what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motojoe2492 View Post
    These are the bad boys I got for my 850. Got them put on by a friend of mine who has a vintage shop at his house. They look good on the roller, can't wait to see it with the engine in it too hhaha

https://www.ebay.com/itm/110-80-19-1...YAAOSwGwlaBz9n
    I've never had a radial front on the 850, but a radial rear (co-incidentally an Avon dual-sport) did some very interesting things to the handling and roadholding. Basically, the bike felt like it dug in and squatted /powered around a corner like it was on rails. Took no time to get used to it, and was disappointed when I couldn't find another tyre deal like that (pre-internet, so wasn't aware who was selling what at the right prices). I have another semi-rough radial lined up for the rear and expect good things from it.
    These bikes may not have been designed with radials in mind, but as with most cars, radials improve things.
    Last edited by Grimly; 05-16-2018, 10:17 PM.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Installed one of the universal vista cruise controls on the Bandit this evening but couldn't take the bike out for a test ride. I'll do it tomorrow hopefully

Bandit with VistA Cruise by Scott Baker, on Flickr
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
        I clicked on your E-Bay link.... What a nice set☺
        c'mon Norm, he's talking about tires.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          These bikes may not have been designed with radials in mind, but as with most cars, radials improve things.
          This is the truth!
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Chrome is King!!!
            Installed chrome covers on the T120.

The swap was a bit tricky... The stator side was the the hardest side. Cool thing? There is so much Japanese gismos in this lump! Even the crank flywheel is Japanese. Well built machine... No leaks!

I also removed the snorkel from the air box... That made a slight difference in low end torque. That Airbox is a MESS! Another project for another day.

Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

A old timer I worked with would tell me "Chrome Don't Get You Home." But it does look great Jedz. 👍
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Did owning a Harley for a little while change you??? Just kidding.....looks great! I gotta ride one of those!
                Ron
                When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Track Day comming up: 5-25!!!!!

Suddenly decided to do a track day Friday 5-25-18. Price was right only 85$!!!
                  Have time to lose some weight; 21lb if I can get this 4-2-1 system bolted in.
                  Blew it off for all of 2017, not sure it'll quite fit either.
                  Spending today finding out.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Replaced Charmayne's front brake light switch from the hydraulic banjo one I put in last year with the stock set up after we saw it failed last weekend. Then, as I removed the seat off of my 550T to tie up the left rear turn signal wires, I found one of the mounting posts had come completely off. Time to either JB Weld it or find a new seat pan

550T seatpan by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

GK air schock blew seal and has been slobbering oil.

To replace schocks on GK requires taking all the bags and trunk and mounting off

Original leaker shown.

Got replacement stock set from fine GSR member at GSR-buddy price.
                      GOt it cleaned up, and replacement installed, And back together today during the rainy morning, .... skys cleared up this afternoon for a short ride.
                      Last edited by Redman; 05-19-2018, 10:37 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Tires, Norm, TIRES.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Today I fixed my fuel gage, it would only go to 1/4 tank. After reading Mr. Jethro's "fuel gage send unit repair" it now reads accurate from full to empty (I did brake the little wire and re solder it). Thanks to all on this great site!
                          1978 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                            A old timer I worked with would tell me "Chrome Don't Get You Home." But it does look great Jedz. 
                            True but the Triumph hasn't ;et me down yet! The HD already started to have electrical issues at this point (3K miles)...

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                            Did owning a Harley for a little while change you??? Just kidding.....looks great! I gotta ride one of those!
                            HAHAHA Non of my Harleys had chrome! I would say my Buddies SR650 and my GS650L is what did me in with chrome on a Standard motorcycle!

And Don't delay... Ride a T120 if you can, they are AWESOME!
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Chrome plating is a great way to protect a metal surface and produce an attractive part that can visually coordinate with other components of diverse colors.

My Wee Strom has very little chrome and lots of various shades of silver/gray. Those colors blend in well with asphalt, and motorcycles should stand out against asphalt for safety.

Long live chrome!
                              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Main reason behind the Chrome was the case covers we're a PITA to maintain the nice alluminum look for after a weekend of rain riding I would need to hit them with the alluminum polish to buff out the oxidation. Oil spills or cleaner over spray would leave marks as well... Figured it was a good way to prtoect the investment (same with the engine Gaurds).
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                                X