No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday I wrapped frame with nylon webbing to protect the powder coating. I had the webbing laying around and used blue painters tape to hold it in place. I'm sure you could substitute other thin items like an old leather belt or bubble wrap or you could try and be careful and skip the wrap. I'm not that good. Frame is sitting on Pit Bull Rear stand and jack stands in front, again wrapped in rags.

Used cherry picker in back of photo to reinstall engine by myself with advice from Cavehampster. No nicks or dings to the finish. Will leave wrap on for a while till I get engine started and make sure everything is right. Note "No Oil" warning from engine builder. Can't be too safe.

Reinstalled forks and instruments after throwing in some new fork oil. Used a mix of 5 and 10 wt oil to create a 7.5 wt. Old oil looked surprisingly good for having 7000 miles.

Reinstalled powder coated wheel and old fender. Debating whether to use six pot of four pot calipers. Will probably start with sixes and new fluid and see if I can get feel right with proper bleeding. The four pots are really all you need and have fantastic feel. I replaced the old rotors which were worn close to limits and could have been affecting feel. Those are EBC Pro-Lites. I hope they work all right they don't look as rugged as the stock units.

Want to make a big push at completing install of new wiring harness tomorrow.

Comment

Back when we were road racing the GSXRs, the 4 piston Nissin calipers were hands down better working than the 6 piston Tokicos. I know this as fact for as soon as we could get a pair we tried them to compare & the Nissins were just a lot better. Ray.

Comment

Well as always bringing up the rear on my build...yanked the covers for polishing, pulled the valve cover for valve adjustment. Engine all stripped, cleaned up and ready for paint

Comment

Finally found the time to finish up painting the caliper I pulled off. Used VHT Caliper Paint, in satin black. Didn't turn out too bad. Pretty enough for me, considering it's my first shot at painting anything, ever. Baked it for a few hours in my makeshift oven, two space heaters and a foil-lined computer case. Got the other side's caliper stripped, as well as the master cylinder and the brake lever. Going to see if I can get them painted tomorrow. Got my clutch hub back from APE today, along with all my new clutch bits. Assembled and disassembled it a few times to get a good feel for how it all works together.

Also painted my headlight bucket, and used a little Mothers chrome polish on the trim ring. Shot it with VHT Wrinkle Finish. Got all the electrical stuff jammed back into the bucket. Headlight's back on after a month. Turned out great, I think. Starting to look more like a motorcycle again, with the headlight on.

Comment

No pictures but today I went to the dragstrip to help a friend & got his bike to go from a best of 8.47 @ 154 at this track to an 8.34 @ 159.74! Ray.

Comment

Put Progressive front springs front and rear on my VMAX, a project I've been putting off for TOO long. Went for a ride with my buddy who took my ZL1000 and even though the big Eliminator SOUNDS better with those Supertrapps, the Max is still King! Oh, and handles better now too!
              Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
              87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
              99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
              15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

tore this apart.............

and did a valve adjustment on this....

Comment

Finally got around to checking the valve adjustment. Guess what? All at less than .003. Had to order new ones, as the local shop doesn't stock 29 MM diameter shims. Grrr Now my bike languishes until new parts arrive.

Comment

forks seals.... no special tool just impact the bottom worked great glad i consulted the formun otherwise the shop was gonna charge 60 bones after i had forks off bike and not includingt he seals and wiper i had already

Comment

Added spacers to front forks since air no longer is functional. Cranked up the rear suspension, rides much better now

Comment

tinkered with carbs again still cant figure it out i guess im screwed for the new york bike rally next month

Comment

Sandblasted the exhaust on my 1971 SL100 in preparation for paint and reinstall. I've overhauled the motor and that's done so now various parts are just getting cleaned up and reinstalled.

Also, disassembled the used forks I picked up for my son's '82 Honda FT500 Ascot. He crashed it a month or so ago and bent the fork tubes. Smashed headlight & gauge cluster but no other damage. He suffered bumps and bruises but no real damage either.

Gotta get both those projects done before I can start on my '85 GS700E that I picked up a few weeks ago (which brought me to this forum in the first place).

Kirk

Comment

Finished up installing the rear end.

Comment

Made a trip down to Buffalo,MN today and helped out a fellow GS'r with his carbs and some electric...always nice to meet fellow members face to face...Motorcyclist's are the greatest people!

DDM

Comment

Did my valves today and goin to need more shims, doggone it!
                                What I started with; Cyl 1 intake, less than .002, exhaust the same.
                                Cyl 2 intake, less than .002, exhaust same.
                                Cyl 3, same as one and two.
                                Cyl 4, same as 1, 2, 3.

What I wound up with after going down .05 on every shim;
                                Cyl 1,int. .003, ex .003 acceptable, barely
                                Cyl 2,int. .003, ex less than .002. not acceptable.
                                Cyl 3,int. .002, tight as allowable, not acceptable.
                                ex less than .002, not acceptable.
                                Cyl 4,int. .003, ex .004 acceptable

Fortunately, the 2.60 shim in cyl 3 intake is the next step down from the 2.65 in cyl 2 exhaust, so I should just need two 2.55 shims (I hope) to get livable tolerances, and since two of the shims I ordered were 2.55, and the dealership had to order five at a time, they'll have them in stock still.
                                No wonder cylinder 3 hasn't been firing, I'm surprised cylinder 2 was.
                                Bummer is, dealership not open Monday, so now I'm down till Tuesday (maybe Wednesday)

Wish this thing had setscreww / locknut type adjusters, like my last bike, so much less frustrating not to need shims to get perfect clearance (which you can't get with shims)
                                Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2010, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X