what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got swingarm off this evening.
    The problem made itself quite evident. (photos and more details in "Drivetrain". "looking for shaft drive experience") (And the expertise/ expereince there was spot on - exact.)

That was enough crawling around on the ground for this guy. Will get back at it later in the week.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

worked all day on a set of 28mm carbs for a GS1000S.
      Soaking the bodies in Berryman carb dip, cleaning, polishing ... tedious work.
      All new o-rings from Robert.

20170829_182020.jpg

Looking for float bowl and top hat bolts, they are 1$ a piece.
      Times 28, and 10 carb sets to go, that's 280$.
      On Aliexpress they offer similar ones at 5$ per 100, just not
      with the iso dot on the head.
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

While my engine covers are in the hands of Alex (Sandman900SS) getting refinished, I decided to touch up the paint on the engine (it just wouldn't be right to have gorgeous covers right next to crusty old paint!). Here's a link to my album on Flickr to the work in progress...

Comment

Yesterday I started the tear down of the new Kat. Fairing and panels removed, airbox, battery, headlight assembly, etc. I've placed my o-ring order with Robert Barr. Also placed my Z1 order for oil filter, gaskets, spark plugs,etc. And more gaskets and engine casing emblems from Babbits. Once all of this stuff arrives I'll disassemble and dip the carbs. The bike runs fine, but since I'm installing new o-rings I might as well do a thorough carb cleaning. Valve clearance will then be adjusted followed by a carb sync. You guys know the drill. :-)

I also discovered that the fairing is not original. The guy I bought it from was the second owner and he didn't replace it so the original owner must have. Kind of disappointed, but I guess it's not unheard of for a 35 year old bike.

Cheers!
          K

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
            Yesterday I started the tear down of the new Kat. Fairing and panels removed, airbox, battery, headlight assembly, etc. I've placed my o-ring order with Robert Barr. Also placed my Z1 order for oil filter, gaskets, spark plugs,etc. And more gaskets and engine casing emblems from Babbits. Once all of this stuff arrives I'll disassemble and dip the carbs. The bike runs fine, but since I'm installing new o-rings I might as well do a thorough carb cleaning. Valve clearance will then be adjusted followed by a carb sync. You guys know the drill. :-)

I also discovered that the fairing is not original. The guy I bought it from was the second owner and he didn't replace it so the original owner must have. Kind of disappointed, but I guess it's not unheard of for a 35 year old bike.

Cheers!
            K
            Good stuff! What makes you think the fairing isn't original?
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              Good stuff! What makes you think the fairing isn't original?
              It doesn't have the indentations for the turn signal stalks. And it's made from a heavily sprayed Fiberglas, which I understand may or may not have been the original Suzuki marterial. But the turn signal stalks are a dead giveaway. It has surface mount turn signals and I was hoping the original owner installed them to cover up the cracks that the fairings are prone to. But that's not the case.

Comment

Got ya, yeah that sounds aftermarket. I'm in two minds on mine... it's been modified to take surface mount indicators but there definitely appear to be what's left of indents there for the indicators as well. It's fibreglass but that could just mean it's an early one.

sigpic

Comment

Carbs have been completely stripped and the last one is dipping. Just waiting on my o-ring shipment to arrive and a quick trip to Fastenal for some new stainless steel screws and I can reassemble. They were actually pretty clean on the inside but now at least I know they are and have a baseline. I also adjusted the valves (none were too tight, a few were too loose) and cleaned the valve cover. The PO installed the breather cap with what looks to be RTV. It was messy and difficult to remove along with the remains of the original gasket. I believe he did this because one corner of the cover was broken off. I mended it with JB Weld and you can now barely see the cracks.

Next step will be to completely clean the engine while I have the carbs and air box off, then tackle the electrical connections and clean them up.

Cheers!
                  K

Comment

We have to see more pic's when she's done, can't ever be too many Kat photos

sigpic

Comment

On my 83 1100E, I fixed a turn signal issue, drained the gas out of the tank and drained the oil. waiting on oil and air filters before i put fresh oil in it. will also be rebuilding the petcock and replacing the vacuum line from the tank to the carbs.

Comment

Trying find source of rattle in engine. Sounds like cam chain, but an APE manual one didn't solve it.
                        I investigated the starter clutch first, followed by valve clearances. Exhaust collars are tight, then checked the clutch.
                        Nothing looked odd, APE nut was tight, then noticed one of the case half plates phillip screws was loose as well as another.
                        The half moon one right behind clutch. Hoping this is the rattle but I doubt it.
                        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                          Trying find source of rattle in engine. Sounds like cam chain, but an APE manual one didn't solve it.
                          I investigated the starter clutch first, followed by valve clearances. Exhaust collars are tight, then checked the clutch.
                          Nothing looked odd, APE nut was tight, then noticed one of the case half plates phillip screws was loose as well as another.
                          The half moon one right behind clutch. Hoping this is the rattle but I doubt it.
                          Ive been trying to find one (engine rattle) for 17 years now..... I never thought to check those plates when I had the clutch out a couple of years ago.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                            Please educate me. I have two questions:

1) what is a "case half plate"? I have an intermittent rattle in my '81 GS850G that I've about decided is the damper springs on the backside of the clutch basket, but I haven't taken the time yet to check them.
                            2) what is an APE nut?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              Ive been trying to find one (engine rattle) for 17 years now..... I never thought to check those plates when I had the clutch out a couple of years ago.
                              I haven't started it yet, for fear of the noise still being there.
                              I carefully cleaned female and male threads where the plates go, added red loctite, but have broken three of them and the screws have backed out on more than a few occasions.
                              I believe the helical gear on the clutch pulls against this plate, plus I'm missing the C-ring behind this plate.
                              It cracked off many years ago.
                              Also the piano wire in the clutch hub popped out damaging one of my brand new OEM clutch fibers.
                              I had the little cross-X ends of the wire properly seated and the wire surrounded popped into it recesses.
                              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
                                Please educate me. I have two questions:

1) what is a "case half plate"? I have an intermittent rattle in my '81 GS850G that I've about decided is the damper springs on the backside of the clutch basket, but I haven't taken the time yet to check them.
                                2) what is an APE nut?

Thanks for your help!
                                Not sure it's the same on a 850, but it just a plate shaped more like a crecent moon with three countersunk phillip head screws securing case halfs behind the clutch hub. My loose screw was nearly or maybe grazing the oil pump drive gear (the one the clutch hub engages).
                                There's 2 other plates back there above the shift rod with similar phillip head screws.

The APE nut is just a stronger steel nut for the clutch hub, the stock one tends to stretch causing the threads to widen and often one finds the nut loose even when the lock washer is bent over.

Comment

Working...
                                X