No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I'm not talking about lubing the cable. I mean the clock-works of the tach itself. I've never had a tach or speedo cable sheath unthread itself at either end but can see that it is possible. I want to make sure the guts of the tach from becoming whiny like the two units I have.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      Yesterday after a ride I decided to tear into my whiny tach in the hopes of cleaning it up and oiling it. Tear down went well but I absolutely destroyed the blue lens with a soft polishing tip dremel bit. These colored lenses are extremely soft and it didn’t take link at all to wreck it. The red and blue lenses were fogged from a previous attempt to clear the guts by squirting brake kleen into the works. Pics included just because.

Then I decided to hop on eBay and see what was out there. Found this nearly perfect tach for $50. It’s on its way.

The ring on the eBay one has a small ding at the top. I may swap out the ring from existing tach which is in good shape even after all my prying.
      Is that a home made tool for pulling the needle?
      1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
      New project 1979 GS1000S
      Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post

Is that a home made tool for pulling the needle?
        No, it’s a plastic automotive panel prybar. Part of a set. Very helpful for popping off car interior panels.

Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I used a pair of paint can openers...
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Bobs paint can opener/church key solution would be better as it would lift the needle off the spindle in-line with the spindle. My method would leave the hole in the needle somewhat worse for wear with the off-kilter lifting.
            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-04-2023, 02:01 PM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

No, I'm not talking about lubing the cable. I mean the clock-works of the tach itself. I've never had a tach or speedo cable sheath unthread itself at either end but can see that it is possible. I want to make sure the guts of the tach from becoming whiny like the two units I have.
              Use a newer synthetic lube, if you wanna be serious. I'd probably still use motor oil.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

For lubing the cables I have a bottle of the stuff that the local Mennonite bicycle shop uses to lube cables. They either make it or put it in small bottles to sell from a 55 gallon drum out back. You can't get more serious about bikes than the Mennonites. No Joke. For inside the clocks' spindles, I did just purchase a small bottle of sewing machine oil from Amazon for about $2.50. Think I'll try that first. Thanks Bill.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

No, it’s a plastic automotive panel prybar. Part of a set. Very helpful for popping off car interior panels.

Thanks. Good to know, could be handy some day.
                  1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                  New project 1979 GS1000S
                  Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

My 1978 GS 1000 would only run on three cylinders. I replaced the spark plug caps, spark plugs, cleaned every wire connection (with a set of $60 diamond electrical cleaning tools), and ran another cable from the negative battery post to the frame (two grounding cables now). It has never ran better in the 5 years that I've owned it. I think the headlight is brighter now also, I'll know more when I take it out at night.
                    1978 GS 1000

Comment

No description necessary…

uKoRvgr.jpg
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Finally sync'd the carbs on the 750 today. Slowly getting it back the way I want it!
                        Ron
                        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Just curious, did you use a Morgan Carbtune?
                          btw, your bike looks fantastic!
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks, it's slowly getting back to the condition that it was in when I sold it a couple years ago. I used my trusty old mercury-filled sticks!
                            Ron
                            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                            1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Oh my gosh I finally got one of the bikes running today with an oil change and battery replacement on the Bandit. And I did it in the new shop!

First Oil Change in New Shop by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                                Oh my gosh I finally got one of the bikes running today with an oil change and battery replacement on the Bandit. And I did it in the new shop....
                                Congratulations on both the shop and the oil change. It has to be a good feeling when you reap rewards from all that hard work.
                                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                                X