what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    I didnt accomplish a damned thing today except to drive myself to a massive headache trying to understand the onslaught of info that everyone was trying to give me on my carbs..I know they all meant well,but its all a foreign language to me. At one point i actualy picked up a 2 LB sledge and was gonna smash every bike i got into oblivion..They just PIZZ me oof to the point i literally cant think. And i amn ot lying here..Carbs and electrical drive me to a state of being psychotically angry.
    To understand them, a person must invest dozens of hours studying them, from first principles. Unless a person understands the basics really well, frustration is the likely outcome. In that case, it is best to just follow instructions and try to bring everything back to stock condition.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Tom..Herein lies the problem...from my end i dont understand the terms people are throwing at me. I can read all about nuclear fusion nor fision and the differences and their respective uses and pros and cons..If i havent been in a hands on situation it really doesntbmean crap to me.. I am wired to have it shown to me right in front of me and then get my hands in it with you..Thats about the only way i can describe it. I just literally cant friggin figure it out!! And then theres the what i call "**** house or arm chair" mechanics that chimein and havent really done them themselves and add a comment like this.." i read that..." I am gonna replace ALL the jets and needles in these carbs and then it will go to the dealership and they can deal with it. If i cant get an actual person to come to my house and actually TEACH me and not PREACH to me then thats another story. I put a thread out called I need a mechanic. So far noone has ofered.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yesterday: Tried to install a 12v adapter, but forgot my wiring tools at the old place, so I had to get someone to pump up my leaky front tire(I'm going to call around some tire place and see who works on bikes).
        Then I got to get out and ride for a few hours! I first went to a large parking lot to work on my turning. It came right to me. So after some practice I tore it up around town. 40 on a bike feels so much faster! I 'gunned' it at a light and felt like I was going way fast. Then an elderly couple passed me and I saw I was going 5 under.
        This weekend is some more biking and installed the 12v adapter.
        Then one of these days I need to figure out why my battery doesn't get charged. I'm afraid its the stator. So that means I get to replace that while cleaning my carbs. And trying to troubleshoot why I can't stay in 3rd gear. I'm afraid I need to rebuild my tranny this spring(Along with cleaning the carbs.) I have a lot of research to do.

Comment

Tacked up the new link pipe for the exhaust and made sure it fit like I wanted it to. Now all I gotta do is weld it all up.

Comment

Comment

First 70 degree day and it was even sunny! So I painted the frame thats been patiently waiting.

Comment

Stripped my carbs down, found out a screen is missing from one needle seat, and will have to go buy a bigger pot to boil them. Hope to paint them on Saturday.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Carb clean 2003 Trx350te, finally got a chance to reassemble tune and test the XVS11 that the drillbit attacked me on. Tested and field stripped beretta 92fs. Detail strip tomorrow.

Comment

Installed a Zero Gravity touring screen on my 2001 FZ1, but didn't get a chance to test ride it. Will be getting my '79 GS850 out of winter storage Saturday for a little riding if the weather holds, then do some case polishing. Thank God spring is almost here!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Tom..Herein lies the problem...from my end i dont understand the terms people are throwing at me. I can read all about nuclear fusion nor fision and the differences and their respective uses and pros and cons..If i havent been in a hands on situation it really doesntbmean crap to me.. I am wired to have it shown to me right in front of me and then get my hands in it with you..Thats about the only way i can describe it. I just literally cant friggin figure it out!! And then theres the what i call "**** house or arm chair" mechanics that chimein and havent really done them themselves and add a comment like this.." i read that..." I am gonna replace ALL the jets and needles in these carbs and then it will go to the dealership and they can deal with it. If i cant get an actual person to come to my house and actually TEACH me and not PREACH to me then thats another story. I put a thread out called I need a mechanic. So far noone has ofered.
                      I believe that I recall the "I Need a Mechanic" thread. Comes at least several times per year, and most responses say, "Learn to do it yourself". A big problem with electricity and carbs is that, to troubleshoot, a person must deal with things that are invisible.

Dealing with abstractions just isn't for everyone. There are GSers in the Austin area. Someone there has to be good enough with carbs to lend you a hand.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

carbs arent hard, just take every little screw apart and soak all the parts over night in a solution, put em back together in spec, adjust mixtures as you go
                        Originally posted by tkent02
                        That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
                        John 3:16

Comment

Last night and today (and next few days) Following the "carb cleaning" tutorial step-by-step (for the first one anyway).

Really isn't much more than what I have done before, other than now have the carbs apart from the rack.

1st one out of the dip.

Last edited by Redman; 03-19-2011, 01:13 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Being a public holiday here today, I got to spend it in heaven, working on Jennifer, but alas, it is going very slowly
                            Pulled the head and barrels today, first time they have been off in her 30 years and 375 000km.
                            Full details on my build thread, "Jennifer's Makeover"

Comment

Got my vibranator bar weights installed along with my D3 grips and finally pulled and painted the rear wheel. And now there's rain and possibly snow three days ago 70degrees Mother nature is a cruel temptress

Comment

organized my toolboxes, that's about it, that is until the rain and funnel cloud came in( that's right, funnel cloud, it dropped 5 miles northeast of town. Watched it from the shop doors).

Comment

Working...
                                X