No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the first time since the day before I broke my leg, I spent a few hours tonight trying to put the GS back together. I had removed the carbs back in April to thoroughly clean them and repair the stripped head of one mixture screw in hopes at figuring out why my fuel mileage nose-dived. I had just finished cleaning them when I busted it and though I finished assembling them in June, I never felt comfortable trying to fight the re-install over the summer and then got busy with other projects. After fixing a clamp and mounting the carbs into the airbox side boots, I removed the airbox cover and found that our unwanted garage resident left me a present. Yep, we have a mouse that runs around the garage and though we have seen droppings I have never seen these until today

Sunflower seeds in airbox by Scott Baker, on Flickr

I'm thinking that it found an old bag of sunflower seeds Charmayne left on the workbench last year.

Unfortunately, I couldn't finish mounting the carbs tonight as the intake boots are pretty hard after sitting all year. I picked up some Isopropyl Alcohol with Wintergreen to see if the tips I have seen mentioned here actually work. Now to go find them again just to make sure how to soak them
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
      Choke, a little squirt from the accelerator pump, start and it fired up on the first try ...
      What bike? There is only one GS I know of that has a pump.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        What bike? There is only one GS I know of that has a pump.

1150, new carbs-Mikuni RS36
        Last edited by wyly; 02-05-2020, 12:02 PM.
        1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

*** Edit: I apologize for originally posting this in obviously an unsuitable thread. Perhaps not the correct sub forum, either.
          Mods., please feel free to move or delete this post.

I got the '81 GS650G 24k mi. last Oct. and had a chance to tend to a few things then and in Nov. Plugs, tires, brake fluid flush, oil pan, air fliter, new rear turnsignals, clutch springs, all fluids, etc. After many delays, I finally got in the garage today to get started on many bigger jobs.

When I got new tires last Oct., I got a peek at the wheel splines at the shop I was at, when the wheels were off. I thought I saw pretty knackered splines. So today, I pulled the rear wheel for the first time and got the old spline drive off. Turns out, the spline cup on there was nearly as good as the new Suzuki spline unit I had on hand. Since I was already there, I installed the new one. I had new cushions but didn't bother installing them. No sign of movement on the old ones, but they were a bit hard. The old wheel splines were at 90-95 % and was silver like the new one. So maybe they had been replaced before? I would guess that '81 shoulda been black? Bad ~'82's would be bronze? Got that done without to many redo's. While I had the shocks nearly off, I installed the new Progressive, supposedly HD, 412's I've had for months. I'll give them a go when I can, but I'm already thinking that my old units are superior quality. No name found on them, but longer and heavier springs. I probably go 250 with full gear. To end the day/evening, I managed to catch my left side brand new OEM type rear turn signal and break off the lens mount.

I have all the parts ( or nearly) for several other jobs. Next will be "new" used front brake rotors, as one or both of mine are warped. Then new Sonic fork springs. Got to do a valve check and likely re-shim. Never did that before. Have new brake pads for front and rear, but old ones are "Ok" yet. Various polishing and replace some missing Suzuki discs and one of the cam cover chrome end caps when the cover is off. Carbs need attention, mostly slight air leak on 3. Have new mount body o rings on hand. Carbs were supposedly cleaned before I bought it, seems to be correct. Take a look at the ignition advance on my one model year mechanical advance with ignitor. Picked up a decent rear aftermarket rack that I know came off a GS650G. Also some very rusty crusty 3 point case savers that came off a GS650, incredibly with all or most hardware. $2. on ebay but will need much attention and heavy paint.

Items I hope to get to eventually when funds permit are a R/R upgrade, probably a SH775 series unit. Perhaps at least have a another stator on hand. Bike charges now like it should. Headlight relays. Somewhat lower bars. Maybe a different muffler on the MAC 4 into one. Cone Eng. makes several types with a 2.5 inch ID inlet, but $$$ and need to have mount welded on.

Going further on this heap than I had wanted, but knew that likely would be the case. No resto, but hopefully good reliable rider. Sorry about the length!
          Last edited by hank2; 02-07-2020, 06:21 PM.
          1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Show off!
            '78 GS750E (currently undergoing TLC).

Comment

Sheesh, Hank. You pretty much summed up an entire project thread in one post!

Too bad about the blinker lens. If thats the wors thing that happens, you're in good shape though.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

IMG_1560.jpgSpent three hours pulling the forks out yesterday, an hour of which was just figuring out how I was going to manage it by myself without a center stand. I screwed big hooks into the rafters and suspended it with tie down straps and a small hydraulic jack under the crankcase, it seems secure although I still go out the garage from time to time to check.
                The forks will be going to a suspension expert he'll be removing the anti-dive and air assist, adding emulators and new springs. He's also going to make new brake lines converting it from the splitter system to a twin line system.
                Last edited by wyly; 02-07-2020, 05:27 PM.

Comment

I did the emulators and springs a few years ago. A nice improvement. I gutted the PDF anti dive units to make them non functional.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Winter project 2020

Finally started my winter project: take the head off, clean out the carbon build up, port and polish the exhaust ports, lap in the valves, adjust valve clearances.
                    Put all back together with a new Delkevic 4:1 system.
                    Just unbolting the EZ stuff today.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]60206[/ATTACH]Spent three hours pulling the forks out yesterday, an hour of which was just figuring out how I was going to manage it by myself without a center stand. I screwed big hooks into the rafters and suspended it with tie down straps and a small hydraulic jack under the crankcase, it seems secure although I still go out the garage from time to time to check.
                      The forks will be going to a suspension expert he'll be removing the anti-dive and air assist, adding emulators and new springs. He's also going to make new brake lines converting it from the splitter system to a twin line system.
                      I wonder if your suspension guy can answer a question I had some time ago that was / is unanswered.
                      The 1150 forks have a piece called an oil lock. From what I read, it's function is to restrict flow thru the holes in the damper rods under heavy braking and route the oil thru the PDF unit. I asked here if simply omitting it would take the PDF out of the picture, but never got a clear answer. Ultimately I left them in and modified the PDF. It works well, but I'm still curious about the answer.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'll print out your question and bring it to him, he's an extraordinary technician/mechanic but considers himself a suspension expert first. I'll have an answer for you next week.

Comment

I wasn't going to paint until next year but I got bored and as I had all the bits off the bike ... decals removed and sanded. Now I have to come up with colour, I was thinking red but then maybe not. The tank will likely be sanded down to bare metal and polished.

60281562277__7C16BD40-EA40-45A8-B2A5-F167AD487533.jpg

Comment

The GSX1100G is having trouble starting so I pulled the carbs today and parts are currently soaking. I will say pulling these carbs is a piece of cake compared to the FZ1.
                            Current Bikes:
                            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

ew…

Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 02-10-2020, 10:04 AM.
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                                The GSX1100G is having trouble starting so I pulled the carbs today and parts are currently soaking. I will say pulling these carbs is a piece of cake compared to the FZ1.
                                Got it back together yesterday and still wouldn't start. Looked at the spark plugs. Not good. Bought new ones and put them in today. It's alive! All sync'd up and adjusted and ready to go.
                                Current Bikes:
                                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                                X