what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting her ready for summer

Today I wrenched on my 85 700e . installed new rear brake pads . Went to put on my new throttle pod and damn identical parts except the wire harness on the one I bought off gsr was only half as long as my original .All I actually needed was the run off switch from the new one so out comes the solder gun took out the good switch and soldered it into my original pod all worked out fine in the end . The member I bought it from said it was from an 83 750 (the price was dirt cheap) . So the earlier bikes must have had the shorter harness all the other parts are the same . I also pulled and drained my tank I have a tank restore kit coming from por15 it needs it badly . I found some kind of solid mass of bs in the tank I fished it out thru the hole for the sending unit cant tell if its whats left of a failed liner or some kinda pour in sealer I do know I am glad I found it and got it out . The final thing I did was scout a location for my 12v output port needed for radar detector probably wire that up tomorrow weather permitting

Comment

Fired my 450 up for the first time since the rebuild, but not good as per here:

Place your 2 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

I'm probably missing the most obviously stupid thing, but something ain't right... I do have some spark at least and it does actually sort of run, just not well...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Did a bit of chrome polishing on the pipes on the 79 Cooley and rechecked the timing. I took the red aftermatket coils off and put the stock black lead ones on.
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-09-2011, 07:02 PM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I helped a friend of mine install his new custom hard bags on his Suzuki C50, then I came home and me and my brother in law put the oem exhaust back on my 80 GS1000G. After putting it on, I started my bike after a six month sleep and the two inner headers were leaking badly coming out of the head. Discovered I installed the half moons backwards. Got me a classic case of burn wrist for my mistake. Installed my newly painted rear wheel. Waiting on my rear brake pads from Z1 and she is ready to roll.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
            So, it will be running Sunday afternoon?
            Don't forget to take some videos.
            Daniel
            What bwringer does not realize is that I plan to chain him to the frame until the engine is running. Hehe.

Comment

I put together a piston pin puller out of some readi-rod, and a few proper-sized washers and bolts, and removed the pistons from the con rods on the 850. Carbon build-up wasn't too bad, but it was the right way to go about cleaning up the rings lands prior to installing the new rings.

Obviously, it was the first time the pistons had been off the motor (thus the requirement for the puller), but all went back together smoothly, with no persuading. New circlips popped back in.

Then my neighbour and I spent far too much time putting the cylinders back on the engine......used hose clamps as ring compressors, worked pretty good, but make sure you have them tight enough. After much deliberation, and quizing several engine rebuilders, put it back together with a bit of oil on the cylinder walls...cross-hatching went well, rings should have enough tooth to seat in. The rest of the top end will go back together later this weekend, unless some other entertainment pops up.....

Comment

I took my windshield off my 850 and in the process of fooling with the headlight assembly my left turn signal doesn't work. Loose wire I am guessing...

Comment

installed carbs on turbo seca and fired it up for the first time......... Found oil leak at exhaust collector. Maybe a bad turbo oil seal or check valve.

Comment

Worked on a ton of things today... but got hung up. The 850 airbox has the wrong boots, looks like its for smaller carbs.

Anyone have boots for an 850? I can measure the carbs to verify tomorrow.

Comment

flushing brakes, now my hand hurts. at least all the yucky old fluid it gone. tomorrow carb cleaning.

Comment

Like Skateguy, I turned out alot of finished product today...see my projects thread.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Discovered my GS650G seat off eBay won't suit what I want, but the only thing I achieved today was the attached.

I'm never doing that again.

sigpic

Comment

But at least it looks good and you don't have to do any dishes by hand right?
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                              But at least it looks good and you don't have to do any dishes by hand right?
                              But at least it looks good and you don't have to do any PARTS by hand right?
                              There fixed it for ya.
                              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Hahahahah I like it... but no dishes by hand is right... I would be missing some critical items from my body if I was to put parts in there

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X