what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    Wow! Interesting that there's NOS stuff like that still hanging around. I rebuilt mine with straight rate springs, cartridge emulators, and disabled the anti dives. Definitely an improvement.
    Doesn't really surprise me. It can depend on who you get talking to. Not all of them know what is gathering dust in dark corners under their noses.
    Anyone fancy volunteering to help your local dealer out on stock taking day ? Finders fee ?
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Warm enough for spring prep. Oil pan gasket, oil, filter change and deep cleaning of underside filth.
      Love the Delkevic stainless system, came apart ez and cleaned up ez.
      I did not choose to scrub it too intense around the top bend by hand only. However with a power tool no problem buffing down to clean metal.

yc3ns0j.jpg

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Rear brake was not working so I got a kit and took the caliper and cylinder apart.

Pistons in caliper were a bit stuck but there was no corrosion. Good cleaning and new sealings and they work as new.

Cylinder was completely stuck and got it open with force - luckily nothing broke.

Again there was no pitting or such and after putting it together with new parts everything is OK again.

1983 GS1000G | 1984 GSX1100EF | 1997 FLHR| -16 FLSTC 103 HO | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Comment

Completed a rite of passage yesterday - new stator installed. I had already installed a new R/R (SH775), yesterday I did the stator and rewiring. Wired the stator directly to the R/R as suggested. Although it’s still pretty frigid here in Ottawa (-5°C yesterday), managed to get the bike started in the garage. Was probably about 8-10°C in there. Good to hear it running after sitting all winter.

Comment

Added some crash protection to the 78 GS750 today.

​Hope I never see how well they work!

These crash guards have been around the GSR a while. I bought 2 sets of them from Burque73 hopeful that they would fit another bike, they didn't. He had no idea what they fit.

I forwarded one set on to NCGS, he thought they might fit his bike, they didn't! I believe he forwarded them on to someone else on here?

So, whoever has them now, I can confirm that they do fit a 1978 GS750.
            Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
            1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I wish I was wrenching..... I have two GS 450S's in the garage that I am trying to get to. Seems like there's not enough time in the day.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                Added some crash protection to the 78 GS750 today.

​Hope I never see how well they work!

These crash guards have been around the GSR a while. I bought 2 sets of them from Burque73 hopeful that they would fit another bike, they didn't. He had no idea what they fit.

I forwarded one set on to NCGS, he thought they might fit his bike, they didn't! I believe he forwarded them on to someone else on here?

So, whoever has them now, I can confirm that they do fit a 1978 GS750.
                Ron, which set fit your '78 750? The mounting tabs were different. My drawings are on my desktop in storage, but after our remodel and we get our office put back together, I'd like to post the scanned images of the drawings with the bike it fits. Maybe start a thread for crash bar fittment with simple printable drawings. They fit easily on a regular piece of paper. I would remove the ones from my 850 and add to the list too. Those would cover a few bikes after 1982.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post

Ron, which set fit your '78 750? The mounting tabs were different. My drawings are on my desktop in storage, but after our remodel and we get our office put back together, I'd like to post the scanned images of the drawings with the bike it fits. Maybe start a thread for crash bar fittment with simple printable drawings. They fit easily on a regular piece of paper. I would remove the ones from my 850 and add to the list too. Those would cover a few bikes after 1982.
                  Roger, I sent you a picture of the side view if that helps any. I thought both sets were identical, my bad!
                  Ron
                  When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                  1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                  1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                  1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                  1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post

Roger, I sent you a picture of the side view if that helps any. I thought both sets were identical, my bad!
                    Got it! Thank you
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

This is great! I'm glad we finally figured out which bike these fit on. I sent the set I had to chuck hahn.

Comment

Originally posted by Sixdog View Post
                        Started working on my 80 GS1000ST ( Australian Wes Cooley ). Going to clean it up and make some very mild modifications.
                        Bike is pretty beat up...exhaust rusted through and many nuts and bolts rusted or not stock. Engine solid and quiet. I decided to make some "major" updates so here I go. Engine is blacked out and powder coated parts are in as well as wheels. much more to do...
                        Attached Files
                        80 GS1000s Wes Cooley, 82 GS1000sz Katana, 83 KZ1000r Eddie Lawson, 79 Honda CBX, 83 Honda CB1100rc, 84 Honda VF1000f, 86 Honda VFR750, 93 Honda CBR900rr Urban Tiger, 86 Yamaha FZ750, 01 Honda CBR1100xx

Comment

Yesterday after a ride I decided to tear into my whiny tach in the hopes of cleaning it up and oiling it. Tear down went well but I absolutely destroyed the blue lens with a soft polishing tip dremel bit. These colored lenses are extremely soft and it didn’t take link at all to wreck it. The red and blue lenses were fogged from a previous attempt to clear the guts by squirting brake kleen into the works. Pics included just because.

Then I decided to hop on eBay and see what was out there. Found this nearly perfect tach for $50. It’s on its way.

The ring on the eBay one has a small ding at the top. I may swap out the ring from existing tach which is in good shape even after all my prying.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                            Yesterday after a ride I decided to tear into my whiny tach in the hopes of cleaning it up and oiling it. Tear down went well but I absolutely destroyed the blue lens with a soft polishing tip dremel bit. These colored lenses are extremely soft and it didn’t take link at all to wreck it. The red and blue lenses were fogged from a previous attempt to clear the guts by squirting brake kleen into the works. Pics included just because.

Then I decided to hop on eBay and see what was out there. Found this nearly perfect tach for $50. It’s on its way.

The ring on the eBay one has a small ding at the top. I may swap out the ring from existing tach which is in good shape even after all my prying.
                            PLUS: once you pull the needle off, you're gonna have a hard time re-setting the needle so it reads accurately.
                            Same is true for the speedometer.
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post

PLUS: once you pull the needle off, you're gonna have a hard time re-setting the needle so it reads accurately.
                              Same is true for the speedometer.
                              Thanks Bill. When I pulled the needle off, I was expecting a "D" shaped spindle and a "D" shaped hole in the back of the needle. I was not expecting a knurled spindle on which I would have to perfectly index the needle on re-assembly. Oh-well, it was fun to take apart anyway. I currently have a slightly less ugly but even noisier tach on the bike. I just hope the new one isn't noisy. It's driving me nuts.

Any recommendation on proper oil or grease to put up inside the spindle hosing that the tach cable goes into? I've read sewing machine oil. I'm sure I don't have that.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

you're oiling the cable insides, use motor oil, and wire tie the cable end at the head, so it can't unscrew.

Comment

Working...
                                X