No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minor work last night. After some riding, it appears that my gutted PDF units on the forks are oil tight, so I put the plastic adjustment knobs back on and tapped in the non removable pins that hold them on.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Time to finally break down and start on the Miata cam timing belt replacement. It's about 7K overdue.
      And while I am in there, I'll be changing the front seals (cams and crank), water pump, belt tensioners, and spark plugs.

Now I need to figure how to get that big bolt on the end of the crank to come loose.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

You're a better man then me. I took a look at the procedure on cam belt replacement on our Honda Pilot (v6) and said........ nope. Plus its the wife's, and our only good car. In other words if I tried and screwed up it would be..... un good
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          In other words if I tried and screwed up it would be..... un good
          Un good. Good one. I hadn't heard that one before!

Comment

I got that from an old guy teaching an OSHA training course I had to take for work. I liked it as well.
            sigpic

Glen
            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Impact wrench - the biggest, ugliest one you can get in there. I've heard some good things of the latest breed of battery impact wrenches from Milwaukee and others. If you have an air compressor the conventional air impact gun is the first to try. Make sure you're using a proper impact socket.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Oil change on the GK.

Which is not worth reporting, other than, this time, I got things organized enough to have everything gathered up, and laid out on floor near the bike, so that when I got down on the creeper, I got the oil drained and the filter replaced and all back together without having to get back up and back down ... ...

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Shedding weight off track bike: 90-GSX7/11

Had a glorious track day 5/25/18, so got inspired to swap the steel subframe for a 93 GSXR aluminum sub.
                  Had the parts and all of last year to do it:

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Bill, apologies if this has been discussed already but from what model is the rear brake pedal?
                    I have some exhaust clearance issues on a bike that might get solved with something like this.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      Bill, apologies if this has been discussed already but from what model is the rear brake pedal?
                      I have some exhaust clearance issues on a bike that might get solved with something like this.
                      That pedal and master cylinder are standard on the Suzuki GSX 750F and 600F Katana for all years, 1988 - 2007. Mine is a 1990.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Pulled the forks and rebuilt them on Suzie Q, and now rebuilding the breaks then we look for the hanging idle.

V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Started the process of putting the stock exhaust back on the ZX11. Good thing too because the coolant I drained looks like pond water. Now, just waiting for new gaskets to arrive.
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Sold a GSX600F yesterday and showed a Yahama XS850 to a fellow that wants it in the worst way,gone home to scrape up dollars,then put another coat of wax on my original owner,me,83 GS1100E.Think I’ll have to get my stepson to do the lawn and weed whacking. Tough day.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                              Oil change on the GK.

Which is not worth reporting, other than, this time, I got things organized enough to have everything gathered up, and laid out on floor near the bike, so that when I got down on the creeper, I got the oil drained and the filter replaced and all back together without having to get back up and back down ... ...

It's good to be organized Dave.

Comment

Greetings all - Doing the valve check on a '82 GS450L today.

Forgot about the joys of those old valve cover gaskets.....

So far the valves are tight, 16,000 miles and probably never checked, no real surprise.

Tight being the .03 would not fit - in fact, the .015 would not either - Removed one shim, 2.60, taking it to the dealer and asking them to allow me to take the box of shims hom over the weekend.

I have a feeling once I am done the bike may loose some of it's "peakiness" and move a little more power down lower, and I'm good with that!

Also, planning on syncing the carbs, already has newer iridium plugs, most all of the other maintenance is done, about time to ride.

Copy of 20171023_140650_HDR.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X