No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got around to tackling an annoying oil filter leak on the pre-Divvy XJ900.
    Turned out to be the large O-ring at the back of the cooler take-off block, which had never been off since it left the factory. As a result, the O-ring was rock-hard and weeping. Took the opportunity to suss out why the XJ600S bits I bought to convert it to a spin-on filter wouldn't fit nicely, and it turned out just need a slight bit of butchery with a slicer, reducing the big internal hollow bolt head by about 3mm, to allow the converter plate to sit on it.
    All finished and holding oil nicely...

filter fitted 01.jpg
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

new exhaust gaskets for the 550

Because I am a nerd for fresh exhaust gaskets

Comment

On the third oil change/filter & 6th flushing of radiator.
        Bike froze over winter in unheated garage, as water wetter/water was all that was in the radiator,. apparently
        My inexperience with w/c bikes caused this.
        Still some white gobules in the radiator.
        Engine oil looks nearly clear.
        Maybe one more cycle of fluids and can get back to feeling confident the bike might survive.
        04 GSXR 750 track only bike.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
          On the third oil change/filter & 6th flushing of radiator.
          Bike froze over winter in unheated garage, as water wetter/water was all that was in the radiator,. apparently
          My inexperience with w/c bikes caused this.
          Still some white gobules in the radiator.
          Engine oil looks nearly clear.
          Maybe one more cycle of fluids and can get back to feeling confident the bike might survive.
          04 GSXR 750 track only bike.
          Reminds me of a story about traveling in the ole USSR. Because there was no antifreeze available, owners had to drain the water every night, and fill it again in the morning.
          I read those track regulations about no antifreeze. Never thought about winter freezing the water. My bike has the old SACS oil cooled engine.
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-29-2019, 06:56 AM.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Well actually, I did own 2 watercooled bikes briefly. A 93 Honda CBR 600 & a Suzuki TL 1000S.
            Both were street bikes and stored in the same garage, but had antifreeze in them.

I never heard of "freeze plugs" until this incident. 4 outta 5 blew, + plus the thermostat housing cracked,
            spewing water/oil mixture on the underside of the gas tank.

Forgot about having a 94 Suzuki RF 900 for a bit too.
            Bike had terrible parts-bin suspension, heck my ole Kat handles better.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

On to the 8th flush of radiator (distilled/vinegar) and another oil/filter change (4th).
              Now I'm leaning towards a semi synthectic, as the oil change frequency doesn't justify spending $50-80 plus for full synthectic,
              if I change in few hundred miles. I have a quart of Castrol Actevo semi syn 10w-40, figured I'd use this, and then buck up for
              a full syn later.

Comment

Happy Birthday to me, from my wife.
                New sissy bar bag to replace the tired and broken soft cooler I'd been using, and New TSCC emblems. Woohoo!
                No wrenches required
                Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-30-2019, 08:10 PM.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  Happy Birthday to me, from my wife.
                  New sissy bar bag to replace the tired and broken soft cooler I'd been using, and New TSCC emblems. Woohoo!
                  Sweet! The new badges look great!

Comment

Spent 30 minutes yesterday going over the Sportster's bolts and nuts.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                      Spent 30 minutes yesterday going over the Sportster's bolts and nuts.
                      It's that walking back down the road collecting them that's the time-consumer.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        LoL. Nah. I think that's the way they were back in the day. I only found a couple that needed even a tiny bit of tightening.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          THAT was funny...
                          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                          __________________________________________________ ______________________
                          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Definitely, but the Sportster is a reliable and efficient motorcycle today.

I am not a Harley person. I ride a little ex500. But I read about these people who keep old sportsters going for hundreds of thousands of miles, and...

I'm getting 60 mpg on this bike, and though I'm going to install a PC and a better intake on it to minimize any lean running, I expect it to return a mixed 55 mpg day in, day out, and it has more character than any bike I've ever owned.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Last Friday I gave the tall windshield a trim. My wife said it looks like I clipped a giant fingernail, LOL.

It has always bugged me but having a heavy load recently made it apparent this thing was way too tall for me.

I cut three inches off and noticed no significant difference in wind noise or protection from rain or bugs. Surely a few more butterflies or whatever will hit my visor, but after almost 400 miles it's been fine so far. I did notice how much easier it made things not having to look through the windshield for things at close range.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                                Blew 5 freeze plugs in W/C 750... Result water in oil.
                                So used to aircooled bikes didn't think to check if radiator had a coolant mix or not.
                                Did not. Froze over winter, and let go in the first 7 minutes of riding it.
                                Waiting for parts. Will see what the outcome is.
                                Ha, this rang a bell with me. Couple of years back, got a call from a roadrace sidecar engine customer. He'd just realised his engine was full of water.
                                When I stripped it, all the frost plugs in the head had popped.
                                Full strip and cleanout. GSXR1000 so new Yosh thin head gasket too...

As a race engine, it had straight water of course. He hadn't realised his garage got that cold.
                                Must have put it together OK - it won a couple of races at this season's nationals.
                                We're just coming into the cold part of our winter, i must remind him to drain it this year, LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                X