what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucky!
    A CBX is one of those Holy Grails of bikes. I can't believe there is still honor on Craiglist. If it was me, I'd have got there to have the seller say "Well, this other guy showed up and..."

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      I saw that thing on there it was gone before I had a chance to call....so how much?
      Exactly what he asked for it!
      Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
      87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
      99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
      15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
        OH you dog! Going to make the rest of us slobs "dig" for the purchse price for a "Holy Grail" bike, now are ya?

EDIT: Allright, you win!!!!! Checked the greater Dallas area and nothing but this: http://dallas.craigslist.org/search/...cbx&srchType=A Must have pulled the ad so as not to have the phone BLOW UP!!!
        Last edited by Dave8338; 02-02-2011, 12:12 AM.

Comment

10 grand?
          Nice find, dude. Unless of course, ya actaually did give 10 grand.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

*NOT MINE!*
            I Saw these on another forum and brought them over here for you. Note the big turbo pipe on the single headlight bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
              10 grand?
              Nice find, dude. Unless of course, ya actaually did give 10 grand.
              Listed for $2500 and that's exactly what I paid for it, jwhelan can testify to that, he saw it...........briefly!
              Current stable:

Comment

Fitted the freshly braced swingarm to the bike and put on the front forks and wheels again to give it a feel.

Comment

...So I'm sitting here on the computer today and around noon, what pops up? A 1979 Honda CBX! I have been looking for one of these FOREVER, and this one looked decent and the price was reasonable, thank God the guy had his phone number in the ad and I was the first person to call him! We talked about the bike for about 20 minutes or so, it was owned by a gentlemen that was the original owner who bought he bike off the showroom floor in 1980 at the at of 18. It was his first and only street bike, he loved the bike and road it for about 20 years, before dying of cancer in 2002. ...
                  A great story.
                  > You bought your dream bike.
                  > Mom gets to know that her son's bike will be treasured for decades to come
                  > She held to the original price.

There is still honor in the world. I had a similar experience of a seller holding to a price when higher offers were coming in. Not a dream bike, a 1995 Mazda Protege. Advertised for $1100, which was in the Kelly Blue Book range for that model and mileage. I was the first caller, and had to drive 40 miles to see it. While I was checking it out, the guy was taking calls, some offering more money for it, site unseen. After the test drive, I told him I'd buy it, but needed to go back to get the cash, and get my sister to drive me over. So that was another 2 hours. But he held to his price despite higher offers.

And one final thing: Good luck seems to strike the prepared man. And you were prepared.
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I'm always prepared! I have a couple grand "slush fund" always sitting around the house, just for times like these. I can tell you story after story about bike deals like this that ONLY HAPPENED, because I had the money on hand and the trailer hooked up and GONE in 5 minutes! Gotta be Johnny on the spot to get the great deals on Craigslist, that's for sure!
                    Current stable:

Comment

I'm always prepared! I have a couple grand "slush fund" always sitting around the house, just for times like these. I can tell you story after story about bike deals like this that ONLY HAPPENED, because I had the money on hand and the trailer hooked up and GONE in 5 minutes! Gotta be Johnny on the spot to get the great deals on Craigslist, that's for sure!
                      Bought a Z1000Mk.II with only a couple of owners and low miles the same way. Was on the phone the second it came up and in the car a few minutes after.

Problem: it was a 8 hour drive - one way.

Managed to get it home safe though.

By the way: great story. Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
                        *NOT MINE!*
                        I Saw these on another forum and brought them over here for you. Note the big turbo pipe on the single headlight bike..
                        Awesome, thanks for posting. A stock CBX is a visual treat as it is, but these upgraded versions are really cool.....the turbo-ed one probably goes like hell, but lots of nice mods on the other one....single-side swing arm & what looks like a NR750-style tail.
                        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

What did I wrench on today ... ?

<heavy sigh>
                          snowthrower ..... snowthrower, again.

put on an electric starter motor...
                          and broke the recoil mechanism in the processes, so left that off 'till I can get those parts.

(have been working an out-of-town job, and wife could not start the snowthrower)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welding Booth

Its not a bike but its something for the bike later. Last night i put together a welding booth for my new little welder. And I laid down my first welds last night. Had to weld something together so I welded a nail to my learning plate.

my booth with helmet for size comparison.

home made vent system worked like a charm.

here is my little DC Arc Welder from HF.

and here is my welds as pitiful as they are.

But that is what i did last night.

I only wish I had a snow blower.... All I gots is the old shovel.

Paul

Comment

Redneck, I like the exhaust system!
                              Turn up the heat a little and keep practicing on the welds.
                              You'll get it in no time.

Daniel

Comment

I'm trying to remove the tire from the rear wheel. The clamps that made a fast job of removing the front tire from the wheel won't touch the rear tire. I eventually cut the tread off with a utility knife. The rubber is very hard, and almost acts as if it were epoxied to the wheel.

So I made a device to try to push the bead off with bolts. Two pieces of wood, 1x3x6" on either side of the tire, connects by 6" x 1/4" bolts. Using another bolt through one of the wood pieces to press against the sidewall remnant, just above the bead. The bead moves, but the bolt penetrates the rubber first! Next step is to find something to spread the force out, between the bolt and the rubber, to prevent puncture. Photos will eventually follow.

This is one where I would have been smart to pay a shop to do it with professional equipment.
                                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                                X