No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triumph thunderbird starter clutch saga !. So I stripped it down to its component parts and found the spring holding the rollers snapped, bottom right of pic. I found a oil seal from a Ford engine in my bits and bobs stash with a spring that would do the job the spring is bottom centre and seal on left. Assembled it and it seams to be OK, I will refit gearbox and bottom crankcase and bench test it, with any luck it will be fine.

URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/dennismarkharland/media/20170516_093011_zpsccmjezky.jpg.html][/URL]
    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Found out on Sunday while re-greasing my steering head bearings that one of the brake caliper seals felt the need to vacate its home. Fortunately for me, Competition Accessories, now Ride 1 Powersports, was open and could get them by today. Seals did come in as promised and the calipers are rebuilt; now just need to bleed them tomorrow evening as I ran out of time tonight (11pm is about as late as I want to stay at the garage).
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Finished with the steerring neck bearing replacements.

Got the parts for the forktube rebuild.
        Finished that, and got the fork tubes back in place.
        THen found these on my bench. Doooaaaahhhh
        I hate it when I do that..............
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
          Put a trailer hitch on my Passat to haul the bike to the dragstrip. Hitch install was no problem, then I find out there is one light bulb on each side that is PWM controlled by the computer so that one bulb does tail, brake, and turn signal. Not going to hook up a trailer plug to that. So the appropriate $55 converter box will be here tomorrow from Amazon one-day and I will try again. Race is Wednesday, bike is too lean, jets that were supposed to be here last Wednesday are not. Who has time for work?

I have to say the Wide band Lambda controller may be the single best tool I have ever bought. No more chasing your tail
          You work Bob???
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
            You work Bob???
            Work is what you do until you get smart instead
            Honestly, I do work a lot. But I stash my acorns in the winter so I can slack off a bit in the warmer months. If they ever get here.
            I am planning a pretty drastic lifestyle change this year so I can devote more time to not working....
            sigpic
            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
            1983 GS1100e
            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
            1980 GS1260
            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Got the Triumph thunderbird starter clutch and gearbox refitted. Bolted down lower crankcase and turned it the right way up. Connected some booster cables, it cranks good !!. Just have to refit it now and see how long this repair lasts.

URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/dennismarkharland/media/20170516_120159_zps1almlk9k.jpg.html][/URL]
              My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

I don't ever want to see my transmission gears.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Got front end back together, front wheel back on.
                  Seemed that everything was frustrating, like drop an nut and rolls to were cant see it, stuff like that.
                  Maybe it was the long hetic day at work, may it was that was near 80 and humid in the garage.

THen the battery rubber hold down strap was being uncooperative.
                  Decided to walk away, go inside, and come back tommorow.

Then wife says the car "mirror fell off".
                  I was asking which mirror, and if fell off or got knocked off, just the glass or the whole thing.
                  SHe is telling me where she was going, and what had happened before, and telling me several other things of what happend during the day, but not saying which mirror and not saying what had happened, other than "mirror fell off".
                  And we were both getting annoyed with each other for interrupting each other. arrugggghhhh.
                  Eventaully she points to the rear view mirror on the counter. It is intact, looks like it came off the metal tab/base/mount. I asked and she did say the metal mount was still on the windshield. So got my torks set, and back out to the garage. Took care of that in a minute. No problem.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Lordy, been busy working on girl friends bikes, got Jen's bike done and started on Alma's now lol. Clutch pack kit, chain and sprockets for Jen, windshield, bags and chain for Alma. Oh and probably brake pads for Cindy's...next? lol
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Finishing up my restoration on my 1984 GS550ES. Bled the front brakes calipers and anti divers, relocated my front turn signals up to the side of the nose cowl, need to wet sand and prime and paint my front cowl which I begin on soon. Mount the nose cowl. Check all fasteners for tightness and take it for a ride. Already have had it running with new jets in both carbs. It sounds awesome with my Vance and Hines 4 into one Header with new baffle. Magnafique

Comment

Got front end back together, front wheel back on.
                        Seemed that everything was frustrating, like drop an nut and rolls to were cant see it, stuff like that.
                        Maybe it was the long hetic day at work, may it was that was near 80 and humid in the garage.

