No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welp, with 6 (potential) inches of snow in the forecast, I will be putting the es to bed for the winter. Jedz, more power to ya for riding in the slop....
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Frustration to obsession

Ok, carbs suddenly went weird in September.
      It's been a frustrating 2 months, troubleshooting and tuning this BST36SS rack. I have the bike sides off for this project, so I can test ride it, and quickly take the seat and tank off for carb access.
      Haven't spent much money but many days trouble shooting and testing. Fully tuned in detail, but still it idles at 2200 rpm after full warm up. This has been a problem all along with this carb/engine combination. I'm blaming the carbs, I think they're hopeless.
      Last possibility may be a worn diaphragm, will try replacing that, but thinking about replacing the whole carb rack.
      Have a search on ebay for 89-92 gsxr1100 carburetor, but also considering buying a new RS36 flatside rack.
      Kinda pricy at $1000 for the rack, filters, throttle grip and cables.
      In comparison to cars, this would be like replacing an OEM Rochester with a Holly. An automatically choice for performance improvement.
      Will be doing other track day upgrades on this bike, have a fiberglass one piece tail and seat unit (94-95 Yoshimura Superbike), and headlight panel on order from Airtech.

Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 11-09-2018, 12:13 PM.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        Ok, carbs suddenly went weird in September.
        It's been a frustrating 2 months, troubleshooting and tuning this BST36SS rack. I have the bike sides off for this project, so I can test ride it, and quickly take the seat and tank off for carb access.
        Haven't spent much money but many days trouble shooting and testing. Fully tuned in detail, but still it idles at 2200 rpm after full warm up. This has been a problem all along with this carb/engine combination. I'm blaming the carbs, I think they're hopeless.
        Last possibility may be a worn diaphragm, will try replacing that, but thinking about replacing the whole carb rack.
        Have a search on ebay for 89-92 gsxr1100 carburetor, but also considering buying a new RS36 flatside rack.
        Kinda pricy at $1000 for the rack, filters, throttle grip and cables.
        In comparison to cars, this would be like replacing an OEM Rochester with a Holly. An automatically choice for performance improvement.
        Will be doing other track day upgrades on this bike, have a fiberglass one piece tail and seat unit (94-95 Yoshimura Superbike), and headlight panel on order from Airtech.

The slides, nozzles and needles wear out on the GSXR carbs. Are these the same design, with the same issues? Chef166 has set up 2 sets of GSXR carb sets for me. Check with webike in Japan on new carb prices. When they go on sale the prices are very competitive with Sudco.
        Last edited by limeex2; 11-09-2018, 12:59 PM.
        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Very nice looking bike.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I've replaced the emulsion tubes 3 times since 2002 at $90 for a set of 4. Factory makes replacements tubes and what about the O-rings?
            I have a list of all the various sizes needed for 36mm slingshots if you want them. Mine were all cracked smashed.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
              I've replaced the emulsion tubes 3 times since 2002 at $90 for a set of 4. Factory makes replacements tubes and what about the O-rings?
              I have a list of all the various sizes needed for 36mm slingshots if you want them. Mine were all cracked smashed.
              I thought about emulsion tube wear. In the book they're called the needle jets.
              This wear kinda discourages me from buying used carbs, because the restoration/rebuild cost does add up. But keeping the original parts is kinda cool.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Cell phone problems....Love my old HTC M9...great phone. 3-4 years old now, but still does what I need.
                Anyway, the rear case got damage, and the power button would stick in.
                Now this is one of the new cameras, that the back is not supposed to be removed. But the internet provided.

Got it apart, pushed the plastic back in place, seems free. Put the back on, and good to go.
                Once I get my outer, protective case back on, it should be good for a while.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I started cleaning the garage for the first time in years, and after moving, sweeping and tossing things around, I realized my 79 project bike had been neglected too long.
                  So, into the ultrasonic the 29 SB rack went, piece by piece.
                  Attached Files
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Then ,I pulled the carb boots and into the mint oil they went
                    Attached Files
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Finally got around to starting up my 1980 1000G again. Only one cylinder would fire up. Pulled the carbs and they were clogged up with this black, crystal like substance. cleaned up the secondaries, emulsion tubes and fired right up. Need to do a better job if I plan on storing the bike for a while. Hopefully it warms up again!

Comment

How long had it been sitting?
                        3 years?

Wonder what the black crystal stuff was? O-rings reformed?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by TowPilot View Post
                          Finally got around to starting up my 1980 1000G again. Only one cylinder would fire up. Pulled the carbs and they were clogged up with this black, crystal like substance. cleaned up the secondaries, emulsion tubes and fired right up. Need to do a better job if I plan on storing the bike for a while. Hopefully it warms up again!
                          If you're gonna put a bike away for some time, drain the carbs.

Comment

Swapping engines in my Honda.
                            These pigs weigh in the 220 lbs. range.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              Swapping engines in my Honda.
                              These pigs weigh in the 220 lbs. range.

Those pictures look like they were taken in your living room! Your bikes have it good. Does your wife know about this?

Comment

His wife is an android, he built her himself. Sure does a wonderful job cleaning dust too.
                                He got that idea from Star Trek 1.
                                Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 11-12-2018, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X