what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
    ............... I'm glad to see you still using such words. .............
    ............ .... ....................
    Yah, .... and maybe I should have said it more directly, like, ah, the bumper stickers say:
    "Even a bad day working on bike in the garage , is better than a good day at work."

You see, this is all different, now that I dont have that bad habit of going to work most every day.

............... .. .............
    ............ my new springs came a few days ago and fork seals arrived today ....................
    I found hanging the bike by its neck (still in place in pic) to be good for removing the forks. And still chock the rear wheel.

.. so I'm about to feel your, um, enthusiasm... ...........
    You will do good.

And, my camera doesnt seem to have that feature/function that yours does.

Last edited by Redman; 04-24-2019, 02:00 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Spent this afternoon sorting out a brand new battery that I'd just fitted a couple of weeks ago, and managed to leave the ignition on overnight. Luckily the kill switch was off, so the ignitor and coils weren't at risk. This happened because I'd been messing around with the lighting and fairing yesterday and had left a set of gloves on top of the idiot lights (never were they so appropriately named), walked away from the bike without seeing the lights were on.
      Luckily, the battery recovered after kicking it back up a bit with a dumb iron charger and then let a smart charger take over.

After that, I set about converting one of the 7" spotlight units to take a hi/low H4 Hella headlamp insert and fitted it to the left side.
      Initial impression is good, it giving a better spread of light than the 5.75" auxiliary it replaced. I'll do another one tomorrow.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

That's better. No more Night Terrors. I'll be one....
        Pair of Raydyot Fireballs that originally had 7" single-filament H1 spots, replaced with Hella 7" H4s, running some decent 20W braid-cooled LEDs that combine with the Hellas to produce a really nice beam pattern with no splash or dazzle. The headlight is now a Cibie H4 with the same treatment.
        And all within the charging capacity of the wheezy old stator. Modern tech is wonderful. This is exactly the way I wanted it 25 years ago, but the electrics wouldn't have coped.

Last edited by Grimly; 04-27-2019, 05:36 PM.
        ---- Dave
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

That's quite a setup Grimly. Adjustable even, nice!
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

That's quite a setup Grimly. Adjustable even, nice!
            I seem to be going for full-on retro with this. Highway burner the way it should have been back in the day.
            The marvellous thing is that a lot of the retro accessories that were worth having are now dirt cheap and with some modern internals are stone reliable.
            ---- Dave

Comment

You think you could dim those lights a wee bit? I'm trying to get some sleep on this side of the pond!
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Carbs came off my 550T to finally fix the number 3 mixture screw since it's been buggered up for a couple of years and i think helping to cause issues with my fuel mileage. I cut a slot deeper than I needed to but the screw is good now. Of course, I also chewed up the number 4 mixture screw but managed to get it out without cutting the slot in the carb itself then fixed the screw so it's fine as well. I guess I'll just re-dip the carbs for good measure since everything is apart; now to order o-rings from Robert and new bowl gaskets this week.
                Last edited by cowboyup3371; 04-28-2019, 10:39 AM.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Wrenching....?
                  A couple wrenches did not do it.
                  Had to go visit a friend's shop to use his bench vice, to get tensioner apart.
                  So could rebuild it, now that have all three seals (and gasket).

Got tensioner installed, and got cabs back in place.
                  Cold and rainy most all week, so not too annoyed that not back on the road.

Awaiting some other parts, so attending to some other details whilst fairing and lowers are off.

Yep, after in depth analysis and research, the exact quality needed for exhaust pipe chrome polishing is exactly the same as old crew socks.
                  Last edited by Redman; 04-29-2019, 08:09 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Yep, after in depth analysis and research, the exact quality needed for exhaust pipe chrome polishing is exactly the same as old crew socks.
                    Sure, do my shoes next, ok Pops??
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Noticed last week the front tire on the GS was out of date...(embarrassingly out of date, in fact)
                      Anyway, got a new one.
                      Well it turns out I never converted the front wheel to tubeless.
                      So off to NAPA in the morning for me, to pick up some 8mm, motorcycle valve stems.
                      The counter bore bit will be here Thursday from Amazon.

Figured to take this next couple days to go over the old girl before BC.
                      Last edited by Baatfam; 05-01-2019, 06:34 AM.
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

A reminder that I need to change the original tires off of the Wee Strom. 10 years, 10K miles, look great, lots of tread left. But, 10 years old....
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

My 550T's carbs are in the dip after fixing one of the mixture screws; should be done by Monday i hope
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Took some chasin' to find the NAPA valve stems. Bought the only two they had at the local warehouse.
                            The counterbore with pilot arrived from Amazon, ($19), a day early...so...
                            Did the conversion yesterday, mounted the tire, still holding air, so on the bike she goes this morning.
                            Hoping to get the oil changed and a few other "spring things" done today.

Before:

After:

Ready to install:

Last edited by Baatfam; 05-02-2019, 07:59 AM.
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                              Noticed last week the front tire on the GS was out of date...(embarrassingly out of date, in fact)
                              Anyway, got a new one.
                              Well it turns out I never converted the front wheel to tubeless.
                              So off to NAPA in the morning for me, to pick up some 8mm, motorcycle valve stems.
                              The counter bore bit will be here Thursday from Amazon.

Figured to take this next couple days to go over the old girl before BC.
                              Ok Bob, rather surprised the '83 1100E used tubed tires.
                              My '82 1100G has wheels with "TUBELESS TIRE APPLICABLE" cast onto them.
                              Strange story of my 1st tire change; I had it done at a motorcycle shop, and when I picked up the wheel later the mechanic complained in fact there was a tube inside. They did convert it at that time.
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I found out the hard way that my 1980 1100L didn't need a tube. Came with one, had been using one for the last 16 years until this happened last year in Leavenworth Wa. replaced with napa stem as you did, but turns out the spotface was not necessary.

DSCF1717.jpg

V
                                Gustov
                                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                                81 GS 1000 G
                                79 GS 850 G
                                81 GS 850 L
                                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                                80 GS 550 L
                                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                                2002 Honda 919
                                2004 Ural Gear up