No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed the break light issue, Suzie Q is ready for the road. Will get her insured and tagged on Monday.
    V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

A new front Shinko 712 installed.
      Changed the Rotella and filter.
      Lubed the tach cable.
      Checked the brake pads - still about half left.
      New fittings for the Dynatek & R/R.
      Replaced my Daytona handlebars with an off road bar because the dimensions were much more comfortable.
      Replaced the throttle tube and grips with OEM parts
      And then found the clutch springs I meant to install before I added oil...DOH!

Comment

GS850 shifter

I was pulling apart the shifting gear on the 850, the small 1/4 cog has two throw out arms that are spring loaded.
        Very carefully I dislodged it from the shaft and one of the 4mmm rods went missing, any looked everywhere.
        At the bottom of the gear box housing is a 20mm oil return hole, you guessed it.
        After fishing around with a magnetic pickup the little tacker came out the hole, .......whew. I have to replace both springs, the bearings and the clutch plates and I didn't really need all this agro.

Comment

Originally posted by sinkankan View Post
          I was pulling apart the shifting gear on the 850, the small 1/4 cog has two throw out arms that are spring loaded.
          Very carefully I dislodged it from the shaft and one of the 4mmm rods went missing, any looked everywhere.
          At the bottom of the gear box housing is a 20mm oil return hole, you guessed it.
          After fishing around with a magnetic pickup the little tacker came out the hole, .......whew. I have to replace both springs, the bearings and the clutch plates and I didn't really need all this agro.
          Picture of the offending part next to the spring. The hole it went down is behind the shifter fork.

Comment

Changed the rear tire on the Wing.

Like virtually ANY project on a Wing, you start by removing the seat.

Then, loosen the clamps and remove the mufflers.

Loosen four bolts and gain access to the rear tire.

Once all the baggage is out of the way, access to the tire is actually pretty good.

Actual tire replacment is no different than a GS, then it was just dropping everything back into place and lining it up.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Rack on.
              Ready for BC rally.

Comment

Sadly worked on little mechanical today.

Stopped on my way home from work at best friends house. Got asked to be best man at his upcoming wedding!

Tore apart my old wooden motorcycle bench creating additional space and so the lumber could be re-purposed for a sandblasting booth and temporary paint booth. Made a few changes to the TSCU design and published those.

Tomorrow the work begins as the new motorcycle lift table is now in its proper place and now there is lots of working room.

Tomorrow is pulling the head off Stans GK... Again! (dang P.O.'s ). Pulling the left head on my riding lawn mower to remove, what I believe to be, excessive carbon deposits.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Didn't do much constructive today, as felt knackered, but mounted the HEI modules into an electrical steel box (should be ok as a heatsink), but laid off doing any soldering as I just knew my concentration wasn't up to it and cheaper to put it off until tomorrow than blow a module.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Recalled I had a pair of NOS pre-packed Hyster ignition lead sets and had a look. Discovered they were Packard wire-wound silicone 8mm leads, so fitted them to the ex-CBR coils. Very snazzy they look, too, in their bright blue jackets.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Respect the skilz...

Pulled the head on my our lawn mower today. I tried as hard as I could to keep the one head bolt going into (?) the exhaust port from snapping off, but snap it did. Not once but twice! The first time was trying to remove it with the ratchet, the second time trying to grip what was left using vice grips.

Ground the broken off bolt flush with a 4" grinder, center punched the bolt and drilled it out by hand.

That's not a heli-coil in there ladies and gents.

She's starting to get a little bit tired...

Last edited by rustybronco; 05-18-2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Project number 2 for the day

Pulled the head for the second time on Flyboy's GK to fix a previous 'hack job who over torqued two of the cam cover bolts. I found them when I tried tightening the cam cover after replacing a leaky base gasket and valve stem seals.

I'll probably see if I can find a drill press to use, if not, then I'll drill them out by eye like I did on the lawn mower.

Ness, you've really got to get yourself a table if you plan on working a lot on these things. Real easy to get a bike into the air and stable as the dickens.

Comment

I am being stymied by a 70 CL 70, can't get it by 1/3 throttle without it going full flood. Going to pull the motor and go completely through it I guess.
                          V
                          Gustov
                          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                          80 GS 550 L
                          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                            Pulled the head for the second time on Flyboy's GK to fix a previous 'hack job who over torqued two of the cam cover bolts. I found them when I tried tightening the cam cover after replacing a leaky base gasket and valve stem seals.

I'll probably see if I can find a drill press to use, if not, then I'll drill them out by eye like I did on the lawn mower.

Ness, you've really got to get yourself a table if you plan on working a lot on these things. Real easy to get a bike into the air and stable as the dickens.

The wife says I should buy one on these, but isn't offering to pay for it. I hate to say this, but you sure have a lot of stuff on that table

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Drained the oil and replaced the oil filter, drained the shaft drive oil and refreshed that to. Cleaned the earthing points and smeared them in with vasoline to keep that naughty corrosion away.

Took it for a long run, runs beautifully

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                                The wife says I should buy one on these, but isn't offering to pay for it. I hate to say this, but you sure have a lot of stuff on that table

cg
                                All that stuff on the table is what came off the bike plus a few tools and some padding to protect the parts.

Trust me... you want want a lift table.

Comment

Working...
                                X