No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GM? What's the differences between the normal GS and this?
    I removed the seats on both bikes(I have the 650gs next to it), and they are slightly different even though the slip says they're the same. Like the rear shocks and a strange cylindrical electronic device near the fuse area with 3 connectors comming out of it on the bike I wrote about above.
    (By the way, the cover is broke, previus owner tried to repair it but one of the tabs didn't quite line up with the holes for attaching it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Bortasqu View Post
      GM? What's the differences between the normal GS and this?
      I removed the seats on both bikes(I have the 650gs next to it), and they are slightly different even though the slip says they're the same. Like the rear shocks and a strange cylindrical electronic device near the fuse area with 3 connectors comming out of it on the bike I wrote about above.
      (By the way, the cover is broke, previus owner tried to repair it but one of the tabs didn't quite line up with the holes for attaching it.)
      The GS650GM is the 650 Katana. The G means it's a shafty. I'm not sure about the M, except, that's the Katana. I don't know how many differences there are, other than the bodyowrk and seat. I think that was the only model that had that spoke pattern with the shaft drive.

They only show up here on the forum every few years. That one looks nearly complete. I hope you can save it. It should be a pretty little bike once it's cleaned up.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I had a 550M Kat for a bit, picked it up for $125, but the crank was twisted, so I bought a 79 550 engine for $75 & swapped it out.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

No real wrenching, but I started the 1150 for the first time since last August. I had some concerns when I drained the carbs last fall and some nasty gas came out. It was uneventful, no difference then starting it after it sat for a week or two. I was happy and relieved.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Bummer… all 3 of my bikes has an issue/not rideable.
            The 1100G needs a tach cable & seals. Ordered those from Bikebandit 2 weeks ago. Ordered another tach cable on ebay.
            The CBR needs a water pump.
            The Katana needs a tank cap and fork seals.
            Parts ordered, all promised delivery by Friday, just have to wait.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Grudgingly got around to buying and fitting a (yet another) set of seal and o-rings for the tacho drive in the head.
              Honestly, the cost per gram of those tiny little seals must be one of the highest outside of NASA, by the time shipping is taken into account. And would anyone wonder why I want to kick them into touch and use electrical gauges?
              Hopefully, this new one will last a little longer, as I discovered the wear ridge on the tacho drive shaft was probably responsible for the relatively early demise of the previous one. A lick of carborundum-de-dum paper and it's all good again.
              By the time this one pegs out, I should have the pair of electrical speedo and tacho gauges ready to fit.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I put in a new tach wire! So now my tach tachs again. Bike also ran different? It felt like it shifted easier and run smoother. Maybe it likes the heat.
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Giving the DRz a full service. Completed valve adjust, carb tweak, oil change, coolant change, 3 of the 5 Locktite fixes (waiting for parts for the other 2), will do brake fluid flush and greasing with the 2 outstanding fixes.

Next comes the 78 (back there by the fuse panel) valve adjust, carb sync and brake fluid flush

Then, the VFR steering head bearings

IMG_20200522_155453871 by T, on Flickr
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Project complete: GS1100G

I think today I've finally got this metal head kicking as.
                    Seems I had the cam timing chain one tooth retarded.
                    Ok, now I got it right.
                    Waiting for tach cables ordered from 2 different sources…bummer
                    5-22-2020_ weight: 557 lb.

Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-22-2020, 07:24 PM.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                      weight: 557 lb
                      Dry or full of fluids & gas?
                      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                        Dry or full of fluids & gas?
                        Full tank, minus 12 mi.
                        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-23-2020, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Sharp looking bike Bill.

I've always wanted to weigh mine. Did you go to a truck stop to use the scale?
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A
                          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                            Sharp looking bike Bill.

I've always wanted to weigh mine. Did you go to a truck stop to use the scale?
                            No. but that might be more accurate. I used a bathroom scale, one tire at a time, then add together.

Comment

track bike maintenance

New fork seals yesterday, new rear tire today: Michelin Power RS.
                              I must have learned something over the years, or just got lucky, both chores went fast and right, no F-UPs.

Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 05-30-2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

After playing with this volt meter/USB port in different locations I decided to attach its base to the black plastic tach sleeve. It came with a handlebar mount but it really didn’t fit anywhere on the bars. So I cut of the circle part off, sanded a curve into the bottom to match the shape of the tach sleeve, and used ABS cement to affix the clip on base. I can un-clip it if I decide I don’t like it and spin the base around so you can’t see it.

And I found an unused switched 12V wire in the headlamp bucket to connect the volt meter to. Now I won’t have to remember to switch it off. It’s a cheap meter and reads a full volt below actual battery. I measured the wire going into the meter and that matched the battery -.1V So as long as I remember that this visual clue is 1 less than battery, I’m good.

And I cleaned every stinking bullet connector and electric plug on the entire bike with naval jelly, water, air, electrical contact spray, then deoxit. It honestly wasn’t as hard as I thought it was going to be.

I also learned that it’s possible to assemble the ignition switch exactly 180deg wrong. That’s a real kick in the knackers when you’ve spent a bunch of hours taking all the electricals apart, cleaning em, putting em back together, 99.9% sure you did everything correctly, turn the key and....swear a blue $(@)”(&:$: streak. Calmed down and figured it out.

I’m waiting on some parts for the rear end, that’s why I’m not riding on this beautiful day. I’m kind of glad I took the time to clean all the wiring. Now I know it’s clean.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-06-2020, 07:57 PM.
                                Rich
                                1982 GS 750TZ
                                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                                X