No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent work. Are the smaller pieces extensions for the dampener?
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Here is a good video that shows how these go together better than I can explain.

1983 GS1100E project

Comment

That's what I thought, but I'm not sure about the instructions of using the manufactures amount of oil. With the increase of volume inside the tube, the air gap will be larger than what the manufacture calls for. It's the air that compresses and with a larger volume of air the springier it's going to feel. With that said i would go by the manufactures air gap or oil level, how ever they say it. The Suzuki manual for the '03-04 GSX-R1000, has the oil capacity at 509ml and the oil level a 101ml. I'd go by the oil level.
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I agree. It makes sense to me to use the stock level.
          1983 GS1100E project

Comment

Originally posted by Tripledij View Post
            I am switching from stock forks and front wheel to 2004 gsxr1000 forks and 2006 gsxr600 wheels, both of which lower the front dramatically.
            I spent a fair amount of time searching this forum for info by anyone who had already done this. Threads like this were a big help.

I want this bike to maintain a fairly stock geometry because I already have a sport bike, this is to be my comfy cruiser. In my opinion, this is too much of a height difference to make up by jacking up the back end.

I am not a machinist by trade, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I do have a home machine shop and make/modify parts for work on occasion.
            Here is a different pic showing the lower extensions. Although you don't see it in the pic, there is an oil passageway all the way through those.

Impressive work.
            I am going to need the number of that Holiday Inn.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Done

Finished off some loose ends on the GS1000 today and it is mostly done. Fired up after a short priming and all is well. Just need to check the carb sync and tire pressures. I rebuilt the wheels this winter with some polishing and new spokes, new rubber, installed an 1150 clutch nut and was going to do the clutch damper spring mod until I realized you had to split the cases to that ....oh well a few rattles hopefully won't hurt anything. Caught up on a lot of cleaning and basic maintenance items as well. Replaced the brake lines and painted the calipers and a few assorted front end parts, calipers and master cylinders were rebuilt last year so didn't need to revisit that job. Now for the snow to disappear.

by soates50, on Flickr
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Wow...... that's gorgeous! But boy is sure looks precarious on that dolly though; looks like one unintended lean on the seat would end very badly.

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
                  Wow...... that's gorgeous! But boy is sure looks precarious on that dolly though; looks like one unintended lean on the seat would end very badly.
                  Not as bad as it looks but it has walked it's way back about 3" from where it started. Still about 50lbs on the front end of the dolly and it'll be coming off tonight or tomorrow. First time I used the dolly for working on the bike due to limited room at the new place and it's great for moving the bike around. Next winter I'll chock the front wheel and the back of the center stand as well. Thanks for the compliments, bike turns 40 this July.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

It's wayyyy toooo clean.

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Sandy, your bike is so pretty.
                      My goodness, even the sprocket is spotless.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for compliments guys. Now that I've retired and we've moved and I don't have 200' long driveway to shovel and 6 cords of wood to deal with I was able to spend some frivolous time this winter polishing stuff. Maybe now I'll have some time actually go get it dirty again too. LOL.

Comment

Swapped out my clutch cable and while its pretty boring in general it was very very exciting for me as it was the last bit of preventative maintenance I had to do. Took a year but just about all the bits that would need replacing due to age have now been done. Even the grommets that hold my side covers. Now I can just ride it and hope nothing breaks.

Took the opportunity to pull up a log and with a rag and ice cream sticks give my engine a thorough cleaning. Its beautiful and I figure an aircooled engines enemy is dirt and oil.

It is AMAZING how my clutch lever pops now .. pretty sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                            It's wayyyy toooo clean.

V
                            I suspect that was the goal.

Comment

Installed some swapmeet Emgo tapered mufflers, a set of Emgo high tracker black handlebars and started building a solo seat. Bike started great and sounds good. A winter storm is coming for the weekend. Too bad , almost dry enough to ride.

Comment

A good looking bike is a bit more fun to ride.
                                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                                X