No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried removing the intake boot screws, but it proved difficult. Impact driver didn't have an impact, tried drilling a hole and using the stick thing you smash into it, but I struggled getting a deep enough hole (wonder if my bit is worn after just doing 3 screws). I am not sure if I am going to fix it or just leave it for another time, I sort of want to ride.
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
      Got a 94 Xt350 for my son to go on fire roads when he gets his permit (soon), he likes it a lot. It's not powerful but good enough, has a YZ front fork which is good but no speedometer. Worked on some small stuff, put a new clutch side gasket on, sorted out headlight and put in a new battery. Kick start only with automatic compression release.

Not bad for well under a grand, needs little things but runs fine. Now I have 4 bikes to work on, have to block Craigslist from myself.

Nice score. My oldest son inherited my wife's xt 225 and he loved it, well till it got stolen anyway Your son should be stoked.

Speaking of new riders, my youngest at 23 is taking the MSF course next week. If all goes well he'll ride my 850 on our camping trip next month. He is a pretty good rider so the course should be a breeze.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I fixed the front brake brake light (switch was corroded) and I tried to fix my honk button and indicators. I lost one spring and had one spring extra when I was done... I suspect its the push indicator back springs. Wonder where I can buy an assortment of tiny springs.
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

And I was going to suggest you bag that horn button assembly before disassembly, but you dove in already. I've got an assortment of pens and mechanical pencils laying around that have donated their springs to just such an endeavor. May take a little digging to find ones that are close to the same diameter/strength and cut to length. Good luck, been there.

And I think I've decided that from now on, I'm calling it a "honk" button, too. Love it.
          Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 08-24-2020, 10:50 AM.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
            I fixed the front brake brake light (switch was corroded) and I tried to fix my honk button and indicators. I lost one spring and had one spring extra when I was done... I suspect its the push indicator back springs. Wonder where I can buy an assortment of tiny springs.
            I think someone here recently used part of a ball point pen spring...

EDIT: Dang...late again...
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Noreg's travails persuaded me to go after my front brake switch. The way the bits came out and the level of verdigris, I'm surprised it worked at all.
              The copper saddle shaped contact has two tabs that look like they are supposed to retain it in holes in the plastic spring holder. I opened them out a bit and it pushed back in with a satisfying click. No way that thing is going to fly apart now.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                And I was going to suggest you bag that horn button assembly before disassembly, but you dove in already. I've got an assortment of pens and mechanical pencils laying around that have donated their springs to just such an endeavor. May take a little digging to find ones that are close to the same diameter/strength and cut to length. Good luck, been there.

And I think I've decided that from now on, I'm calling it a "honk" button, too. Love it.
                I went ahead and splurged on a new honker to celebrate the button working:

It, as the original, is labeled 105 decibel. But this one spooked me a bit when I pushed the button, its LOUD. I was worried replacing them entiled a bunch of complicated things, but no. The connectors fit right on (just have to bend the ones on the new honker 90 degrees) and then its plug and play. I don't think polarity of the wires matter either (or I got lucky). In retrospect I see that attaching the wires before attaching the bolt would have been a lot easier.

I think Ill replace the other one too (the one I replaced was disconnected and was very rusty). But then I wonder, should I get the same with high tone, or get the low tone?

My bike is still working like an oil fountain and spewing oil from the top/front. It also seems it pulls a bit uneven at higher rpms, and I think the clutch slipped when I gave it full throttle up a mountain in third (reved higher but no increase in speed). Wasn't able to reproduce it due to cows, sheep and a car being in my way.

Edit: after doing some research I have concluded I should have one high and one low tone horn. Ill get a low tone tomorrow.
                Last edited by Noreg; 08-24-2020, 02:21 PM.
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                  Noreg's travails persuaded me to go after my front brake switch. The way the bits came out and the level of verdigris, I'm surprised it worked at all.
                  The copper saddle shaped contact has two tabs that look like they are supposed to retain it in holes in the plastic spring holder. I opened them out a bit and it pushed back in with a satisfying click. No way that thing is going to fly apart now.
                  Is there any other springs in there than the bellow the two peak copper thing?
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

Is there any other springs in there than the bellow the two peak copper thing?
                    Just one spring.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

If the first one is a high tone then go with the Low Tone Noreg; they sound good together
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        If the first one is a high tone then go with the Low Tone Noreg; they sound good together

Will do. The original one has like barely any sound. Wonder if they can be refurbished or if they are trash.

I saw someone upgrade their headlights to some higher watt bulbs, my bike is H4 right? Would 80/100 watt melt my headlight bucket?
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

I went ahead and installed a second honker to get it symmetrical, and for more sound. Mixing high and low tone made a good and intimidating sound. I can now be sure I can alert people of danger.

As you might also notice, I have replaced my brake lines in the front with Snell Braided Steel lines. Everything seems to have crap in it (the reservoir, the splitter, the calipers), so I need to do a full tear down, but I should order o-rings and stuff first. I had real trouble bleeding these lines, I never seemed to get any pressure in the handle, but the fluid was coming out unbobly. So I tied a rag around the lever and went to work. When I came back and untied the rag the brakes seems to work as expected (need to do a road test though). I am thinking there were air in the master or something? And the bubles just went up when I left it. If anyone has any better explanation Id be happy to hear.

I could not get that copper out, my toolbox knife was nowhere to be found and I forgot about the bike knife. I just attached the hoses outside of them after cleaning. Is that bad?

I figure I need to tear the entire thing apart soon anyways as it seems rather messy inside. How does gunk get to the reservoir?

If anyone is in the market for vintage lightly used OEM brake lines for the front, let me know
                          GS1000G 1981

Comment

Still trying to get the tune right on the Blue Bomber. Added a K&N air filter but think I may still have to go down a main jet size.

3.jpg

Comment

I could not get that copper out, my toolbox knife was nowhere to be found and I forgot about the bike knife. I just attached the hoses outside of them after cleaning. Is that bad?
                              Should fit new copper washers or anneal the old ones (anneal copper by holding them in a gas burner flame until they glow then plunge them into water). There's a washer either side of the banjo - one between the banjo and caliper and one between the banjo and hollow bolt head.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Luckily I found my leak, sadly its the gasket on the top of the engine :/

Steel braided brake lines on the front works great, and the new honkers have a lot more honk.

So I guess Ill have to read up on removing the top of the engine.
                                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                                X