No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put together a bunk bed for my girlfriend's kids yesterday, so they have a place at my house. I've never seen so many individual parts come out of three boxes, all to create one piece of furniture. I feel like it should have had a LEGO style label, proudly proclaiming "OVER 500 PIECES!"
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
      I tried to change my oil today. But the oil plug nut seems to be stuck. I surrendered. I guess Ill go to my grandparents garage to do it, but not sure how to unstuck it.

And the filter box seems to leak quite a lot. CMSNL is sooo slow to send me my parts.

I tried to locate my cylinder head cover but it seems permanently gone (got quoted $40 for the cover + 2 screws)...
      Is there a crushwasher on that drainplug? If it's crazy tight, I'd start worrying about it having been crossthreaded.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        Is there a crushwasher on that drainplug? If it's crazy tight, I'd start worrying about it having been crossthreaded.
        There is a washer of some sort. Can't recall exactly.

I might be the worst bike mechanic in the world

I will try again tomorrow, I have more spare time then. I found a set of bags with a rack for only $50, but its 1000 kilometres away so then I have to ride down and get it. I guess I can try to heat it or something.
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          That will make it much easier to get the bikes in and out of the living room.
          Street bikes only though. Knobbies are rather rough on the finished floor...

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          So did your client bury his wife under the concrete?
          Ha, no but we did talk about hiding a safe in there.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            I got it off. I dont think it was more stuck than last time.

Found an oil leak in my final drive though (i think its common after changing oil?).

Just waiting for all the oil to seep out so I can fill her up with the finest 10w40 mineral my local bikeshop has to offer (yamalube).
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

I did the oil change, without incident! Drained the oil, almost didn't make a mess, and got new oil in (used less torque on the drain plug), rode for a bit and it holds oil. I was feeling a bit frustrated with the whole bike maintenance thing, but this actually went well.

Now Im going to clean the air filter!

GS1000G 1981

Comment

Noreg
                Soon, maintenance will become almost as enjoyable as riding. Just remember if using compressed air to clean the air filter, blow from the inside of the filter, out. And not from the outside, in.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  Noreg
                  Soon, maintenance will become almost as enjoyable as riding. Just remember if using compressed air to clean the air filter, blow from the inside of the filter, out. And not from the outside, in.
                  I don't understand, why would I want it cleaned? Aren't they disposable?
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

You changed the oil filter, right?
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                      You changed the oil filter, right?
                      Not this time? Manual says every other time, and Im waiting for new bolts.
                      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                        I don't understand, why would I want it cleaned? Aren't they disposable?
                        If you already Have a new one on hand go ahead and replace it. I bought a new one when I first got my bike because the original one was thick with grime. Ever since, I’ve just been blowing it out to clean it. Your filter may not be like mine.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

If you already Have a new one on hand go ahead and replace it. I bought a new one when I first got my bike because the original one was thick with grime. Ever since, I’ve just been blowing it out to clean it. Your filter may not be like mine.
                          One of the studs are too far in, and two of the acorn nuts are stuck to the studs. I am not sure how I managed that, but I don't really want to touch it until I have new studs, washers, and acorn nuts and some threadlocker (and possibly a friend with a blunt object to slap me with if I do something dumb).

I have at least two new filters.

And now that the oil is back in, isn't it somewhat too late?
                          GS1000G 1981

Comment

Air filter.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

We seem to be talking about 2 different things here. I was responding to your comment about cleaning the AIR Filter here. Johns comment was about changing the OIL filter. I’m with you on the Oil filter. Wait til you have the parts to sort out the studs before removing that cover.

after looking at what I THINK is your owners manual, your AIR filter is completely different and is cleaned differently. Is yours like this?
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

We seem to be talking about 2 different things here. I was responding to your comment about cleaning the AIR Filter here. Johns comment was about changing the OIL filter. I’m with you on the Oil filter. Wait til you have the parts to sort out the studs before removing that cover.

after looking at what I THINK is your owners manual, your AIR filter is completely different and is cleaned differently. Is yours like this?
                                Yes, that looks more like my air filter. Your picture resembled my oil filter, hence the confusion (cleaning an oil filter with compressed air sounds messy).

I was planning on following that instruction, I have a (presumably non-flammable) solvent ready. Should I try to ignite it? It says air filter cleaner on the box. And then Ill give it motoroil. If its torn Ill get a new one.
                                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                                X