No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From time to time, even water-cooled guys have to get in there and wrestle with the intestines, and monsoon season is as good a time as any. These are the guts of a V-Strom. It's shim-under-bucket, so I had to pull all 4 cams (lucky me), but an oil-based paint pen made reassembly a little more certain. I'm 1,000 miles early for this maintenance, but all 4 exhaust valves were two steps too tight. Eeek!

While these guys don't present the headache of dealing with that H-shaped cam cover gasket, there's about 2 hours of shenanigans to get them torn down just to this level. Body parts all over my garage, like Dexter.

No matter how diligent I am in reassembly, there's always a nagging doubt, and it's still a relief to hear the bike light up instantly and idle like a watch, with no leaks or disturbing noises or other signs of distress...

So now, it's on to the other machine; the Goldwing needs a look-see at its valves too. Three times the number of cylinders, yet half as many cams and far less disassembly involved. Can't wait.

a

a

and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Helped a friend with his 1978 Roadrunner today. We did an aluminum intake and carb swap two weeks ago, today was valve covers, oil change, minor adjustments and set the timing.

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
      2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Changed the clutch lever and cable on the 850 today.

Nothing spectacular, but did use a wrench. Two in fact! Lol
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
          From time to time, even water-cooled guys have to get in there and wrestle with the intestines, and monsoon season is as good a time as any. These are the guts of a V-Strom. It's shim-under-bucket, so I had to pull all 4 cams (lucky me), but an oil-based paint pen made reassembly a little more certain. I'm 1,000 miles early for this maintenance, but all 4 exhaust valves were two steps too tight. Eeek!

While these guys don't present the headache of dealing with that H-shaped cam cover gasket, there's about 2 hours of shenanigans to get them torn down just to this level. Body parts all over my garage, like Dexter.

No matter how diligent I am in reassembly, there's always a nagging doubt, and it's still a relief to hear the bike light up instantly and idle like a watch, with no leaks or disturbing noises or other signs of distress...

So now, it's on to the other machine; the Goldwing needs a look-see at its valves too. Three times the number of cylinders, yet half as many cams and far less disassembly involved. Can't wait.

a

a

Boy, that looks clean inside! Please tell me about your "oil based pen".

My Wee Strom has 10K on it, and has probably never had valves checked or coolant changed. I sort of dread the body parts, as I've had trouble putting things back together for previous maintenance.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I cut down my windshield on the FJR. I took about 4" off the top and 2" off the sides. I should get some air now! Also put on my Alaskan leather company Sheepskin "Butt Pad". So far I like both modifications 👍
            Attached Files
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Dropped the running-in oil, replaced with a semi-synth 10w40, fitted new centrestand (using the washers-inne-spring trick), replaced a dodgy spark plug, re-tightened head, valve cover and exhaust bolts, most of which took a touch more. Just as well I didn't leave it longer.
              Tomorrow, hoik a spare starter motor from another lump, test it on the bench and if good, fit it to the brute. I'm impressed how cheaply good used starters can be bought in the US, up to now shipping was an obstacle, but not any more. Think I'll acquire another spare just in case.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                Boy, that looks clean inside! Please tell me about your "oil based pen".
                OK. Here: At Michael's, no less. Or Amazon, of course. No matter how oil-free I got the timing chain (acetone, alcohol) the paint didn't stick very well -- so I kept my mitts away from the marked link. It's possible, obviously, to just use the diagrams and double-check with the 16-pitch count between cam gear marks, but I really prefer that as a backup; a nice, thin white mark as a reference gives me confidence. Believe it or not, the toughest part for me was the plastic heat shield just behind the radiator. That fought me every step of the way. Like most operations of this type, my second and subsequent valve checks should take about a third as much time.

I really lucked out on needed shims. Although I wound up altering 7 of the 8 clearances, I had to buy just one 5-pack of 1.65's, for about $5.25 shipped. The intakes used the discards from the exhausts, and the results were as close to perfect as you'd ever get with a shim system. So I'm happy!
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

With temps in NJ hitting 90° today, I figured it would be a good time to check my vintage (1986) cooling system for the house. Like my old GS, it's leaky....
                  with that sorted, I gave the cycle its yearly washing / degreasing / delousing.....
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

... and today, the old starter from the other lump worked fine, so fitted it and good to go. Need to get a couple of rebuild kits for the others. With occasional brushplate replacement (like, about once every half century or so) these old Mitsuba starters go on forever.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                      OK. Here: At Michael's, no less. Or Amazon, of course. No matter how oil-free I got the timing chain (acetone, alcohol) the paint didn't stick very well -- so I kept my mitts away from the marked link. It's possible, obviously, to just use the diagrams and double-check with the 16-pitch count between cam gear marks, but I really prefer that as a backup; a nice, thin white mark as a reference gives me confidence. Believe it or not, the toughest part for me was the plastic heat shield just behind the radiator. That fought me every step of the way. Like most operations of this type, my second and subsequent valve checks should take about a third as much time.

I really lucked out on needed shims. Although I wound up altering 7 of the 8 clearances, I had to buy just one 5-pack of 1.65's, for about $5.25 shipped. The intakes used the discards from the exhausts, and the results were as close to perfect as you'd ever get with a shim system. So I'm happy!
                      Thanks! I now remember a grease pencil that I used to have. Haven't thought of it in years. Next time I get near Micheal's, I'm stopping to get one.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Blew 5 freeze plugs in W/C 750... Result water in oil.
                        So used to aircooled bikes didn't think to check if radiator had a coolant mix or not.
                        Did not. Froze over winter, and let go in the first 7 minutes of riding it.
                        Waiting for parts. Will see what the outcome is.
                        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Even with my bum leg I made it over to the garage this afternoon to get out of the house. All four carbs are now essentially put back together but I still need to reconnect them and do a bench sync. I'll have to wait to put them back on the bike until I'm allowed to put weight on the leg again.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Got new shoes for my Dart today!

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                            2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Just boring stuff

Did a valve check/adjustment, New Air filter, Check the plugs, Clean and reinstall crankcase breather filter, oil tach, speedo, clutch and throttle cables. Adjust throttle and clutch play and top up with a little fresh oil. Put my new rear tire on a few weeks ago so I am good now at least for the summer.

I must say ... my bike is currently running SWEET!! Smooth like glass.

Comment

My track bike was not reving as high as last year, power fading off above 8000rpm. So I needed to look at the plugs, evaluate what to do.
                                Plugs were in the ideal zone but on the rich end of it.
                                Two things I changed since last summer, valve job and changed the ignition box.
                                Used to use the OEM GSX750 Katana ignition box, but changed that out for a GSX1100 Katana ig box. I think that was the wrong move so I just put the 750 box back in there, it must have a more aggressive advance curve, I know it has a 500 RPM higher redline.
                                Ordered a K&N airfilter, not sure how much that will help the top end but with carbs on the rich side it won't hurt.
                                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                                X