what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
    ...and I won't be able to get it completely together until next Wednesday due to waiting on the parts deliveries.
    I'll have it all cleaned up and ready to re-install anyway when all the parts arrive.
    So, was it the injection pump as you suspected

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
      So, was it the injection pump as you suspected
      That it was. I had 10 years and 135k miles on it (the pump) and was hoping for more, y'know, like 200k, but that's unheard of with these electronic pumps that they put in the valley between the heads. The average useable life of these things is 100k mi, and I beat that at least, and found a rebuilder in San Diego that sells them for $595.00 instead of $1200.

Comment

Well this was last night, but I didn't get around to updating this thread til now...

My Athena valve cover gasket from the gasket set don't fit

Yeah yeah I know it's Athena, but us 450 guys can't buy a complete new gasket set any more... I will endeavour to go get a OEM gasket for this now though to complement my OEM base gasket (didn't use Athena on the bottom end). I also emailed the guy I bought the set from so we'll see what he says, but given it was months ago I don't expect much...

I also got the carbs together, but they need some cosmetic work at some point. The shiny new stainless allen heads make them look quite bad...

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Took the BMW forks back apart to shorten the spacer...
          I didn't like the sag I had with the new springs...
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Fixed the drivers window motor on my tin top, now I can open the window again.

Then finally, after the longest time got to work on Jennifer for a change, she is still stripped and in boxes, so today I stripped all the bits off the frame to get the stuff that needs doing down to the powder coaters, hopefully this week sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
              Took the BMW forks back apart to shorten the spacer...
              I didn't like the sag I had with the new springs...
              Which springs, Bob? How long are the spacers?

I'm looking into a set of Progressives for the front of the 850. Want to make sure I'm not throwing money down a fork tube...

Comment

Straightened the tail piece on the GS1000 by replacing the bolts and washers and lining it up right. Boy was it annoying me when it looked crooked.

Played with valve clearances and Steve's wonderful spreadsheet.

Comment

Didn't work on anything today but I have something to have to do after riding this afternoon. My 25 year old clutch cable finally gave up the ghost so I had to ride the last 4 or 5 miles home clutchless. Time to order a cable.
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2011, 10:33 PM.

Comment

The RAT-KAT... El G.

Comment

Progressive Springs

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post

I'm looking into a set of Progressives for the front of the 850. Want to make sure I'm not throwing money down a fork tube...
                      The progressives are money well spent. I put them in my 850 a year ago. The only thing I would change is to use a longer spacer. I used a 1 3/4" spacer. When I change the fork oil next time I will go with a 2" or 2 1/4" spacer. They improve the ride and the handling.
                      80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

finished my LED taillight

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post

Got a set of linear springs from Sonic Springs...not the same as progressives...
                          bwringer used a set in his 850 with good results... Thread here

The BMW is a different animal the way the forks go together...and the Sonic springs needed a little work to go in.
                          I shorted the spacer another 1/4" to get to the 30-35mm sag that sonic recommends.

Originally posted by Bill C. View Post
                          The progressives are money well spent. I put them in my 850 a year ago. The only thing I would change is to use a longer spacer. I used a 1 3/4" spacer. When I change the fork oil next time I will go with a 2" or 2 1/4" spacer. They improve the ride and the handling.
                          I have progressives in my 1100E and they are very nice compared to stock...
                          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Just replaced my carb intake boots and fixed the PO's botched job with some new o-rings. The PO used some sort of silicone to seal the intake boots to the head so I can only imagine how many leaks there were.

Rebuilt the carbs a few weeks ago so tonight Im going to vac sync them but for right now.....TIME TO RIDE!!

Comment

Repainted the sidecovers and installed new emblems and stickers on them:

Comment

Originally posted by DaKyy View Post
                                Repainted the sidecovers and installed new emblems and stickers on them:
                                Is that for your 3 sided 750?

Comment

Working...
                                X