No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son's car door would not stay shut so we took apart the latch and found a broken torsion spring. It held tension on the lever that locked the latch shut. With this being a 96 Audi Cabriolet, used parts are pretty rare. New latches go from $120 on up. We took a quick trip to Harbor Freight for an assortment of springs and figured out a solution.

Here's the under side of the latch mechanism. I drew arrows to the lock lever and the broken spring on the bottom.

Our fix was to drill through the lever and insert a cotter pin, creating an eyelet for the spring to grab. A dab of JB weld (not shown in the pic) helped hold the cotter pin permanently. Then we wrapped a small key ring wire around the pin at the bottom. It's a total redneck repair but the door locks and latches just fine now.

Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
      My son's car door would not stay shut so we took apart the latch and found a broken torsion spring. ...
      It's a total redneck repair but the door locks and latches just fine now.
      I bet the son is impressed with his ol' dad.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I LOVE The SR650 tank. I painted the one my dad had for a school project. The bike got chopped but never ridden much... I would love to have one of those lol

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
        True but the Triumph hasn't ;et me down yet! The HD already started to have electrical issues at this point (3K miles)...

HAHAHA Non of my Harleys had chrome! I would say my Buddies SR650 and my GS650L is what did me in with chrome on a Standard motorcycle!

And Don't delay... Ride a T120 if you can, they are AWESOME!

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          I bet the son is impressed with his ol' dad.

Meh, I think he's just glad it works now.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Chrome might not get you home, but it makes you look good wherever you are...
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with machining the valve seat on a GS1100G (8 valve)? I am wondering whether I should have my machine shop keep the standard angles (15, 45, 75) or go with an interference seat (15, 46, 75). I am keeping the valves stock at 45 deg so the titanium coating is not disturbed.

Comment

Installed a speedometer error device on my wife’s Honda CBR300RA - the SpeedoDRD. The speedometer read 10% high and this little device took care of that. Installation and programming was quite simple.

Comment

I checked their site. Sounds nice. I might buy one.
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

One (mostly) done, two more to go.

On the "what did I do" front, I finally got the wife's bike on the road. The process to get it there included:
                    - new fork seals (old ones leaked on the brake pads)
                    - new brake pads (see above)
                    - new steering bearings
                    - replaced clutch cable
                    - replaced older LED headlight with a newer one
                    - fixed some electrical problems with the radio/intercom/CB system
                    - replaced exhaust system (original "L" pipes had rattling baffles and were discolored)

Still to do before our "little ride":
                    - replace stator (starting the ride with a new one)
                    - replace tires (new ones will easily survive the duration of the "little ride")

Weather had cleared up after a brief thundershower session, so I took a ride and stopped a moment to grab this:

Now that that bike is back on the road for a while, I can turn my attention to this:

Headed out now to start re-assembling the head, then will work on getting the rest of the engine together.

Talked to the painter, some of the parts will be ready to bring home tomorrow, really looking forward to seeing them.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Will you know where all those bits and pieces strewn all over the floor go Steve?
                      1979 GS1000
                      1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

That's quite a project Steve! I too hope you remember where all those nuts and bolts go.

Mine was quick and simple, small exaggeration here. Fork seals on the KLR 650. I purchased them from the local MotoAuthority store/ shop. When I pulled up yesterday there was quite a mix of bikes out front.

20180525_124844 by Roger, on Flickr

The owner came out to look at my 850 and went "wow, what a classic! You should strip all that stuff off and make a cafe bike out of it". Nah, I said, I like it this way but thanks for the suggestion. He was impressed with the nice old bike though.

Back to wrenching...

Fork seals should take what, two hours? I stripped everything off last night, flushed and let drain. One leg, then the other. The fun part was getting the old seals out. I used compressed air to pop the seals out. It took about 55psi in one and 75 in the other but they both popped right out, then pushed the new ones in with a piece of PVC. Two hours last night and four hours today to get it back together. Next time it will be quicker I'm sure since I'd never done fork seals before.
                        20180525_170223 by Roger, on Flickr
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

My first go at fork seals took about 3-4 hours as well only to find a leaker a few days later due to installing one upside down. The fix was much quicker. Practice........
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yeah, most of those pieces have now been somewhat organized, or at least grouped in the general vicinity of where they need to go.

This is not the first time doing this, so there is some familiarity there. Won't be the last, either, as my bike needs new gaskets, too, but I really didn't want to have all three GSes down at the same time.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                              ... When I pulled up yesterday there was quite a mix of bikes out front.

The owner came out to look at my 850 and went "wow, what a classic! You should strip all that stuff off and make a cafe bike out of it". Nah, I said, I like it this way but thanks for the suggestion. He was impressed with the nice old bike though.
                              You should have said "No, thanks, I just got done putting all that stuff ON, to make it a comfortable bike."

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                                My first go at fork seals took about 3-4 hours as well only to find a leaker a few days later due to installing one upside down. The fix was much quicker. Practice........
                                Indeed, practice makes perfect. Or like we say on the jobsite, perfect enough. Haha
                                I had to look at the all balls instructions online to see which way was up on their fork seals. Two wipers toward the oil, one on top or something like that. Anyway both installed with dust seal and no leaks....from there. One fork leg had a drip and my heart sank a little. Turns out the drain screw was loose.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                You should have said "No, thanks, I just got done putting all that stuff ON, to make it a comfortable bike."

Didn't think of saying that. I guess comfort and functionality don't get as much consideration as style. Personally, I like the style of a "bagger" type bike.
                                Roger

Current rides
                                1983 GS 850G
                                2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Working...
                                X