No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My much beloved Klipsch 4:1 computer speakers, which I purchased something like 15 years ago, crapped out the other day. Did a quick google search and found tons of info on the common failure points and how to fix them. Ordered up a few resistors for $5 and looking forward to putting the fix in place. Fingers crossed..

EDIT: Success! Speakers working as well as ever!

P1030196 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/18095073@N08/]

P1030197 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/18095073@N08/]

P1030198 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/18095073@N08/]
    Last edited by Nessism; 09-18-2016, 09:20 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I figured while I have easy access to it I'd fix a couple of annoying oil leaks. The cam chain tensioner and oil pressure switch have been weeping.

Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Finally finished the frame to Paul's ramp today after a few weeks of very wet weather. I hope to start the decking tomorrow then the railing

Put some bracing on the upper ramp section

My friend and I figured out the angles we needed for the middle ramp

And then the lower section has been ready since right before the rains started but I also threw some bracing in today

Then we buttoned up Charmayne's bike only to discover the left footrest is not where we put it and now missing. I'll go through the garage again tomorrow and order one from EBay if I can't find it or a replacement from anyone else. I also owe JTGS a lot of thanks for the part to fix the carburetors as the sync worked well.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Wow, that's some ramp! Nice work!
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I've got the original pistons out of my 450 waiting for the new ones to come in the mail. I wanted to see how easy/ hard it would be to smooth out the tops(and only the top).
            Dose it make any bit of difference in power or on a dyno? No, but it makes me feel better about not having casting marks and burrs/ highspots bouncing around in the combustion dome.

14199296_533596606837615_7912005138632706921_n.jpg

Comment

I think those shapes aid the swirl affect and combustion efficiency.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                I think those shapes aid the swirl affect and combustion efficiency.
                From the studies I've found, basic polishing helps to prevent detonation and lower carbon buildup. Polishing the intake runner has shown to decrease hp unless its direct injection because the fuel can bead back up into a liquid along the way.

Comment

First quick wash and polish for months today... hard to squeeze that in when she's ridden nearly every day of the week!

Still scrubs up ok for a daily rider nearly 5 years since the rebuild was finished...

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I degreed the camshafts on my 78 Gs1000. I used slotted sprockets and set them at 106. while I was in there, I checked my valves too. the intake cam was way out and I was pleased how well the bike ran after! Jerry
                    78 Gs 1000, 94 Honda Xr600

Comment

Ploughed through spares mountain,
                      prepped gs1100 engine for cosmetic overhaul - repaired assorted bad threads , pulled stator+ clutch + sump
                      refurbed 1100E headlight
                      spent more than I want to confess to on eBay/Amazon/partzilla
                      78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
                      82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
                      83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
                      2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
                      Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Finished screwing down the decking to Paul's ramp tonight and now I can work on the railing. I never realized the balusters that are on my existing deck were so expensive (5 for $33) so I may not make it look the same. There is also one section, the middle ramp, that is a bit hairy for him but once I get the railing and a hand rail in place he should be good; plus I need to trim the boards back anyway.

The lower ramp and platform; I still need to put down a sheet of steel plate for Paul to use as a transition from the concrete to ramp

The middle ramp; we had to set the angle and rise as it is so I could move around the bush, electrical box (out of view), cable tv junction box, and A/C unit; wish I had a better area to work with but he'll be fine

Upper ramp

Ramp near the back door; the steel plate here is the same one he'll use at the bottom but I'll get a second one since the 24" width is just right but could be bigger

At least he'll have better mobility on his own and we won't have to carry his chair outside then him every morning for the bus.
                        Last edited by cowboyup3371; 09-15-2016, 10:36 PM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

The work looks good.
                          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Thank you Tom

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

...The lower ramp and platform; I still need to put down a sheet of steel plate for Paul to use as a transition from the concrete to ramp...

Was thinking you could set your circular saw OR table saw to 45 deg. angle and cut a temporary ramp(?)
                              Looks like you've done a lot of good work!
                              I enjoy that sort of stuff for experience (working on relatives/my own place)

I replaced my busted passenger foot peg on my GSX1100G w/ one I got for $5 (plus 7 shipping)...Looks GREAT! compared to the busted one.
                              Didn't notice how bad the old one was until put the new one on...
                              It has a cool simple "Ball-Detent" design w/ spring and ball that fell out ...took me a second to figure putting it back correct.
                              It was fun like a puzzle though! (I have a lot of experience with mechanical stuff)

Looks so nice I'm going to go ahead and try to polish then cold gun-blue the gas tank and clear coat it...(The semi-rust colored/ gray bare metal is finally looking ugly to me somewhat)...

Been working on a leather seat cover, I took the leather out of dye to dry finally. (Two boxes of Rit, steel bucket over BBQ grill , left soaking since think needed more dye...) Going to *try* and drill holes and pop-rivet it on since it'll be thicker once I put it in hot wax soon.

OH, yeah, this:
                              Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              My much beloved Klipsch 4:1 computer speakers, which I purchased something like 15 years ago, crapped out the other day. Did a quick google search and found tons of info on the common failure points and how to fix them. Ordered up a few resistors for $5 and looking forward to putting the fix in place. Fingers crossed..
                              LOL we were "simultaneously" doing speaker projects, haven't gotten mine working (yet).
                              Last year I found out flat-screen TV's can ALSO be repaired easily (usually), similarly too. (There's youtube tutorials/info on diagnosing /parts needed and everything!)
                              I had a huge one in back of truck until I slothed so long it got too much rain and went back into garbage...

Comment

Got a new front tire on the GS. Now I have Dunlop D404 front and rear. Cleaned up and greased the front bits before remounting. Ride is much improved over the old tire.

Comment

Working...
                                X