No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darkside MkII tyre in place, a 155r15 Michelin X.
    This will restore some of the lost speed, as the 135r15 was simply too small - it fitted perfectly but the engine was working too hard, effectively topping out at 90mph. That wasn't good for peace of mind or mechanical longevity.

IMGP0053.jpg
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Wrenching...... removed battery box again today..... that was the "wrenching".
      But the multimeter was the more significant tool.

Prior story:
      SHortly after riding GK home from Brown County (where replaced stator in motel parking lot), had more charging problems.
      Then I checked stator open circuit voltage, good 70VAC or more on all three(dont recall specifics at the moment), and good phase-phase ohm on all three, something like 0.5 ohm (dont recall specifics at the moment), so I condemned the R/R. Besides, the r/r was about an old Dunnage/Honda r/r from about 10-12 years ago. And I had a new SH775 (and triumph connector/harness) on hand that I havent installed for a couple years.
      So, I went about replacing the R/R with the SH775 (was a lot easier after Steve suggested how to remove the battery box).
      And . . . still marginal to no charging. . . .
      Suspect might be the wiring, but if I cant properly understand and wire up an r/r, I might as well retire from doing anything. But I checked things over.

Bye then was getting to be summer, hot humid in garage . . . and working on bike was interfering with other important stuff, you know, going out for morning pier walk, going out for coffee, going for ride, evening photo expeditions (you know, retired life, .. and have other bike) . . . so the GK sat, ignored.
      Remainder of June, july, August and into September. Even past when can use the excuse of garage being hot-humid.

So, today, I changed my habit, (didnt go for ride, didnt go for pier walk, didnt go for coffee) went out to garage first thing in morning. Removed the battery box again

I know cant really do an ohm check or diode check on the sh775, but I could do some sort of bench test thru the harness/connector and then remove the connectors, and do the same test on the sh775 itself. Maybe was problem with the triumph harness/connector on the sh775. Nope checked out the same.
      Was frustrating.
      Sat and pondered.
      And somehow it occurred to me: I have done the open circuit voltage test on the stator, and the phase to phase ohm check, but maybe I didnt do the phase to ground ohm check.
      Doah: something like 1.2, 1.2, 0.6 ohm, when suppose to be open (infinite resistance).

Okay, so instead of being annoyed that could not figure out the problem. Now I know what to do next: get another stator, and then do some more wrenching. I'll try to not be annoyed about what killed new stator in a matter of days and a few hundred miles.

>>later note: In photo it may appear that the ring terminal is on the brown wire (inner, positive). It is not, the ring terminal is on the black (ground), outer wire.
      Last edited by Redman; 09-14-2022, 02:36 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Putting the KZ400B back on the road.
        It's my son's bike. He's in BC now riding a RE Continental GT up from his previous TUX. Last time he had the 400 out it dumped a tank of petrol into the sump.
        The tap was leaking on Run but not Res.
        The backing plate on the air side of the diaphragm had broken.
        Still doesn't explain how it got past the floats and nothing was coming out the vac line spigot at the tap.
        It's holding up for now but I will get a new diaphragm assy.
        Despite it's only having 5000 miles there was in my mind an issue with the first thread for the sump plug.
        I turned it over and had a good long look and then a half hour carefully cleaning and thread filing and very gentle chasing with an undersize tap of the same thread pitch.
        Eventually the plug walked in past the first thread.
        Had the bike not been so easy to upend this could have gone bad.
        I shoehorned an old YB14 battery from the 850 in there. Not rideable in that condition.
        After removing all sorts of grit in various parts of the fuel system she started on the third kick and is charging.
        I'm, we're really looking forward to this on the road. I sold the 850. It was getting to the point that too many things needed doing and I had decided I neither want nor need 70hp and the 260kg wet that goes with it.
        Last edited by Brendan W; 09-18-2022, 08:46 AM.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Replaced the snapped clutch cable on my GS650G Katana. Did an oil and filter change as the same time. Ready to ride again.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
          ​​
          Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

IM shocked this threads 12 years old!!!!!
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Some things take longer to fix that you first thought?
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                12 year old shocks are like new around here.
                ---- Dave
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Doah…. . . . . .
                  483F05D0-037B-4E8D-BAC1-10F008C6318D.jpg

I can blame myself for that, for two reasons: 1) for impact driver I had a #2phillips bit, not a #3, not a JIS and 2) after it not coming loose after a couple seconds (like the other two) I was gonna quit and ponder using the slug impact, so I let off the down pressure and the trigger -crinchhh- stripped out that quick. Should have kept up the pressure and let off the trigger.

>>later note. Cutting slot with dremmel and using straight bit didn’t work, just twisted off most of the head.
                  cut head off with dremel, and got stator off. Got out remaining stud with plyers (easily).
                  now to find replacement screw.
                  Last edited by Redman; 09-20-2022, 03:31 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Oof, Hand Impact screwdriver would have been your friend here, case on a pillow and give it a whack. Now, with the other two out, the stator might be able to wiggle enough to break the third bugger free, then try your luck w/ a vice grips. Seem to recall those being held pretty well fast w/ loctite. Think I used blue when I reassembled mine. Bah, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. Good Luck with it Dave.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

You won't be able to wiggle it as the stator is positively located by the inner ring of the mount. If all else fails drill 0.5 - 1 mm bigger than the thread diameter, then vice grips on the exposed thread. BTW heat liquifies thread locker. So heating up the thread can make it a lot easier.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
                      ​​
                      Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

I should have known better than to comment on another member’s maintenance goofs. Changing oil and filter this evening, the red part of the oil pressure sensor spun when I tried to loosen the nut that holds the sensor wire terminal. Of course the 40 rear old terminal broke. Got it sorted. Went for a little night ride. I’ll have to keep an eye on that for oil leaks. The red part never spun before in previous removals of that screw.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-20-2022, 08:14 PM.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Dropped the antenna mast last week to replace some parts the weather had attacked over the past few years.

Ready to heave back up next dry day...
                          antenna refurb sep 2022 6.jpg
                          ---- Dave

Comment

Put a $80 AGM battery in a totally free 2013 Gladius 650 (cheesy name 3rd gen SV 650) with title & key listed on CL. Ad said it had 15K, but actually has only 3Kish.
                            Drove 5 miles to pick it up.
                            Oil was overfilled so drained some. Checked coolant-full n blue.
                            Apparently left front fork bent slightly so, a 06-09 GSXR front end & shock is a possiblilty.
                            Fired right up with new battery.
                            Zipped down the street full un agatt- birks, shorts, no helmet. Full kook-squid moment.
                            Friend clued me into it on a Thursday morning, figured there'd be an endless line of takers, I was the only one who responded, what?
                            20220923_155339 by Carter Turk, on Flickr
                            20220926_160841 by Carter Turk, on Flickr
                            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Nice score Carter!
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

What Rich said. Looks like it cleaned up pretty well.
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X