• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing better than a free bike. Nice!
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Well I worked hard this week. Bought me some 6x6 sills to replace the ones neath my 38 year old shed.
      ANgry wood ants everywhere! I would have normally just torn it down and built a new one but if I insulate it and add a bunsen burner I can rent it out for 1000 a month.
      Odd thing about the shed it was the correct distance from the neighbours line when built but due to frost heaving and loam and clay it walked three feet over the line.
      Neighbour said they did not mind but saving it requires aa good amount of work so Im rotating it and super modifying it .

I calculated its about 6 grand fro materials new so I shuddered and gasped and bought my nice rough sawn hemlock. Odd looking at a piece of wood that will outlive me.
      I should youtube the process as no loony in the world but me seems to have ben inspired to measure the needed placement of a pivot point to swing it around.
      but naw what the heck let em crush themselves with a shed with their own engineering prowess.

AS a result of my efforts and due to delayed onset muscle soreness I woke this AM feeling like a small train had hit me. Exhausted and short of breath. Secretly nursing a conspiracy that my last covid shot caused irreparable harm.

but there's things to do. I recently di the brakes on my ever aging Impala and alas the driver rear hub bearing is needing replacement.
      SO sick and self pitying I summoned sufficient spite and self loathing to overcome my physical disability.

I knew it could be a bear as GM in order to reduce unsprung weight made the hub from steel and the carrier(can yah call it a knuckle anymore) from alyoooominiyum.
      Personally I think it was to have a laugh at the misery caused by galvanic corrosion.

so with my MAPP gas torch and penetrating oil and the wrenches it took me an hour to find I started to work.

You all should be amazed that the hub assembly is fastened in place with 10 mm headed bolts. Doubtless exceedingly strong ones.
      SO I did the grumpy old man heat cycling and dribble of lube thing and I was simply blown away. Only one bolt gave a hint of trouble so it got a triple dose of cycling.

A small bit of joy burbled up in me which I immediately suppressed lest the car repair gods punish hubris by making the actual separation of the hub make the damnation of Sisyphus look like a leisurely stroll.

Heat cycled the houshing, dripped lube. and again and again. Then tapped the joint all around with a sharp wood chisel to mechanically shock things.
      tapped the hub with a clubbing hammer once and it fell out.

I instantly felt like a million.

You watch guys thrashing at rusted bits when gently tedious persuasion works. No breakage. no blood. No air chisel or sledge hammer.

So do I get the AC DELCO bits or can the Chinese really make a reliable hub and ship it to me for 64 dollars?

1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

haha well, I was considering my brakes on my aged vehicle but after reading that plus all the squatting and kneeling with poor lighting and the always-necessary ad-hoc tool innovations, I'm now considering driving it into the local chain repair shop even if my "satisfaction moment" may come when I make a clean getaway from the bank I rob paying for it ...

Comment

I put a Chinese chain store branded alternator on our Honda Pilot a few years ago.. it literally lasted for 70 miles then it made smoke and bearing death noise. The real kick in the arse was the difficulty of the changeout...

I should have known better. One of the buildings we service is a warehouse that imports aftermarket parts - water pumps, alternators, bearing assemblies, etc. They come off the truck in giant crates unboxed. They then get boxed and have the appropriate auto store label slapped on the box, then get shipped out locally.

The return / defective part section in the building is impressive in a bad way.
          Last edited by dorkburger; 09-30-2022, 12:41 PM.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Today's task was to replace the rec/reg in the Kat 650. Battery dead after a full charge and a good run. There was a significant draw on the battery with the ignition off. Multimeter diagnosis showed at least 2 diodes dead. Had a spare in the garage. New battery required (dead cell).

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
            ​​
            Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

I put on a taller and more leaned back windshield on the Goldwing. Also added arm rests for the wife. I am finding myself enjoying riding that big honker. I may be turning into an old guy. But, I got on the FZ1 yesterday and dang, it's so much faster and fun to ride! Still love it!
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Stripped and inspected the rear shocks on my GS1000. All working correctly, so have given them a polish before refitting.

20221110_123346 by Dennis Harland, on Flickr
                My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Wow! Those look new, Dennis.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks Steve, 43 years young and 92k miles.
                    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Working on a catch pan for my track bike. Seems track insurers are super sissy about a drip of oil hear or there.
                      This is a chipboard mock up to get the fit right before I cut up $80 worth of aluminum.

2qeZ5MD.jpg
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                        This is a chipboard mock up to get the fit right before I cut up $80 worth of aluminum.

[ATTAC.............................ACH]
                        Looks good, and Seems like a good way to do it.
                        And, let me guess, and a few tabs somewhere for mounting screws....?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Put some superbike bars on the Gladius. Stock bars had awkward taper & slightly bent to begin with.
                          Had to remove one throttle cable off the push-pull throttle body under tank to remove housing & the bars end weight removal was difficult, due to rust, causing the rubber internal expander to just spin.

Then I partially assembled a Warn snowplow attachment for a 2006 Can-Am 400xt quad I recently imported from Canada to handle any snow issues we might get.
                          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Coolant and clutch fluid change in the '08 Hayabusa today... been catching up on maintenance on my fleet this month.
                            2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                            2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Got this belly pan job in the bag. Will have to paint it, next warm weather…

1DvxrEx.jpg
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

This little project has been waiting since last summer. Trying to reduce all the helmet buffeting I get at track speeds.
                                Little side plates to extend the pressure bubble beyond my helmet.

QRay4Ce.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X