive a pick-up...

Finally got some propane on way back from taking my two children to local small water-park.
                  Seems like it's a very cool , public park owned gigantic pool, blast for kids , but ALL the[other] local riff-raff with no pool membership goes there...it was like 100F . Place was packed.

Odd thing I really was dieing to go for ride but my abusive wife who works every saturday and has some strange summer-time cold fever thing today (sunday) No ride...There were all kinds of milfy women with tiny bikinis.
                  But lots of women with full-suit muslim swim garb, some women swimming in street clothes shorts or just clothes too.

Anyway there was one brunette , barely old enough to look at yet, bad-ass with a black bikini I got some familiar feeling and realized she reminded me of my motorcycle . Really.
                  Funny thing I was looking at her and she noticed and came nearby ...there I am playing with my two girls , abusive wife at home UrGHH!
                  She sure was sexy!

Ad for my GSX1100G read "She..." and "She could use paint.." I thought ,"this sellers a flake-wad..." BUT turned out he was a sailor on crabbing boats/fisherman and guess that type say ,"she" any way driving back from delaware with the bike in truck, in rearview it did look sexy and bad-ass so I chuckled and said to self ,"She LOL" "this is a first "she" bike for me"...Gotta treat 'er with respect though and don't want to see "her b*tchy side...Pics really don't do the '93 1100G justice + mines much better than stock IMO.

Oh, my grill was storing some DC motors(no room for) and a couple microwave transformers sometime I may use for this:
                  Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to make an 800 amp Spot Welder from common materials and for dirt cheap! Spot welders are used to fuse thin sheets of...

Hope somebody might find that interesting , makeup for all the reading maybe.
                  I must have guts from enough BBQ's to make several RV or camp stoves and complete grills out of metal bucket/barrel whatever really BTW.

Comment

not today, but Saturday was a full on maintenance day. I said that after I came back from Nevada I was gonna slack off now the house is sold. well so much for that! went and got some oil and a filter for the Vulcan, and while I was there found out there is a safety recall on it for the tank cushion pad between the tank and frame. so got that ordered. then I went and got coolant for it from wally world and oil and a filter for my truck. once the oil and coolant were changed, it was time to give Spock a proper post-road trip insect blood bath. but, at least the majority of the maintenance is done and out of the way. now all I need to do is the valves after the recall is done. and once the valves are done, it'll be time to trade it in. I may not go the Vaquero route.

Comment

I tightened my chain. It keeps becoming loose. It is a new chain on new sprockets and it seems to be wearing much faster than normal. I'm almost at the end of adjustment for the axle. What with 30 lbs of torque, tops, on a 550, I'm a little irritated to wear out a 530 chain in a few months. I wonder if Cycle Gear would call it defective and hook me up.

Comment

Right tool for the job

Rebuilding the brake hydraulics on the '81. Fought for an hour getting the e-clip out of the Master cylinder Saturday, only thing accomplished was testing my 4 letter vocabulary. Got on Amazon, found this, picked Next Day Shipping with Prime. On my doorstep today, took 3 seconds to get that B@$tard out. As a bonus, it does the carb diaphragm clips just as well. Wondering why I never got one before. Motion Pro $25 +$4 for next day. No slip, no drama. Squeeze and it's out.

sigpic
                        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260
                        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

2010 Chevrolet HHR

Replaced the left rear wheel hub and bearing. Was roaring kinda loud.
                          Prices ran from $200 to only $38. I chose one for $48 with 2 year warranty.
                          Only took me an hour to replace it.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Something else, cleaning the house

Have to clean the dust off me drums, overdue.
                            Gretsch Catalina Birch shells with vintage Slingerland, Radio King, Gene Krupa model, brass snare.

Comment

Yes, it is a great tool to have. Some specialized tools are just worth having!

Comment

A customer of mine wanted a "catio" she called it. A patio for her cats!. A covered patio already existed so I framed in some walls and will make screens and a door soon. Fun in the sun!!
                                I used all rough cedar and a thompsons water seal stain. She said "make it look earthy".
                                I tried!

Roger

Current rides
                                1983 GS 850G
                                2003 FJR 1300A
                                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                                X