No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

image_59598.jpg I don't recall posting a photo of my completed alloy fairing, I was having too many issues posting photos.
    this is much better.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Wow, sounds like you have dealt with a lot of details and technical "hoops" for all that retrofit.

Note: Since forum update a couple months ago, you can now upload photo directly (one per post). THe "upload attatchment" button on lower left.
      Thanks for the photo edit update, still cumbersome but much improved.

Comment

unnamed.jpg

The new digital brain in my efe. Quite intimidating when I began but it's so obviously simple now that I'm done.

Comment

A bigger view of completed rewire.
          IMG-3557(3).jpg

Comment

New programmable gauge is great, as are the momentary switches. Oem is nice but these new toys are sweet.
            IMG-3560.2.jpg
            Last edited by wyly; 07-05-2022, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
              image_59598.jpg I don't recall posting a photo of my completed alloy fairing, I was having too many issues posting photos.
              this is much better.
              Yes I like it. Looks like an M creation for Bond or maybe a SPECTRE assassin's bike.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

This is what the wiring from an efe looks like when it's unwrapped there's an equal sized 2nd pile to the left, I was all in at this point there was no going back. Yeah I was very intimidated I had know idea where to start.
                IMG-3451(1).2.jpg

Comment

this is much better.
                  That's a stunner.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post

Yes I like it. Looks like an M creation for Bond or maybe a SPECTRE assassin's bike.
                    I had no idea where it would end up when I began. I purchased it from my brother for $1, it had been sitting in his shed since 1991. I restored it to oem efe condition over the next two years but then I grew tired of repairing the brittle fairing panels so I planned to convert to a naked ride. I sourced some parts for conversion then shelved that idea and replaced the two faulty centre panels with alloy. Good enough I thought then a buddy who was an aviation fabricator suggested I should do the entire bike and he'd lend me his english wheel and brake.. he said it would be easy. Not so easy but ten months later I had a new fairing. I initially I wanted a completely smooth skin but my welding skills weren't up to the task I needed a tig but only had a mig and the alloy gauge was too thin for welding. So I used rivets and settled for an aviation look. Surprisingly it's lighter than the oem plastic, has better airflow and is quieter too.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

That's a stunner.
                      Thanks I've grown fond of it I've made it my own and there's little chance of encountering another like it. I didn't know how it would be received by others and certainly wasn't prepared for the crowds of curious bikers it would attract, I find it all a bit embarrassing.

IMG-3068.jpg
                      a photo from last year I've not figured out how to rotate a photo as yet.
                      The electrical components peeking out under the side panels were eliminated with the new control module.

Comment

Let's try it this way. This bike is a piece of art. Well done.

Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yes: It looks good. When I read what you were doing I secretly thought there is no way it would look good but I was wrong. Great job.
                          1986 1150EF
                          2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

i had no idea where it would end up when i began. I purchased it from my brother for $1, it had been sitting in his shed since 1991. I restored it to oem efe condition over the next two years but then i grew tired of repairing the brittle fairing panels so i planned to convert to a naked ride. I sourced some parts for conversion then shelved that idea and replaced the two faulty centre panels with alloy. Good enough i thought then a buddy who was an aviation fabricator suggested i should do the entire bike and he'd lend me his english wheel and brake.. He said it would be easy. Not so easy but ten months later i had a new fairing. I initially i wanted a completely smooth skin but my welding skills weren't up to the task i needed a tig but only had a mig and the alloy gauge was too thin for welding. So i used rivets and settled for an aviation look. Surprisingly it's lighter than the oem plastic, has better airflow and is quieter too.

Im-Press-Ive. . . . . . .

looks obviously custom, but still somewhat like an EFE.
                            Last edited by Redman; 07-06-2022, 09:49 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

this is much better.
                              Very nice, would love to see it up close.
                              1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                              New project 1979 GS1000S
                              Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

After putting on nearly 8200 miles, the Bandit received new PR4s today. I’ll break those in tomorrow night and then figure out where I’m going next.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X