No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started installing a ConvertiBar kit on the ZX11. Love the bike, don't love the big lean. So far so good, but I have to go get a longer front brake line. Had to reroute most of the lines.

Finished with the installation. Got a brake line from The Parker Store here in town. This will make riding this bike a breeze, and it puts my head in a much calmer air flow.
    Last edited by ddaniels; 03-27-2018, 01:50 PM.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I bought a 96 Astro Van for general hauling and spare vehicle service. 96,000, drives nice, great visibility, factory towing package. It has problems that I didn't catch before buying it. I probably made a mistake.

1) DexCool goo in cooling system. For those who are fortunate enough to not have needed to know about this, DexCool was introduced in 1996, and is supposed to last for 10 years. It has "organic acid technology", of OAT, and is not supposed to be mixed with ethylene glycol coolants. I haven't figured out if the OAT replaces ethylene glycol, or it it is just an additive package. GM didn't study it well enough to learn that if the system has any air in it, the coolant reacts with some sealants and gasket materials to form a brown goo that looks like semi-liquid poo. My Astro has it. So I'm flushing coolant, and will switch to "DexCool compatible". Later, I'll likely flush again and go to standard coolant.

Yesterday, I wasn't able to tighten the petcock for draining the radiator. I was freaking out about the possible need to swap radiators. I hate working with little clearance. My thumbs are no longer opposable, so reaching into small spaces to start bolts held between thumb and forefinger is impossible. Royal PITA with tight clearances. So I join the AstroSafari forum (1% of the info in GSR) and post a question about the drain petcock. Someone responded in minutes, saying that it's a common problem and not hard to fix. YouTube has some videos. Rock Auto sells replacesments for $3. So I might not be in a bad bind after all.

2) Differential noise I didn't hear in my pre-purchase test drive. Nothing around town, but as load increases, so does noise. Might be why the owner demonstrated the nice radio during the drive. I plan to change the great lube, and put in 85W140 in the hope that it will help, for the time being.

3) It needs blower motor and window regulator motors. I did know that before buying.

4) I changed oil, filter, thermostat, coolant temperature sensor, upper radiator hose and radiator cap.

The technology is mostly 70s, which I didn't expect. I threw away my grease gun a few years ago, because I couldn't imagine needing it again. The Astro has zerks, and regular repacking of wheel bearings is routine maintenance. The plastics have deteriorated badly.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I've always liked those Astro vans but always seem to wind up with larger, full size vans. Trucks for some reason I've had several little S-10 types.

My wife, when we met, had a 90's model Oldsmobile sedan that spewed oil into the coolant. Turned to a brown goopy mess like you described, Tom. The thing just lost oil but never leaked onto the ground. Then started the overheating issue and we figured it out.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Before and after for the risers.
          20180320_152918.jpg
          Current Bikes:

Comment

After pic
            2018-03-27 17.05.04.jpg
            Current Bikes:

Comment

So is it noticeably more comfortable?

Comment

Strapped on new front brake pads, wire wheels, and Shinko 712's. Waiting on tire beads to arrive and the rain to quit.

Attached Files
                Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
                  So is it noticeably more comfortable?
                  Without a doubt.
                  Current Bikes:

Comment

If I can get the bugs out of it, the Astro will be fine for me. It seems to be the only truck-based minivan that can take 4' x 8' sheet goods. I need to get it in condition for a 1200 mile drive, possibly with the Wee Strom on a trailer behind it. I do miss the 83 Econoline that I sold in 98. 6 cylinder 5 speed manual.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

On my 1982 GSX750S Katana: balanced the carbs and adjusted the mixture screws for best idle; mounted the SH775 R/R and prepped the wiring; installed a new front tire and balancing beads. Tomorrow I’ll install the rear tire, new stator and complete the R/R installation.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
                        On my 1982 GSX750S Katana: balanced the carbs and adjusted the mixture screws for best idle; mounted the SH775 R/R and prepped the wiring; installed a new front tire and balancing beads. Tomorrow I’ll install the rear tire, new stator and complete the R/R installation.
                        Wow..... you had a productive day!

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
                          That is an amazingly productive day! Took me a whole day to do chain and sprockets!!

Comment

Replace front wheel bearings and breaks on my 06 350E.

V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Not sure that painting really translates as wrenching but I finally got the Kat paint job finished up today... pic's are a bit dodgy in the shed as I haven't gotten them out in the sun yet.

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I don't know if you can call it wrenching but, I now have this ready for a couple layers of dope then paper.

V
                                Gustov
                                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                                81 GS 1000 G
                                79 GS 850 G
                                81 GS 850 L
                                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                                80 GS 550 L
                                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                                2002 Honda 919
                                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment