what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    A timing light on the #1 and #2 plug wires will also show if there is continuous uninterupted spark. I do this all the time just to visually see the sparking pattern the coil is sending out. Nice and steady then fine. But if it stammers a bit its time to look for loose or bad connections and on bikes with points its time to check their conditions and the gaps.
    I read elsewhere on the forum that the spark plug boots/caps are prone to failure after 36 years (imagine that!), so I pulled all four of mine; two of them were nearly 20k ohms, while the other two were near 10k ohms (the upper limit). I ordered a new set of NGK 5k ohm caps on Ebay and they should arrive maybe by this coming weekend. I then measured the coil resistance: between 1 and 4; 12k ohms and between 2 and 3; 12k ohms. From what I read (on BassCliff's website I think), that is normal, so I'm calling my coils good for now. I also have a set of "45" Mikuni pilot jets on the way on the advise of another member, so I'm hoping that between those and the new plug boots, that will resolve my bad running issues.

Next on the list: going through the Stator Papers and troubleshooting the overheating R/R wires.

Comment

All four of my new spark plug boots arrived today (early!), so I installed them after work - along with all new spark plugs. After sitting for a few days, I pulled the choke lever all the way and the bike started instantly, but it's still not running the way it ought to. Some more fiddling with the carb balance is in order I suspect - but it's getting there!

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
        All four of my new spark plug boots arrived today (early!), so I installed them after work - along with all new spark plugs. After sitting for a few days, I pulled the choke lever all the way and the bike started instantly, but it's still not running the way it ought to. Some more fiddling with the carb balance is in order I suspect - but it's getting there!
        Good. Progress.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Started tearing into the little Geo Tracker I bought as a trail mule. LOTS to do. The right rear brake cylinder is puked, the suspension is worn out, the idle is too low and there doesn't seem to be a working AC idle boost, and it needs cosmetic love.

I love projects like this!
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Got generator running after about 10 years sitting.

I bought a 10HP 5000Watt Generac generator for cheap in 2001.
            Ran if a few times about then, made a cable to backfeed panel. Did run it and power a few things things in the house for about half hour once.
            And then just ran it about once a year for next 4-5 years just to run it.
            And then it has just sat since then, about 10 years. Did have put stable in gas, and did make plastic cover for it.

Was storms last night, lots of power outages in the area, okay here at home though.

So I got out the generator. Gas in tank looked like about half a gallon of think syrup.
            Took off the carb bowl, and after a minute or so the thick gas started to drip out.
            Let it drip out for a while, and then added another half gallon of fresh gas and let that dripp out too. THEn put carb bowl back on, added about a gallon of gas.
            One short spritz of starter spray, one pull and she started right up.

Called a few friends, and they were okay, one was out but had a generator.

Man, that Stable is good stuff.

Adde more Stable, Put the cover back on, and pushed back into back corner of garage.

>>>Later Note: Then about 20 minutes later, contacted someone else, and was getting generator out to them. (so another late night).

And today, will be taking out to church building, for the freezer. And wire into main panel, to power just enough for Sunday service. (Yes, I know what I am doing, well, enough.)
            Last edited by Redman; 07-08-2017, 10:31 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Finished installing new rear turn signal mounts on my bike tonight and put the tank and seat back on. I'll fire it up tomorrow and try to go for a ride for the first time since Brown County
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ha, I just finished the same to fix the attempted escape of my rear turn signal the other day.
                New mounts, and relocated slightly forward and farther apart so they are in no danger of touching the wheel at suspension compression. They stick out farther then I like, but it will do for now.
                I needed a quick fix as I may take a quickie ride tomorrow morning before the days "fun".
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Installed new tubes and tires on my GS750, replaced the fork seals and installed some sonic springs...and `mounted' milk crate to my luggage rack.
                  1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                  1977 GS550
                  1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Changed a leaky fork seal on the 650. Then ordered two new petcock gaskets for the 73 TX750. The black rubber deals with the 4 holes in them. Seems two years in storage and they drip a little. Got the bike home and dumped in a gallon of gas and she fired right off. Nnly problem was the drippy petcocks. Changed the oil in the TX to the Honda HP4 synthetic blend. Hopefully this oil will withstand the foaming and I can get some enjoyment out of riding it a while....without the worry of eating another cam nagging in my brain.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

She was about 3K rounds overdue for a spring replacement...
                      Beretta Spring Replacement by Bob Thieda, on Flickr
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Put a battery in my gs and got it to run. now i got bunch of other stuff to do

Comment

Changed the transmission filter and fluid along with a headlight bulb on the Buick. Hot as balls out there.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

So I had to find a new car after my 2010 HHR was declared a total loss…!!!!!
                            Looked at a few cars, really wanted another HHR or Ford Focus. All the HHRs are 10 years old and have more than 70,000 miles.
                            Found a 2014 Focus with 19,700. Lovely.
                            Bought and bolted on a new trailer hitch from Curt;
                            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 07-17-2017, 06:41 AM.
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

In an attempt to stabilize the Vetter side bags, and add a little more cargo room, I mounted a luggage rack today. I tossed the original mounts the chrome backrest/ rack came with and made some to attach on top of the Vetter brackets.

The bags still wobble a little but I'm glad to have the rack and also the option to use a taller backrest for my wife.

Trying out google drive, hope it works. Well crap, edit copy and paste worked but man these are huge pics!
                              Last edited by Burque73; 07-16-2017, 10:48 PM.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Another attempt to post pics. I hadn't messed with it since photobucket pooped on us.

I had to modify my key since the rack almost covered the seat lock. I didn't like how it looked holding the rack up high enough or back far enough for the key to fit. Any further forward and the Corbin backrest wouldn't fit, so this is where it landed.

Roger

Current rides
                                1983 GS 850G
                                2003 FJR 1300A
                                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                                X