THen the battery rubber hold down strap was being uncooperative.
                        Decided to walk away, go inside, and come back tommorow.

I was asking which mirror, and if fell off or got knocked off, just the glass or the whole thing.
                        SHe is telling me where she was going, and what had happened before, and telling me several other things of what happend during the day, but not saying which mirror and not saying what had happened, other than "mirror fell off".
                        And we were both getting annoyed with each other for interrupting each other. arrugggghhhh.
                        Eventaully she points to the rear view mirror on the counter. It is intact, looks like it came off the metal tab/base/mount. I asked and she did say the metal mount was still on the windshield. So got my torks set, and back out to the garage. Took care of that in a minute. No problem.

Yep, It's been Monday all week for me too. Glad the mirror repair was easy though. Similar thing for us as well, her day was as frustrating as mine. One thing for sure, no difficult discussion till after dinner, otherwise it's all over amd I'm in the dog house, again!

At least the 850 is running great. I can run for groceries after dinner tonight. It's 1/4 mile to the store, should only take an hour. Hehehe
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                          Lordy, been busy working on girl friends bikes, got Jen's bike done and started on Alma's now lol. Clutch pack kit, chain and sprockets for Jen, windshield, bags and chain for Alma. Oh and probably brake pads for Cindy's...next? lol
                          Woohoo nothing for Cindy, she just bought a new 2016 BMW R1200RS yesterday lol.KIMG0025.jpg
                          Last edited by mrbill5491; 05-19-2017, 11:07 AM.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

She is telling me where she was going, and what had happened before, and telling me several other things of what happened during the day, but not saying which mirror and not saying what had happened, other than "mirror fell off".
                            Eventaully she

I get that all the time. It must be a female thing. Ask a simple yes or no question and get a 30 minute, play by play of how the day went. LOL
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Spent the past three days pulling , polishing and reassembling the stator and sprocket covers on the "T".

here's the before...

and the after..

and my reward for all my hard work.... a leaking stator cover....

so, tomorrow I'll pull the cover, check for remnants of the prior gasket, clean all surfaces, including the replacement gasket, and apply some yamaha gasket sealer. Should do the trick.

Another bite in the ass is the top center screw-hole for the stator cover has a hairline crack in the casing, so the screw will not tighten. you can see it in the "leaky" pic. Not sure what my options are there. good times.

Oh, and I removed the rubber from the pegs in an effort to gain an inch of drop for my feet. I find my knees are at a 90 degree angle when seated. after a while they get a little tight. I considered rearsets, but $300 bucks from fastfromthepast for the tarozzi's or even more from Raask is just too dear from my wallet. And it was nice to find shiny polished steel pegs under the rubber. As you might be able to tell, I like shiny things.

Also, enduro bars/grips are gone. Had to cannibalize them for the DT, which has the original bars in a nice rusted and bent condition. Put bikemaster Daytona bars and street bike grips with end weights on er'. I'm liking them better than the enduro bars as they're an inch shorter and do not obstruct the clocks.
                              Last edited by Pb9717; 05-19-2017, 11:12 PM.
                              PB
                              Central Jersey
                              82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Man...... that's a pretty bike you got there! I'm hoping my 850G will look that nice some day.

I have a question for you: in the first "before" shot, you showed the front of the engine casing (as opposed to the engine cover) where it had some fairly significant flaking of the silver paint. In addition to polishing the cover, did you also repaint the case? If so, what paint did you use? I'm trying to find the right paint to touch up the cases on my 850.

As for the cracked screw hole, I don't think that's too big of a problem. My first thought is to fill the hole with an epoxy that can be drilled, then just re-tap it (but of course, be sure to get the hole good and clean before you fill it with epoxy). JB Weld has a pretty broad selection of products; I'll bet one of them would work for this application. Other folks on here might have a simpler solution.

Good luck and let us know what you came up with!

Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X