No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday I set the tach drive seal the Cooley. New cam end plugs and new cover gasket and buttoned it up. Today I troubleshot the non working fuel gauge which turned out that I broke the wire at the connection when removing the tank a while ago. Recrimped the end back on and soldered it up. Then put the gauges and fairing back on the bike. Power washed the bike and then broke down a set of carbs for a 72 CB450 twin project.

In between did 2 loads of laundry....Im done!!!
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Stripped down a GS650g parts bike I had because I sold the engine. I'll get it delivered tomorrow and finish sorting the remaining parts. Making space for new blood....
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

New blood????, interesting....... Geez Charlie, that picture makes it looks almost balmy.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          New blood????, interesting....... Geez Charlie, that picture makes it looks almost balmy.
          7 C, not to bad if you wait till 2 in the afternoon. We had snow on Wednesday.
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

My original petcock for my Cooley had a small crack in the diaphragm...so I replaced it with an old I had laying around here and ordered a new one. I had used a product called metal rescue on the rusty tank....lots of crap came out but still not perfect. I put in an inline fuel filter just in case.
            I took the tank off and realized the tank needed to be done again....
            The filter...

I feel like I rushed the tank...dumb...being impatient to get on the bike. So this time I got some brushes and used nuts and bolts to shake around to get in the corners....I was going to use small rocks but decided on the nuts and bolts because I could put my magnet wand in the tank after to get them out...

Yeah...not good...

And the old pet cock

So did the soaking all weekend and installed the petcock.....the metal rescue says there is no need to coat the tank if you are putting gas into it right away....just empty, swish around some gas...then fill her up! We will see....

Got it back together tonight and fired it up.....man that Kerker sounds great! Imo...

No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
              My original petcock for my Cooley had a small crack in the diaphragm...so I replaced it with an old I had laying around here and ordered a new one. I had used a product called metal rescue on the rusty tank....lots of crap came out but still not perfect. I put in an inline fuel filter just in case.
              The filter...
              I feel like I rushed the tank...dumb...being impatient to get on the bike. So this time I got some brushes and used nuts and bolts to shake around to get in the corners....I was going to use small rocks but decided on the nuts and bolts because I could put my magnet wand in the tank after to get them out...

So did the soaking all weekend and installed the petcock.....the metal rescue says there is no need to coat the tank if you are putting gas into it right away....just empty, swish around some gas...then fill her up! We will see....

Got it back together tonight and fired it up.....man that Kerker sounds great! Imo...
              something I've read about but haven't tried myself as yet for cleaning tanks...instead of nuts and bolts it was suggested using a short length of old drive chain to shake around in the tank and to tie a wire to the end of the chain for easier retrieval...
              1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                The filter...

Yeah...not good...

And the old pet cock

Might want to try reverse electrolysis. I did it to my Generator that sat outside for 3 years. Pretty simple if you have an adjustable battery charger. The rust will actually migrate from the tank to the steel electrode. You won't believe how much comes out. When it slows down clean off the electrode and do it some more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyG0mu2T4u0
                sigpic
                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                1983 GS1100e
                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                1980 GS1260
                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                  Might want to try reverse electrolysis. I did it to my Generator that sat outside for 3 years. Pretty simple if you have an adjustable battery charger. The rust will actually migrate from the tank to the steel electrode. You won't believe how much comes out. When it slows down clean off the electrode and do it some more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyG0mu2T4u0
                  Well for now Bob, I have bare metal in the tank...no rust....fingers crossed.
                  No signature

Comment

Might want to add a sacrificial anode.Something to corrode instead of - or more properly, ahead of - the steel.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Longer term prevention is to always use red Chevron petrol - no ethanol, but you probably already know that...

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                        Longer term prevention is to always use red Chevron petrol - no ethanol, but you probably already know that...
                        That's all I use in all my vehicles...
                        No signature

Comment

We can't get non-ethanol in most US cities. Particularly in the winter. I use Sta-Bil Marine 360. The farm lobby is looking to boost Ethanol content to 15% or more
                          sigpic
                          1983 GS1100e
                          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                          1980 GS1260

Comment

Avgas? Sooper high octane?? Or is that befouled with the drinking liquid?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                              Avgas? Sooper high octane?? Or is that befouled with the drinking liquid?
                              We can buy race gas for $70-ish a 5-gallon can, and there is one station nearby that sells compliant unleaded 101 octane (with ethanol) for $8\gal from the pump. Pretty inconvenient. I try to ride each bike at least monthly during the winter.
                              Last edited by bobgroger; 12-13-2016, 04:04 PM.
                              sigpic
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260

Comment

We have a couple small bike shops around here that you can buy race gas in leaded and unleaded and in various octanes by the gallon.
                                Ive got Keihin FCR-MX carb on one of my quads that it doesn't seem to matter what I do to the gas when I store it for more that about 6 weeks it will "seize" the float needle (aluminum) to its holder (brass)... like where I have to use pliers to remove the needle valve. Ive used Stabil, Marvel, and both... it always does it. Something about the two different materials in the float valve that do not like the sit with ethanol. About the only luck Ive had was shutting off the petcock valve and draining the carb.
                                All of my other quads seem just fine with just Stabil through the winter storage.
                                1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
                                X