Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work, Pete!

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Getting ready to spoon on some new shinko 230s as the rear is toast and the front is not far behind.

First though is the process of making the wheels accept tubeless tires. I hope the 2nd wheel goes better than the 1st one. Kind of a pain in the arse to get the new valve stem installed.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
        There are guys in your area that have the synch tool, if spending the cash or time isn't convenient for you...
        Yeah, I thought about calling Steve but opted to buy something new (vacuum set instead of mercury) and do it myself. I'd rather do it myself it at all possible. Steve has helped me out several times on other issues though.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Nice work on the polishing, Pb.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Pete, polishing looks great!!! I can't wait to see this bike in person!

I just dropped my front wheel to have a new tire mounted. Also have to do the bearings while the wheel is off.

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
              Pete, polishing looks great!!! I can't wait to see this bike in person!

I just dropped my front wheel to have a new tire mounted. Also have to do the bearings while the wheel is off.
              good opportunity to polish the forks......much easier without the wheel there.
              PB
              Central Jersey
              82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Lots of what could be polished on my bike is currently painted. I'd like to clean up some of the engine bits, but that also has been painted. Eventually, a complete tear down will be done... eventually

Comment

Decided it was time to replace the 18 year old fork springs in the Trophy. Ordered up a set of Race Tech springs. I am going to let the forks drain overnight, and put them back on tomorrow. I need to get some oil, anyway.

Just FYI, I order the springs from this place, http://www.powersportparts.net/ They charged $104, which was considerably cheaper than Race Tech at $130, or Motorcycle Superstore at $124, and shipping was free. I ordered yesterday, Wednesday, and they arrived today, Thursday! The company is located in Texas, so not only free, but FAST shipping.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Great polishing job Pete. Did you do them with the covers on the bike and if so what did you use?
                    Mike
                    sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
                    1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

Finished the back patio. Powerwashed and painted the floor, put out the furniture, and finished installing the free used drinking fountain. And like most free things designed to contain liquids... it had leaks. The awning and corrugated fiberglass covering still look like a horror. To be addressed later, like next year.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Looks great, Glen! Home projects are ALWAYS a pain but seeing them come together is a great feeling.

Comment

Thanks. Painting the dark and stained concrete brightened up the space tremendously.
                          My wife is planning to spend time out there recuperating.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by michaelj_444 View Post
                            Great polishing job Pete. Did you do them with the covers on the bike and if so what did you use?
                            Mike
                            No. I removed the cover from the bike. My back would not be able to take all the rubbing needed to get the corrosion off the aluminum on this bike if I had to polish it assembled. Plus, as this bike has never been truly maintained from a cosmetic perspective (and don't get me started on the mechanical shortcomings uncovered since it arrived), All the polishing has been off the bike, with a motor mounted buffing wheel, and a drill with a harbor freight headlight polishing kit. My buffer has a sisal wheel and a cotton wheel. Plus, I have to remove the clear coat with aircraft spray on paint remover before even attempting to get the corrosion off. Theres no way to really use that with the pieces mounted. I also use scotchbrite material buffing "balls" that are sold at Harbor Freight as well. They're 400 grit. Then I reduce the grit gradually, to 500, then 800 wetsanded with a drill motor using the pads included in the headlight kit, then the sisal wheel with black polish, then the cotton wheel with white polish.

Finally, I will be putting Wizards Power seal on all the polished aluminum, as I do not want to spray clear coat ( which I'll likely mess up). The Power seal will keep moisture from penetrating the porous aluminum that's been sanded and polished.

The next piece to do is the stator cover ( Which I started removing only to discover its an oil containing section of the engine, so I immediately reinstalled the screws until I get a new gasket.) Its a mess, way worse than the ignition side...take a look. I'll post before and afters in a week or so when I clean it up and put the new decal on. Its a prime example of how poorly the bike was neglected. The prior owner just kept it garaged and changed the fluids it appears. wish me luck...

PB
                            Central Jersey
                            82' Suzuki GS750T

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              Finished the back patio. Powerwashed and painted the floor, put out the furniture, and finished installing the free used drinking fountain. And like most free things designed to contain liquids... it had leaks. The awning and corrugated fiberglass covering still look like a horror. To be addressed later, like next year.
                              Very Nice.....a little sangria, and some jazz, and you got a party on that patio...
                              PB
                              Central Jersey
                              82' Suzuki GS750T

Comment

fork seal replacement project

Went okay so far.
                                Allen bolt on bottom of fork put up something of a fight, but got past that.

NOw the snag is that the old seals are putting up a fight.
                                Picture to show that, yes, did get out the retaining clip.

Prying and poking not doing much so far.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                                X