No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally fabbed up a rear saddlebag support to keep bags from rubbing against rear shock.

Last edited by St. Hubbins; 09-18-2016, 08:46 PM.
    1979 GS425L
    1981 GS850G
    1970 Lambretta DL150
    1993 Saab 900S
    1993 Saab 900T CE
    1958 John Deere 440 w/hoe (grandfather's, trying to fix up for him)

Patron Saint of Quality Footwear

Comment

Charmayne's new stator is on while I replaced my grips and worked on the wiring for a dual 12v power outlet.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I finally installed the battery I received last week (Hadn't because I wanted to test it and both my multimeters no workey)

Got it from "Battery Sharks" , arrived early/ Charged (Seemed fully) but clearly marked "Made In Vietnam"
        ...(Sigma-tek brand) Atleast it's honestly marked.

I got my leather seat cover about 90% finishe (today)...
        CAN'T BELIEVE how good it turned out! (I just need couple more 3/16th pop-rivets, used over half inventing how to use an 1/8th" bit , etc. getting them to fasten OK).

All the way to the end (after dark) I didn't think it'd come out good, but stayed persistent (like I tell my daughter), gave it my best effort...At the end I knew I had the rider seat needed to shrink (middle)AND expand (sides) AT THE SAME TIME, "No way" "stupid project idea" thinking...as LAST resort I hit it with an iron (Couldn't make it worse thinking) (have around just for this type stuff) and BAM!
        It formed exactly to the stock vinyl ...shrank in middle and expanded on sides as I worked the high heat!

I have phone pics of almost each step. I'll try to make a post soon hopefully/ probably on this one.
        (It's skilled work IMO, as well as a "last resort" deal though)
        I spent hours here and there. Looks great. even caught the wife eyeing it. I got a couple mishap spots, but it's my first ever leather cover/ learning experience...

Can't wait to make the tank better, add a 1/4 fairing and some new turn-signals and better mirrors...

Oh, also I made a cook stove for my wife today (another long story) on way back late from getting lunch for work, I spot an AWESOME stainless grill set on side of road w/ propane etc. and heaved it in truck...Happy and URGH!!!! same time!

Comment

At some point, some previous owner of my GSX1100G drilled out six of the 12 rivets at the back of the each muffler which made the exhaust note very raspy. Didn't like it, so I bought some little metal caps at Home Depot and "glued" them into the holes with high temp black silicon, just to see what would happen. Sounds much better now and even runs smoother. Nice! We'll see how long the silicon holds. Doesn't look too bad either. I also cleaned up that area with oven cleaner. Came out nice and shined up the rivets.

By the way, nice work on the ramp Scott. Lookin' good!
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I'm a happy camper now. Came home from work to find these waiting for me. Time to get busy!

Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I checked the timing on my bike, it was dead on! It's hard to beat the Dyna-s setup
              78 Gs 1000, 94 Honda Xr600

Comment

Originally posted by 05Astro View Post
                I checked the timing on my bike, it was dead on! It's hard to beat the Dyna-s setup
                Had to Google "Dyna S" interesting!
                Didn't know if it was a Harley upgrade modded or what. But one ebay link listed all suzuki models it fits.

Dunno what I need to upgrade the ignition on my GSX1100 (YET) ...I'd like to relocate the coils when I replace the spark plug cables...Just reminded me to study up. Thanks.

All I wrenched on was seeing how I can polish my gas tank up after the build "Patina" of year of burning the paint off my gas tank, coating with "Must for Rust Krudcutter" (Phosphoric acid), and various coatings of used oil, used Driveshaft lube, bearing grease, and best of all...hamburger/meat grease layer. ...
                It looked cool for while , but now just doesn't match.
                (was going for a mix of ugly and tough with polished up essentials and shiny accessories)
                But now with my new black leather seat cover (last weekend, awesome IMO) and the clear gloss on tail plastic, it just looks incomplete, to me. Maybe like asking for trouble too.

So I'll probably polish it up and apply "Birchwood Casey Gun-Blue" ($8.50 walmart, yesterday) and give it bunch of clearcoat layers , Tommorrow.
                In between trying to remove a broke header bolt once and for all. (Didn't ride all week because my temporary fix failed and that header pipe glowed for a second , I cut engine off until I get it sealed up/fixed properly.
                Hopefully I can get a post on my leather seat soon (w/ pics, pics take me a while).

Comment

Polishing fork legs. This stuff gets addicting seeing it look like new again.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by BurntKittyForge View Post
                    In between trying to remove a broke header bolt once and for all. (Didn't ride all week because my temporary fix failed and that header pipe glowed for a second , I cut engine off until I get it sealed up/fixed properly.
                    Hopefully I can get a post on my leather seat soon (w/ pics, pics take me a while).
                    Maybe start looking for a replacement head? I think even a Katana 750 (pre-97) will work. Depends on what kinda cam and rocker arms your bike has.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

After the first attempt at installing a voltmeter failed a couple of days ago, I received some assistance and finally got it working today.

The box is made out of two pieces of 26-gauge weldable steel with insulation foam on the inside of the bottom piece to cushion it and plexiglass on the upper to provide some weather protection. The box has a large hole cut on the side with a grommet and the boot from a master cylinder protecting it. I ran a wire from the switched side of the fuse block running into the headlight bucket where it meets the power wire of the voltmeter.

There's about a .5v difference with this voltmeter so the 11.8 you see here at rest is actually about 12.3 or 12.4 on a calibrated tester

It's connected to the handlebars via a ram mount and double socket arm

Last edited by cowboyup3371; 10-01-2016, 10:47 PM.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Decided to check the air filter on the GSX1100G. Crikey! You have to take the tank off, the battery and battery box out just to get to it. Sheesh!
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                          Decided to check the air filter on the GSX1100G. Crikey! You have to take the tank off, the battery and battery box out just to get to it. Sheesh!
                          Be glad your tastes don't run to GoldWings. I assisted on an air filter change that Ragezro did when he had a GL1800. Here's the procedure: .
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

While the tanks was off, I decided to check the carb sync, since the K&N air filter came in yesterday. They were pretty far out. I made an attempt to sync them and got them close but could not get them exactly even. Is there a trick to it? I was using my mercury sync gauge.
                            Current Bikes:

Comment

Have not done a GSX1100G, but it can't be that much different. I can stop by and lend a hand, if you wish.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve. I have it all back together and enjoying riding right now, but I intend to pull the carbs eventually to clean them and maybe put in a dynojet kit or something similar to cure the cold naturedness. I'll need to resync at that point, so I'll let you know then if I need some help.
                                Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                                X