No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Saturday I went to do an oil and filter change on my GS550ES, but was halted in my tracks by the 21mm drain bolt. I didn't have anything this large on hand and had to go out and buy a new socket. The problem I ran into at the store was that they don't sell 21mm sockets for a 3/8" drive ratchet. I had to buy a new 1/2" ratchet wrench along with a 5" extension and of course the socket. Not cheap, but at least I now have the proper wrench combo. Still cheaper than getting it done at the dealership.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
      Last Saturday I went to do an oil and filter change on my GS550ES, but was halted in my tracks by the 21mm drain bolt. I didn't have anything this large on hand and had to go out and buy a new socket. The problem I ran into at the store was that they don't sell 21mm sockets for a 3/8" drive ratchet. I had to buy a new 1/2" ratchet wrench along with a 5" extension and of course the socket. Not cheap, but at least I now have the proper wrench combo. Still cheaper than getting it done at the dealership.
      Ya coulda used the same thing you use to change your spark plugs.
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

could have just bought the socket and a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter...cheaoer anyways.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          could have just bought the socket and a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter...cheaoer anyways.
          Yah.....an adapter and socket would have worked, but for a few extra bucks I now have a decent 1/2" socket wrench so it's all good.

Comment

Got my fork seals,lock ring and dust seals now all I need is my springs to be delivered.

Comment

Bolted the lower mounts for highway bars to the front motor mounts would measure the rest at work tomorrow except I snapped my clutch cable on the way home tonight.

Comment

Better now than on the way to Moosehead, work out all the kinks now.

Comment

Originally posted by kng254 View Post
                  Got my fork seals,lock ring and dust seals now all I need is my springs to be delivered.
                  Also going to install telefix fork brace I picked up for 60 bucks.

Comment

I am looking at the new connectors that have arrived and now I am trying to work out what crimper to use to do a good job on the uninsulated bullet connectors, male and female.
                    Any help with recommendations is more than welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
                      Better now than on the way to Moosehead, work out all the kinks now.

Too true, thats why I ordered 2 clutches and a throttle cable ,spares for the ones that make the bike unridable

Comment

What did you wrench on today?

As some of you know, I have precious little knowledge and experience in the area of wrenching.

But these boards are working on me, bit by bit.

Armed with intuition and edified with the bit of knowledge picked up reading this and that here, I diagnosed a problem with my lawn mower... It was going RRR-rrr-RRR-rrr-RRR-rrr instead of RRR-RRR-RRR-RRR-RRR, and it started to stall even while running and hot.

I decided it was a problem with either fuel or air getting to the engine so I replaced the air filter, emptied and disconnected the gas tank, looked at the carburator, poked it, put everything back together, and I think it's running better now.

Baby steps
                        "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
                          As some of you know, I have precious little knowledge and experience in the area of wrenching.

But these boards are working on me, bit by bit.

Armed with intuition and edified with the bit of knowledge picked up reading this and that here, I diagnosed a problem with my lawn mower... It was going RRR-rrr-RRR-rrr-RRR-rrr instead of RRR-RRR-RRR-RRR-RRR, and it started to stall even while running and hot.

I decided it was a problem with either fuel or air getting to the engine so I replaced the air filter, emptied and disconnected the gas tank, looked at the carburator, poked it, put everything back together, and I think it's running better now.

Baby steps
                          Good start, KF.

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step."
                          (author unknown).

Back to orignal topic.

Question:
                          Does chopping up a dinged, non-titled KZ1000ST frame with a Sawzall count as "wrenching"...?

(I did salvage some miscellaneous small bits, which required hand tools).

Comment

Set out to check valve clearances , replace half moons and replace broken clutch cable most of the evening got filled with a stuck and then stripped screw in the ignition cover .
                            Finally got it out with a hammer and center punch (my impact driver broke last year need to get a new one ).Got the valves done and the half moons in by dark and dinner quess I will do the clutch tomorrow morning. Getting a set of stainless Allen heads for this soon.

Comment

MDI Shocks

Ordered some Emgo shocks from crc2 on Monday night. The mailman dropped them off this afternoon. The box they came in said "MDI", but I guess they're all the same. Took about a half hour with a little help from a neighbor. The bushings were kind of hard to get into the eyes, so I ended up using a little cooking spray. Slid right in.

The ride is definitely stiff, but I'm larger than I ought to be, so it evens out. What I don't feel anymore is a high frequency vibration in the rear end at speeds over 30 mph. So far, so good.

Tomorrow I'm gonna change the oil. Fun times.

Comment

rear wheel

getting new tire on today and been spending the day (off and on) getting the rear wheel off. Can't work with grand kids around or other (to do) lists so been spacing it out. Can't wait to put back on, that's gonna be a trial. First time and all. These are some pics of my spline etc. Look pretty good? Wheel = front edge (face) worn about a 1/16th but the rest looks as I think it should anyways.

Comment

Working...
                                X