No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made up bearing carriers for a full width Matchless front hub. OE has taper rollers integral with the axle so when worn currently the only purchasable option is a bearing setup through the owners club - which is very expensive....So carriers to mount 35mmOD bearings in the 1 1/2inch bore of the hub....

The GS1000 frame job looks neat. I simply replaced the steel plates with 8mm alloy on our one. Front mounts the same too. Large OD alloy spacers to spread the loadings help too.

I've done Kawasaki clutches two ways - because here, I couldn't get the rubbers....First, I made up urethane inserts duplicating the OE rubbers. That worked very well but was time intensive. Second time, the rubbers weren't as bad so I simply made up steel outer bushes to compress them then pressed them into place. that's still OK in a 750 racebike after 4 seasons use.

Comment

Rear wheel re-furbished!

Finally got time to re-install the rear wheel on the GS1000 after its' refurbishing. Lots of work plating all the items, especially the spokes and lacing the wheel but it was worth it! Now on to the front!

IMG_0313.jpg
      Ron
      When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
      1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
      1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
      1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
      1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
        Finally got time to re-install the rear wheel on the GS1000 after its' refurbishing. Lots of work plating all the items, especially the spokes and lacing the wheel but it was worth it! Now on to the front!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59801[/ATTACH]
        That wheel looks GREAT !! R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
          That wheel looks GREAT !! R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
          Agreed!
          What tire and size?
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks! It's a Shinko 230 Tour Master, 130/90-18
            Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Nice result Ron. Merry Christmas to you my friend.
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Just put alternator number three on the family car since I posted a couple of weeks ago.
                The first, a remanufactured unit from Advance Auto Parts, lasted 70 miles before the bearings started howling.
                Not wanting to deal with another remanufactured one, I returned it for a full refund and bought a new one from an Ebay store. I noticed a slight difference in the pulley, but was too dumb to pull out a tape measure. Put that one on only to find more bad noises, which I misdiagnosed as a bad belt tensioner unit, which I then replaced. Continued bad noises. Problem was belt alignment issues due to the different pulley - the belt was rubbing on the side of the tensioner unit down low out of (easy) sight.
                The ebay seller was slow to respond, so this morning I bought another locally and installed it. At least the process was pretty easy by the third time. The original belt tensioner was on its way out - crunchy bearings - so future work saved at least.
                Hopefully this debacle is over now.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

GS1000 refurb has started!

Started the teardown on the GS1000 today. This is after about 4 hours of work. Ready for the engine to come out as soon as my assistant friend arrives.IMG_0325.jpg
                  Ron
                  1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Testing & tuning for 2020

Pulled this luggage rack out from the back of the garage after a decade and bolted it on. I'll be using it next spring.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                      Pulled this luggage rack out from the back of the garage after a decade and bolted it on. .
                      and continued the red stripe

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                      . . . . . . ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .. ... ... .. .. .. ... ... ... I'll be using it next spring.
                      plans??

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        and continued the red stripe

plans??
                        The first stretch of sunny weather in April, ride down to Tennessee, camp and ride the roads between civil war battleground parks.
                        Land Between the Lakes, Shiloh, Vicksburg MS. Chattanooga.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                          Where do you buy replacement pegs?
                          That's new to me.
                          https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/sid...tuds/76/136689
                          wooden dowel with a good epoxy is much cheaper and quicker.
                          1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                            Just something that I have been working on.

V
                            that could be the coolest headlight bucket ever!!!!
                            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

I pulled my battery box & electrical plate out and currently have them soaking in evaporust. They're not bad at all, but what rust there is is an eyesore. Anyone have a preferred rattle can gloss black I should use thereafter? I've even considered plastidip to curb future corrosion, but...that'll probably peel off in time as well, so....perhaps not such a great idea.
                              '78 GS750E (currently undergoing TLC).

Comment

Try Rustoleum.
                                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X