No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That made me chuckle, Rich. Just curious, with the switch 180° wrong, did the headlight shine red?

We've had beautiful weather here too except for the stinking 50mph wind gusts. I headed out yesterday riding with the wind and it was sweet, turned the corner and nearly got blown over. I was going to head North and see where the road took me, but with the wind decided on a short ride around town.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Yesterday I swapped the foam filter out for a K&N. While in there I realized how funky the airbox and everything around it was, so got busy cleaning. This Gunk engine protector stuff really works. Once I saw the results I just had to do a complete detail job.

First the engine.

Then I decided to sink the carbs. hehehe

All back together now.

I discovered how useful an old electric toothbrush can be while cleaning off the carbs.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Jimminy cricket man, I might as well push my dirty junk to the curb...
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Does this Gunk stuff have the great smell of traditional Gunk, especially when the engine heats up?
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            That made me chuckle, Rich. Just curious, with the switch 180° wrong,
            haha. No. Red headlight would have been cool but the cops in town might object. After almost loosing the 2 bbs and springs in the ignition switch, I made the wrong 50/50 decision on how the cross shape under the key part lined up with the T shaped part of the white circle thingy. Anyway. All the electricals are clean and I’m happy.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              Does this Gunk stuff have the great smell of traditional Gunk, especially when the engine heats up?
              Thankfully, no. It smells rather sweet when it's sprayed and then bakes to a rather toasty, but not quite burnt, popcorn smell. Sadly, that wet looking luster went away after a couple of rides though.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Thankfully, no. It smells rather sweet when it's sprayed and then bakes to a rather toasty, but not quite burnt, popcorn smell. Sadly, that wet looking luster went away after a couple of rides though.
                I'll stick with my traditional Gunk, then. Unfortunately, it's become a pale shadow of its former self, probably full of environmentally-friendly lemon and citrus fruit peelings, with just the faint aroma of old-fashioned Gunk that fairly quickly vanishes, unlike the old stuff that hung around for days every time you warmed it up.
                That smell was evocative of oily old (they weren't old at the time) British big twins as sidecar haulers that my father and uncle had as family transport when I was tiny.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Here I am feeling pretty good about the total strip down, clean up, top-end rebuild, frame paint and electrical de-corrosion job I just finished and along comes Roger Burque with those pics. I give up.

Seriously, Roger. That engine is beautiful.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                    Here I am feeling pretty good about the total strip down, clean up, top-end rebuild, frame paint and electrical de-corrosion job I just finished and along comes Roger Burque with those pics. I give up.

Seriously, Roger. That engine is beautiful.
                    Suzuki made good looking bikes is all. It pretty much looked like this when I got it and I'm trying to keep it that way. Besides, beauty is only skin deep. Compression numbers are dropping and several gaskets are weeping a bit of oil. Another reason to keep it clean and shiny. Makes it easier to wipe the oil away.

Rich, you should pat yourself on the back for what you've done with yours. I'll look to your teardown and rebuild thread for inspiration when the time comes.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

I'm sure I used a wrench here somewhere. Oh yeah, putting a new blade on the circular saw.

Sunken dining room, not sunken anymore.

Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

That will make it much easier to get the bikes in and out of the living room.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Went by the garage yesterday to replace the front brake handle after the fall last Tuesday and ended with a broken master cylinder mount . Seems the bolt that holds the handle was bent inside the handle itself so no matter what I was doing it wasn't coming out.

Need to order a new MC and will check EBay but not sure if I can trust the rebuild kits for the bike from there either. So I'll call Iron Pony this morning as well - at least they are still open on Mondays where all of the other bike shops around me are closed today.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'm sure I used a wrench here somewhere. Oh yeah, putting a new blade on the circular saw.

Sunken dining room, not sunken anymore.

So did your client bury his wife under the concrete?
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I tried to change my oil today. But the oil plug nut seems to be stuck. I surrendered. I guess Ill go to my grandparents garage to do it, but not sure how to unstuck it.

And the filter box seems to leak quite a lot. CMSNL is sooo slow to send me my parts.

I tried to locate my cylinder head cover but it seems permanently gone (got quoted $40 for the cover + 2 screws)...
                              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Took apart the ignition switch on the Kat, that caused the "paper towel wedge under key" incident on my last ride.
                                2 of the 4 locking indent tabs were compromised from the last time I tried to pry it open from a similar issue.
                                This caused the lower housing to float a hair, thus no dash lights or start function.
                                Press the 2 parts together, dash illuminated, release pressure, darkness.

I put a couple of old VHS tape screws into the housing to keep it steady. The horror.
                                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                                X