what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Rebuild To Steve - Feb 2017

Removed carbs and sending to Steve for rebuild. Thanks Steve!!!

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Raining here today, so toying around with stripping more of the CB900f.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

I HATE DOING THIS.. I HATE IT WITH ALL OF MY LIFE!!
        But i love the result! Hahahahahahaha
        I build Pipers

Comment

Looking good.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            Raining here today, so toying around with stripping more of the CB900f.
            Whats a cb900f look like
            I build Pipers

Comment

This is what a nice version of the breed looks like.

CB900f.jpg
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

I found the recent cleanup of my exhaust to be tedious and not fun work....

I did a few odds and ends - when I took a ride last week the bike went into a headshake after I hit a bump with one hand on the bars. After last summers fork rebuild and subsequent leaky seal which was repaired ( my error during assembly- one seal was installed upside down) I wasnt sure if the oil level in the forks was correct. I drained both today and refilled to be sure they were equal. I also found one of those dumb PDF pods in between settings. I also gave them a tiny shot of air. On tonights ride it seemed much better.

I recently bought new rubber grommets (correct Suzuki parts) that hold on the fairing mid panels. I put them on hoping that losing the makeshift ones I had would ease installation.... nope. Between the PO, and 2 incidents during my ownership, I think all of the fairing bracketry is bent making lining up the 4 mid panel tabs a painful test of patience. After doing some tweaking and adjusting, I got them on. Its annoying enough to make me want to just abandon them..... Until I see them on the bike. My younger son (11) actually hung out with me in the garage tonight.. he wanted to take apart / break things, so I gave him an electric motor from my scrap pile to open up. We did that, I showed and named the components (GS stator 101?)then he beat it up with a hammer. Then he took some soft copper tubing that I gave him and he hammered it into a "knife". Him being with me helped keep my frustration levels about the brackets in check.

He also told me that he wants to clean up and make the Rusty Old Scooter nice. Funny that... He has minimal regard for the GS, but he loves the scooter.
                I may do an other projects thread if we do it.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

You should! What kinda scooter is it ?
                  I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    I found the recent cleanup of my exhaust to be tedious and not fun work....

I did a few odds and ends - when I took a ride last week the bike went into a headshake after I hit a bump with one hand on the bars. After last summers fork rebuild and subsequent leaky seal which was repaired ( my error during assembly- one seal was installed upside down) I wasnt sure if the oil level in the forks was correct. I drained both today and refilled to be sure they were equal. I also found one of those dumb PDF pods in between settings. I also gave them a tiny shot of air. On tonights ride it seemed much better.

I recently bought new rubber grommets (correct Suzuki parts) that hold on the fairing mid panels. I put them on hoping that losing the makeshift ones I had would ease installation.... nope. Between the PO, and 2 incidents during my ownership, I think all of the fairing bracketry is bent making lining up the 4 mid panel tabs a painful test of patience. After doing some tweaking and adjusting, I got them on. Its annoying enough to make me want to just abandon them..... Until I see them on the bike. My younger son (11) actually hung out with me in the garage tonight.. he wanted to take apart / break things, so I gave him an electric motor from my scrap pile to open up. We did that, I showed and named the components (GS stator 101?)then he beat it up with a hammer. Then he took some soft copper tubing that I gave him and he hammered it into a "knife". Him being with me helped keep my frustration levels about the brackets in check.

He also told me that he wants to clean up and make the Rusty Old Scooter nice. Funny that... He has minimal regard for the GS, but he loves the scooter.
                    I may do an other projects thread if we do it.
                    Time spent like that with your boy is a priceless investment in not only his future, but yours after he moves out.

My oldest stepson, 28 yrs old now, just came to visit last week. He's a fireman in Southern CA. and has four kids himself. Anyway, while he was on his 48 hour shift his wife called him with a plumbing emergency. His only answer was "call a plumber I can't leave". They tried to gouge her with tearing the wall out and replacing the shower valve which would have cost buku bucks. Upon my boy's advice she got water from the sink for baths until he got home. It turned out to be a three dollar part from Home Depot and the problem was solved. His landlord was so pleased they took a couple hundred bucks off the rent.

Now, the rest of the story; while he was here he said that working with me as a teenager gave him the confidence to try things and if he didn't know how to fix something, find out how and do it. He also shared that he recently installed a floor for his father in law, which gave him major respect in the family, and thanked me once again for the experience of working together.

Please forgive the long winded reply Glen, but father son, or daughter for that matter, time is to be cherished!
                    Last edited by Burque73; 02-20-2017, 10:33 AM. Reason: missed one word
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I miss my father (and mother) massively. He was a Porsche mechanic and raced British cars (Morris Minors, Mini Coopers, Bugeye Sprites and, for a time, an MGA), rode Triumphs, and got me into motors. He died three years ago, but even in 2012, he helped me set up my Miata for autocross, and as we worked (mostly me doing things, and him pointing out better ways to proceed) he talked as always about all the times I had spent with him in the garage. I can't imagine what my life would have been like without all of that magic.

He did say often, though, that he wished I hadn't taken to motorcycles so hard and fast. I was an addict as soon as I had my first bike (a YZ80A). My brother also got the bike bug, but gave it up when he remarried a much younger (and very attractive-read, persuasive in good ways) woman who hates motorcycles. This is why I now own his CB900f.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                        Whats a cb900f look like
                        Sorry, I couldn't help it
                        For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.
                        sigpic
                        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260
                        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I should make the scooter project a go this summer....
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Yes you should!!

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                              You should! What kinda scooter is it ?
                              This... 1965 Raleigh Roma. Seems to be quite rare, and parts availability is nil, but thankfully it runs good, and is mostly complete.
                              http://
                              sigpic

Glen
                              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Restomod thread, Glen!
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X