No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My block has KZ's, Triumph Bonneville's, a Goldwing but only one Suzuki GS. I know there are at least five Suzuki GS's in town (yes, I keep count every time I see one) including mine. Two other GSR members (an 82 1100 [GL] and a 79 750 [?], and two I've seen in front of stores (GS 450L and GS 1100E). I'm sure there are more, just what I've seen. That 750 is pretty modified with pipes and pods but real nice looking.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I would love to have a Bonneville. My GS is the nicest one on the block, but....
      And Rick, you have a cool job!
      Alan

sigpic
      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]51278[/ATTACH]
        Fork seals and Sonic springs. Also put on some new headlight ears while I'm in there.
        After looking at it in the air I'm thinking a bobber unicycle, what do you guys think?
        I would pay good money to watch the 1st ride on the uni-bobber
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Such a nice day here, so I thought I would do some work on my Thunderbird project. Front and rear mudguards / fenders have a few rust spiders under the paint, so I've prepped and primed them outside to save moving all the bikes out of the garage. I will have to do topcoat and lacquer inside !.

My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
            I prepped and test road four bikes that were being sold, each needing this or that, but I was suppose the be reassembling an engine. I only got in enough time to clean the mating surface of the block and put the tranny back in with the new 1st-5th gear set and shift forks. Tomorrow I get to turn this pile of parts back into a Busa engine. Woohoo!
            Do you work on any ZX-14 stuff???
            I only ask for I plan on buying a ZG1400 lump and infusing some ZX-14 performance bits into it... I'd like to reach 200WHP on the Connie.
            I'd love your input and advice...
            Thanks
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I never want to see my transmission gears.

(although something back there is singing to me)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I installed my Lockhart oil cooler I bought from a member here. Not sure why, but it had to be mounted upside down. It bolts directly to the bolts in the frame that the horns bolt to. It wouldn't mount right side up in that location. Also, I couldn't get the "LOCKHART" cover on. It has welded in bolts, and is supposed to mount to the holes used to mount the cooler to the frame. Since the frame has nuts welded in, and the cover has nuts welded in, there was no way I could use it. Not happy with the fact that I had to route the hoses opposite from how they are supposed to be. I might consider making a plate to do it correctly.

Since the cooler came off of a GK, and I have a G, I'm wondering how it mounts on the GK. Maybe the horns mount somewhere else or there are no nuts welded into the frame.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

put an SH847 R/R on the Black Falcon....need to paint her blue... also new clutch cable, old was stretched to limits. Took a little modification on the mount but it all fit very well. It's nice to be able to put on my blinker and not dim the headlight...been a while since I have seen over 13v on the output lol. Another thing the PO got ripped off on.
                  041.jpg

Comment

All I did was change the oil and filter and adjust the chain on mine ...
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Yesterday, another forum member came over to help me diagnose the high idle riddle on my '81 GS850G. In preparation, we checked all of the valves (all were within spec except for one. Fortunately, he had another shim to correct it), then we did a compression check with the engine cold; about 125psi all the way across. I'm happy with that. We also verified that the installation of the carbs was solid and that there were no air leaks. We ran out of daylight before we could actually do anything with the carbs, so this Tuesday he's coming back over and we'll get to work on them.

And to give credit where credit is due, this other forum member reached out to me after reading my thread about my high idle issue and offered his help. He brought his collection of shims, vacuum sync tool, and a small collection of other tools that are needed to do this job. He lives in Ypsilanti, which is just east of Ann Arbor where I live. Lots of good people on this forum.

Comment

It is OK to name helpful members, you know.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Alright. His name is Charles. Don't know his last name yet. But he rides an '81 850GL that runs pretty well - certainly better than mine!

Comment

Cheers to Charles!
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Well I need to give the Triumph a quick once over before Brown County next week, but today I replaced the rear calipers of the Miata...
                              Poor girl has been neglected the past couple years and needs some loving. The parking brake mechanism on the rear calipers froze up from sitting. Once I get the brakes bleed, I will replace the fronts, which appear to have a stuck piston.

Under the watchful eyes of John...

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                                Do you work on any ZX-14 stuff???
                                I only ask for I plan on buying a ZG1400 lump and infusing some ZX-14 performance bits into it... I'd like to reach 200WHP on the Connie.
                                I'd love your input and advice...
                                Thanks
                                I don't get into the performance side of things or ever get to tinker. The shop I work for is a resale shop, so almost everything I do is repair, hardly ever performance improvement related. I would suggest checking the ZX forums for somes of the guys making big power.

I did get the engine back together without any extra parts left over.

Rides like butter with no more jumping gears, though I had to wait till they found where they put the keys.
                                GSRick
                                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
                                X