• Show
Clear All

How are pods more powerful?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Not much here, either, but I think my son's 850 is ready for his brother to take it to Flori-duh.

Finally got in the brake rebuild parts, so the front calipers have new pistons and seals, the front master cylinder has a rebuild kit in it, too.

Over the last couple of weeks, that bike has also gotten new gears in the secondary drive, so it should be READY to go.

A second master cylinder also got a rebuild kit, but it got a reservoir kit, too.
      That one is going back on Junior, to replace the one I had to borrow from TheCafeKid so I could make it to the Red River Rally.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Been working on the 1991 GSX1100G. It is currently on the centerstand with the oil pan dropped and the counterbalancer out. The o-rings for the counter balancer shaft and the oil pan gasket came in yesterday so work will resume today. Coming along shortly will be new muffler connectors and intake boots for the 82 GL.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          Made some more progress today. It was a heatwave! It almost hit 40 degrees!!!So, I heated up the paint gun and (after getting the ice out of the air line) shot the exterior with some tinted oil-base primer......
          Great project. I enjoy seeing photos of your steady progress.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Worked on taking off the brackets from the airbox tonight. Pictures in my 81 GS550T in CO Sprgs project thread.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Since my Suzuki Barn is now closer to completion, I "Broke it in" today.
              Craywm (I haven't forgot you) and some others have been looking for some parts so...
              it was time to bring the '79 GS1000L into the operating room.

And after about 3 hours (at least an hour spent on that D*mn air-box! ) ...

The fender's and headlight look like they will polish up nicely.
              Anyone looking for a good harness and anything else from this L (after Craywm gets his picks) , send me a PM.

On tomorrows hit list, I will at least get the exhaust off of this one and maybe the front suspension for my '80 GS1000G "Goldy" project.

Daniel
              Last edited by Guest; 01-07-2011, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Carbs are back in and all that needs to be done is attach the throttle cable and the tank. As it turned out as much a p.i.t.a. as it was to get the carbs in between the boots and airbox it was ten times as much of a bastard to get the airbox fastening screws in. These new carbs must be slightly longer or something as it was harder than ever getting it all fitted up.

Hopefully i get it together tomorrow before i go to work tomorrow night.

Comment

Not my bike I am afraid to say, spent the most of the day putting in a new camshaft, rockers and lifters into my little BMW e30.
                  unfortunatly when it was time to statr her up afterwards....nada, bugger all.

I think in a cruel twist of fate, the fuel pump in the tank has packed up now as well.........damn, more GS rebuild money going somewhere else.
                  I am seriously starting to loose my sense of humour in a big way now.

Comment

get some surplus roll of linolium and lay on the floor under where youll be working on the bikes..cleans up real easy when the oils and fluid get in it. A few sprays of 409 or your favorite cleaner and some rags and it wipes right off.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hah thanks! Got all my electrics now! Jusgot busy with the job! Your bike is very similar to mine! Looks great!

Comment

Stripped some more parts, changed out the rear turn signals for some I bought off of Ebay in October, removed the valve cover and recorded my shim sizes (lost the recording I did in July), replaced some electrical bullet connectors with insulated blades, and wiped down the top of the transmission and what I could on the bike itself with some Simple Green and a washcloth. Anyone have ideas for cleaning oil and dirt out of the front fins besides using q-tips?

Oh yea, also helped the farrier trim the horses feet.
                        Last edited by cowboyup3371; 01-08-2011, 09:20 PM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I got my engine sidecover emblems from the big brown truck yesterday! We got dumped on by frosty the snowman last night and all day so i have not made it to the shop

All powder coating is done now except for the stator side cover. Got the swingarm done and installed and the bike really loogs good with freshly done parts!

Comment

Day three of electrical trouble shooting and I finally found the problem. The dimmer switch insides were shorting out and causing the tach and hi beam light to stay on. Now that all electrics are done, it is time to add some flair and a toggle switch.

Comment

Finished bead blasting the cylinders. Looks great. Then finished stripping the head of valves, springs, keepers, stem seals etc. The head is going to be prepped next for bead blasting. I will take my time sealing up the oil galleys and anything internal to the cams and lifters before I begin. Saved the last hour for shop clean up and actually put away all the tools after cleaning them. Swept the floor and dumped the oil drain pan into a 5 gallon can that I use for old oil.

Comment

80 gs850

still working on getting this bike to my satisifaction.carb woes now. cant wait till it warms up so i can ride. still watin on side cover for new paint job

Comment

Working...
                                X