what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pb9717 View Post
    I am NOT rebuilding the master cylinder or the calipers. I'm trying to avoid doing more than is needed. This job can become a real money pit, which I'm trying to avoid. ( plus I dont know how to rebuild a caliper, or a master cylinder, and the light switch actuator in the front brake handle is an easy piece to lose should I need to disassemble.) I'm assuming the new pads, refinished rotor and steel lines is gonna be enough...Oh, and the fork brace is ordered.
    Pete,

Look at Post 56 to see how dirty the caliper was on my "T".

It's not an expensive rebuild...Takes more time letting it sit in solvent and using a fine wire brush to get all the gunk out.

Your call...I had lots of time while I was on the road (solo) so it kept me occupied.

Ed
    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-06-2017, 10:48 PM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

My old starter didn't want to play.... OK it just plain didn't work. I pulled it apart.. seems it's full of what is left of the brushes. Now where did I put the glue?

gs1100gk 1985 (x 2)
      gs850g 1980
      Previously owned
      gs1100gk 1984(just sold).
      gs850g x 2 '79, '80, gs1100gk x 2 '84, '85, gs1000 '78, gs1100g '82, gr650 '82, Buell x 2 '99 & '09, Harley xlch '65, Yam vmax '95, FJ1100 '82, Honda 500/4 '74, Kwaka z250 '80...

Comment

I was trying to find why (in my opinion) a coworkers Buell was underpowered, would not revv smoothly and sputter at random times. Found a vacuum port that the California versions had going to some emissions stuff. This little guy was supposed to be capped off.... Test ride first thing in the morning.

17795830_629936290536979_9140074877401847239_n.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Joegs1100gk View Post
          My old starter didn't want to play.... OK it just plain didn't work. I pulled it apart.. seems it's full of what is left of the brushes. Now where did I put the glue?

$25 rebuild kit and it's all good. In the meantime.... use a razor to make the dust fine, put it in little viles...you know what the street value of that stuff is.... lol

don't forget some good contact cleaner

Comment

Rebuilding the carbs on my GSX1100G. Try as I may to keep track of all the little bitty parts, I've lost one of the little pilot fuel screw washers. Dang! Headed over to S&K Racing this afternoon to see if they have one they'd let me have.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Motor swap on a 16 ss camaro. 4200 miles and the new lt1 spun the no.3 main. Pays 15.1 hours im in it at 8 so far gonna drop the car on the motor in the early am tomorrow hopefullyill may a paycheck for next Friday..
              I build Pipers

Comment

Any way of knowing HOW he spun a bearing in 4200 miles?

Comment

Seems like they're about to put out a recall, the guy from gm tac said its not the first and not the last. Could be bad bearing or insufficient oiling
                  I build Pipers

Comment

Hmmmm..... that doesn't speak very well of GM's engineering or quality control. I REALLY want to believe that GM and Ford engineering is competitive with the Japanese, but stuff like this really worries me. I had a '95 Ford Taurus with the 3.8 liter V6, with 50k miles require a new engine because one of the head gaskets leaked and allowed the oil and water to mix. That experience soured me on Ford for a LONG time; after all, Ford and GM are not new at this car-building thing. They should know better by now.

Comment

Finally got the front end together on my "T". Only thing left is the steel brake line, and fork brace. and this part is done....

I like the color change from black to silver on the rotor and hardware. Withe the forks polished, it seems to look more......... current..?
                      PB
                      Central Jersey
                      82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
                        Hmmmm..... that doesn't speak very well of GM's engineering or quality control. I REALLY want to believe that GM and Ford engineering is competitive with the Japanese, but stuff like this really worries me. I had a '95 Ford Taurus with the 3.8 liter V6, with 50k miles require a new engine because one of the head gaskets leaked and allowed the oil and water to mix. That experience soured me on Ford for a LONG time; after all, Ford and GM are not new at this car-building thing. They should know better by now.
                        I always had fords but in 2014 i got an h3 alfa with the 5.3 then traded it in for a 15 sonic rs loved the h3 absolutely amazing truck the sonic which is now on the previous gen chevy line up was pretty low quality. Never left me stranded but was just a crappy ride. I just got a focus st in December fully loaded and man let me tell you the ford quality is out standing! No squeeks or rattles all the panels fit it has a proper clutch and gear box that you can feel the gears and feel the clutch grab.. its the perfect sub 30k hot hatch where as the sonic rs for the same price had 90 hp less the same suspension as the base the same engine as the base and a clutch you could push with your pinky.. the flywheel is a 2 peice which made it kinda bouncy when youd let off the clutch. The shifter was about as good as my 92 geo metro. And all the squeeks and rattles you could expect from a 13k car with a body kit marked up to about 27 out the door . 13k being the base model price.. ill never work at a ford dealer as a tech but i 100% believe that the current generation of ford is better than the current gen chevy/gm
                        I build Pipers

Comment

Finally got the front end together on my "T". Only thing left is the steel brake line, and fork brace. and this part is done....

I like the color change from black to silver on the rotor and hardware. Withe the forks polished, it seems to look more......... current..?
                          super tidy, job well done.
                          Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hi. I followed your link to your Photobucket pics. Nice bike! Really, really clean. That is my goal for my 850G.

One of the things my bike still needs is to have the wheels detailed; there is some discoloration from corrosion. How did you get yours as nice as they are?

Comment

Lookin' good!!!

Ed
                              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
                                Hi. I followed your link to your Photobucket pics. Nice bike! Really, really clean. That is my goal for my 850G.

One of the things my bike still needs is to have the wheels detailed; there is some discoloration from corrosion. How did you get yours as nice as they are?
                                They were in fairly good shape when I bought the bike. Only thing I did was degrease, and thoroughly clean em. The brake dust and years of neglect made it a bit daunting. Even after I thought they were clean, they'd dry and have more film on them. The pics don't reflect, but even during re-assembly I had to stop and continue removing additional dirt. and they're still not completely clean, but enough for me. I'm not into resto work. I just want the bike 100% mechanically, but when I have to disassemble sections, I just take some extra time to buff things a little, and remove years of dirt. After my last ride, which was during a melt after a snowstorm, I really dirtied up the bike. Not looking forward to cleaning the engine again, and the exhaust is covered in road grime too.

I find brillo pads cut through the initial stuff, then its up to you how far you wanna go to renew the rims. I just lucked out. Mine were decent looking after the brillo took the initial grime off.
                                PB

another pic

PB
                                Central Jersey
                                82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Working...
                                X