what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post
    Installed an E-model seat that I got from Ebay and replaced a broken headlight bucket with one that I bought here from 7981GS.

That is a beautiful bike! It is even that beautiful one year blue color! SWEET!
    I will be painting one of my 1000's that color some day.

Daniel

Comment

Okay guys, don't turn green with envy. I have forgone working on the bike today while waiting on some parts, so I started a restoration project of a 1967 Buick Wildcat. mostly trying to remove the front clip and then pull the engine.

Wish me luck.

Comment

Sweet. I remember those Wildcats well. Does it have the 430? Hardtop or vert?

I installed one of those 3 LED voltmeters on the GS today. Absolutely kool, and it takes up very little real estate. Me likey.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          Sweet. I remember those Wildcats well. Does it have the 430? Hardtop or vert?
          I just started tearing into it, I believe it has the 430 and it's the hardtop coupe. Massive body work due for it.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2011, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
            That is a beautiful bike! It is even that beautiful one year blue color! SWEET!
            I will be painting one of my 1000's that color some day.

Daniel
            Why thank you! I wasn't a huge fan of the color at first, but I've grown to really like it. Unfortunately it's starting to show its age and will need to be repainted soon. The tank will anyway - the paint on the plastics is actually still in really good condition.

I'll probably end up having to do it myself and I don't think I'll be able to do that color justice, so I will most likely have to go with something more "forgiving".

Comment

Well I finally did something tonight!

Got my new to me rear mudguard and CB360 tail light mounted up on to the 450.

Need to slim the guard somewhat and trim it at the front, but at least it's a goer now:

Also means I don't need to relocate the indicators either.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Changed out the oil level sight glass last night, refilled it with oil and rode into work today. Not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. The longest part to the whole job was scraping off the old clutch cover gasket (used 400 grit paper).
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

TRoday was add horns to the 78 1000 C so it will pass this ridiculous money grab annual inspection Texas has in place. I also replaced the fuel line since the tank was already off. Then i used the Suzuki engine degreaser and got the Cooley engine degreased after replacing the leaking cam cover gasket. Since the power washer was already hooked up, the ( new to me ) 99 Durrango got a bath and under hood washing as well.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The wrenching gods were not in my favor today. I tried to track down the source of why the ignition stays on and drains the battery when the keys aren't even in it. In so doing I removed the following: gas tank, battery, side covers, air filter and air box. Couldn't figure out what the problem is, but I'm horrible with electronics.

Oh, and all this started because I installed a new tach cable, which still didn't fix my tachometer.

Comment

Cleaned the carb bodies for the 76 Honda CB 750 A Hondamatic.. They have been thru the Berrymans and i am waiting on the rebuild kits...
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I polished up the ol' bright works and replaced my busted tach cable. I'm itching to start diggin in hard though and going through the mega-welcome check list. :P I've got a whole week off from work coming up. If I don't get something worthwhile done then, I NEVER will.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post
                          The wrenching gods were not in my favor today. I tried to track down the source of why the ignition stays on and drains the battery when the keys aren't even in it. In so doing I removed the following: gas tank, battery, side covers, air filter and air box. Couldn't figure out what the problem is, but I'm horrible with electronics.

Oh, and all this started because I installed a new tach cable, which still didn't fix my tachometer.
                          Check the wiring in the headlight bucket. and the ignition switch, etc.

Comment

polish, buff,polish, buff,polish, buff...UGH!

assembled /installed fork assembly/trees on my 1100 project. seems like I been polishing my front mag wheel all day. The dremel is the way to go, cept I burned up all my polishing pads for it. These GS wheels suck to polish ! I got it down now tho.

Comment

Re-tapped a bunch of destroyed threaded holes in the '63 Panhead and got the new lifters installed
                              with all of the missing clips/spacers that the previous engine builder left out!!!

And removed the seized case studs. Replaced with new grade 8's.
                              Lot's of red and blue Lok-tite going into this "Paint Shaker."

Daniel
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2011, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Regulator/Rectfirer replace

Last week out of the blue my battery on my 1982 GS850G went dead. Of all places for it to die it happened at an auto repair shop, which is a good thing I guess. The proprietor gave me a jump and then did a quick check of the charging system and told me it seemed to be charging a little low. When I got the bike home I logged on to gs resourses (after re-registering) researched the problem ran the diagnostic checks and determined that the R/R was not regulating. Purchased a new R/R from Electrosport installed the new R/R and all is good again. Or at least as good as an almost 30yr old bike can get. I count on my Suzuki to get me to work since gas prices have spiked this summer. I have to thank GS resources for being there. This is not the first time I've had to utilize this site to troubleshoot and diagnose a problem and sucessfully repair my bike. Thanks GS resources. I also happened to notice the post about making a contribution to the site, which I HAPPILY did.

Comment

Working...
                                X