No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test fitted the Delkevic header and installed the RS carbs and push-pull throttle. Need to weld a tab on to hang the pipe since the footpegs aren't exactly stock. Next I will sort out the wiring for the NextUp kill box.

sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

2 cups of coffee and I'm ready for an oil change:
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        2 cups of coffee and I'm ready for an oil change:
        Wait, so you drink two cups of coffee and the bike has to drain?
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Sorted the muffler mount, got the kill box mounted and functional, and fired up with the new carbs. Started right up and idles well. Haven't synced them yet. I did learn a new term with the RS carbs. "Slide Rattle" At certain off-idle rpms they make a very loud rattling noise from the pods. Supposedly it will lessen when they are synced. Also found I somehow ran the throttle cables through the kill switch lanyard. Doh!

sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            Wait, so you drink two cups of coffee and the bike has to drain?
            Amazing right?
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Rear tire on the wing, oh so fun....
              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Put the Rocket back together, and went for a ride. She’s running really good.

'83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                  Put the Rocket back together, and went for a ride. She’s running really good.

Mean looking bike, I like it.

Comment

Thank you. It was a real lemon when I got her. Been a long pain in the azz journey to get her this far. Up next is paint...
                    '83 GS 1100T
                    The Jet

sigpic
                    '95 GSXR 750w
                    The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

So I went down to St Helens Honda, Polaris, Suzuki to have the valve stem and front tire for my 919 replaced. I also was picking up new clutch springs and gasket for my 83 1100G and a valve stem for the rear of my 919. While paying for the parts, the owner took the tire and wheel to the service dep. and I followed when done cuz I had to pay for the r&r separate. After a short while the owner brings my wheel and apologizes for not having black wheel weights. I told him the bike wouldn’t mind and asked for the bill. No charge, have a good day.
                      These are good and reliable people.....just saying.

V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Since I was waiting for parts for the rear brakes I decided to catch up on some other maintenance items like valve clearance, air filter clean and oil, clean and inspect electrical grounds. As I pulled the tank off, one of the rubber tank cushions disappeared. I spent an hour looking around the garage for it. Even pulled the airbox and checked every nook and cranny in the bike. I'll come up with a rubber grommet or something to use until it turns up and if it doesn't, just add one to the next parts order.

I had to change two shims. Still don't understand how only two out of the eight valves can tighten up. Seems to me like they should all change at the same rate since all the valve springs have the same tension (assuming this to be true), and all have the same number of open/ close cycles per revolution.

Pulling the spark plugs revealed the darn thing still runs lean. Over the past couple of years, I've replaced the boots on both sides of the carbs, sealed the airbox ends, replaced the seal around the top of the filter basket, even changed the main jets from 110 to 115. The snorkel is in great shape and fits well. Even had the mixture screws set at 3.5 turns out in attempt to richen it as much as possible. I decided to shim the needles and see if that helps matters. Still need to sync and tune, but I'm excited to see what difference this makes.

My snap ring pliers needed a bit of modification to fit down into the diaphragm slide things, then worked out nicely.

Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Still don't understand how only two out of the eight valves can tighten up. Seems to me like they should all change at the same rate since all the valve springs have the same tension
                          heat and cam wear? Likely the exhaust valves are having the worst of it? the intake get some extra cooling from air and fuel, I think. You'll want to keep an eye on the ones changing. If the cams lose their "case hardening" they'll wear quick i think.

Yes those stupid rubbers. I mean to glue them on. thanks for the reminder! I should make a project ot this.

Comment

Gustovh, the story of your dealer not charging you for that work is excellent.
                            The loyalty between dealers and customers, going both ways, is rare these days.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Last week I pulled a mountain of old sheets, blankets, and towels, that I slowly piled on the bike over the winter as we did some cleaning / purging of the basement. It was well padded from damage.... It still looked like the same cool old bike that I remember...

Today I drained the gas out of the tank that was starting to smell bad and put in new gas I got for the yard equipment last week.
                              Hopefully I'll get my insurance soretd out soon and be ablto get out. Its been far too long.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The old scooter nearly let me down today. I tried ro start it and it wouldn't. Checked for spark, check.
                                I pulled the carb apart and found that the premix oil had separated from the gas / the gas evaporated. The bottom of the bowl was full of oil. I cleaned out the oil, refilled the carb, and it started in a few kicks.

Simplicity.....
                                http://Untitled by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X