No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valves adjusted and I ordered the wrong valve cover gasket.

20180609_124052_Film1.jpg

Made the schoolboy mistake of assuming the gaskets were the same for all GS450's.

New gasket ordered, a week away, that's OK, it is what it is.

My "daily" ride is a Yamaha FJ1200, the GS450L is for the wife or just fun. We also ride scooters (Honda 1st Generation Metropolitans).

Comment

I love shims - so easy!

20180609_112813_Film1.jpg

Comment

Thanks to the local dealer - pays off supporting them when I can and most importantly, not being a douche!

20180609_112724_Film1.jpg

Comment

Rebuilt my 30 year old Craftsman compressor. Seems to need a rebuild every 15 years or so.
          Sears no longer sells the rebuild kit, or the piston and sleeve, but I finally found a source.
          It runs much quieter and fills quicker.

My wife bought me this compressor for my birthday, the first year we were together.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Wrenched on a photo scanner for the first time.
            Turned out i just needed a bigger hammer.

Summer of '83.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
              Rebuilt my 30 year old Craftsman compressor. Seems to need a rebuild every 15 years or so.
              Sears no longer sells the rebuild kit, or the piston and sleeve, but I finally found a source.
              It runs much quieter and fills quicker.

My wife bought me this compressor for my birthday, the first year we were together.
              Where did you find parts? My Craftsman compressor is from the 70s, and I suspect that it badly needs a rebuild. Two pistons, on a 20 gallon air tank, 3 HP 220V motor. I'm wondering if a replacement pump would be a better solution.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

My speedo on my 85 GS450 was starting to make a horrible racket on and off while riding .... and the needle was shaking and then froze at 20 mph. The noise was so bad, pedestrians on the sideway a block ahead would turn around to see what was causing the sound. So I pulled most of the attachment parts off the instrument panel so that only the wiring harness was connected and laid it on top of the handlebar. Then I unscrewed needed screws to open up the unit to inspect, clean and oil/WD40 moving parts in the speedo gauge. Made sure the speedo needle returned to ZERO mph on it's own .... then put it all back together. A brief ride later showed the speedo back to normal operation and NO noise! Everything needs a bit of lubing once in a while!speedo4.jpg
                Dennco2
                1985 GS450
                Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  Wrenched on a photo scanner for the first time.
                  Turned out i just needed a bigger hammer.

Summer of '83.

Great picture - Here is my '80 back in the 80's

GS1100EonWilkesBlvdV2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                    Where did you find parts? My Craftsman compressor is from the 70s, and I suspect that it badly needs a rebuild. Two pistons, on a 20 gallon air tank, 3 HP 220V motor. I'm wondering if a replacement pump would be a better solution.
                    PM sent....
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by GS450L View Post
                      Thanks to the local dealer - pays off supporting them when I can and most importantly, not being a douche!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55229[/ATTACH]
                      I've seen shim boxes for sale on ebay over the years, but thought I had plenty of my own. I realised recently I didn't have enough at all, at least make sure I'd not be stuck for one the odd time, as there's a fair amount of engine building coming up in the next year or two. I've now started laying in some stocks as, and when, I find a decent deal for a bunch of them, like that.
                      Makes me wish that hind-sighto-scope worked better.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Not "wrenching", but did use other tools.

And early in the project my 1979 Skillsaw went up in smoke.

Some progress photos and then final photo of what I built for my brothers visit next week.

He/they are likley to relocate to this side of the state and then could be visiting more often.

Started with the idea that I could just have a couple planks and tie them together with some 1x3s or something. ANd then would be of a size that could hang on side of the shed when not in use.
                        Then thought will need some support-framework underneath.
                        THen thought, no, will need full decking..... so 2x4 framing and plywood decking.
                        And all along I wanted it to be temperary - moveable. So it is in two sections.
                        Took a whole lot more time than I thought. Cost a whole lot more than I first thought. And is not going to store away as easy as I first thought. And the one section is about the limit of what I can handle.
                        But will make my brother feel welcome (assuming I dont dump him over the side).

Is good and sturdy, but no where near building code.
                        If Mr Township Man comes around, this is a HotWheels race track for the grandkids. Yah, thats it.

But, now that I have it, hey, gives me an idea of what else it could be used for. ... ...

Last edited by Redman; 06-12-2018, 08:23 PM. Reason: gives me an idea

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hmmmm. Nice ideas.

I may want to build one in several years, for my mother.

"1979 Skillsaw" Like so many other brands, Skill is now just a familiar brand name used for Chinese cheese. I picked up a Skill bench grinder, 1/3 HP, probably from the 50s. It weighs about 50#. Turn it off, and it takes over a minute to coast to a stop. Industrial quality.

I'd guess that as long as it is not attached, a "temporary" ramp, the building inspectors can't touch it. If it is for a wheel chair, I would consider adding layer or two of furring strips along the edges, so that the wheels can't accidentally roll of the edge. Thusly, projects expand.
                          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Pulled the bed off my truck to access the fuel pump and such. Turned out to be a bad switch, now to put the bed back on.

V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Truck eh? Did my scored rotors on my truck yesterday. It seems one cannot leave a low mileage vehicle untouched for 7 years without having rust seize a rotor on. Thank god for mapp gas. Hard business to heat a cast iron rotor though. I'm sore all over I must buy an impact wrench someday.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Training with the Australian Defence Force in Shoalwater Bay Training Area, AUS. Goofy Army generators are always failing on our gear. Lowest bidder, COTS....

Generator works now. Crappy electronics...not so much...

Comment

Working...
                                X