what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete View Post
    I did some learn how to stick weld stuff yesterday and did the first tack on my duck tail, but the pic's are far too embarrassing to put in this thread

I'm a crappy welder, but it's my first effort so that's some sort of excuse anyway... haha
    All it takes is PRACTICE! Get some scraps of various thickness from a local metal shop and have at it. You will lean the max amps needed without blowing a hole in your work. Stick welding is a lost art, keep at it. Too much splatter means hold your rod closer. I don't mean to sound like a pro, cripe it has been so long for me I would need a refesher before doing something important. Wire welder (MIG) has me spoiled .
    Last thing I tried to learn was to TIG the aluminum seat pan on the "Lil Sister" CB. Hey, it holds with my spindley butt on it so I am happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
      All it takes is PRACTICE! Get some scraps of various thickness from a local metal shop and have at it. You will lean the max amps needed without blowing a hole in your work. Stick welding is a lost art, keep at it. Too much splatter means hold your rod closer. I don't mean to sound like a pro, cripe it has been so long for me I would need a refesher before doing something important. Wire welder (MIG) has me spoiled .
      Last thing I tried to learn was to TIG the aluminum seat pan on the "Lil Sister" CB. Hey, it holds with my spindley butt on it so I am happy.
      Cool, thanks for that. John82q loaned me his "art of welding" book which helped a lot, it's now just exactly as you say... practise. I haven't blown any holes yet (touch wood) but I did get the electrode stuck a few times.

The splatter stuff makes sense as I did work out I wasn't moving my hand in towards the work as I was doing the runs and the electrode was shrinking.

I'm not too concerned about perfect welding just yet, mainly I'm trying to get my tacks ok for my immediate need, then as other things crop up I can get better.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I'd like to learn to weld, but the welders are too expensive for something I might suck at anyway.

Comment

I spent the last week sealing up my air box, cleaning and painting my carbs and scrubbing odd bits of dirt and rust off the frame. Waiting on new rubbers for the carbs and I should be able to slap it all back in. Then I get to try my hand at setting clearances on my valves and syncing the carbs. I feel like I've done so much but have so far to go yet. I've been waiting on stuff from FedEx for like 12 days now. It better be here tomorrow or I'm going to go ballistic on someone.

Comment

Spent the last week and weekend wrenching on my T/A. Took frustration breaks by riding my GS around, just for fun. Woohoo!

Comment

Mcneilk, did you have to rejet for the 4 2 1 pipe on the honda? I have the same model with rusted out stock exhaust and have been thinking of adding a different pipe. It's my understanding that those carbs do not like pods though.

Nice looking bikes btw

Comment

Been at work for the last 2 weeks, (14 on 14 off) so no time to work on the scoots. I did however pick this up and will be taking delivery next week.

Like Jwhelan said,
                Looks like A$$...
                , I'm not 100% on what to do with it just yet. Probably restoration, I hate to break a GS down if I don't have to.

The wheels are period Akront, looks to be missing the airbox, but I'm sure I can find another!

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS750 View Post
                  Been at work for the last 2 weeks, (14 on 14 off) so no time to work on the scoots. I did however pick this up and will be taking delivery next week.

Like Jwhelan said, , I'm not 100% on what to do with it just yet. Probably restoration, I hate to break a GS down if I don't have to.

The wheels are period Akront, looks to be missing the airbox, but I'm sure I can find another!
                  I think under that skin of dust, you got a beauty, I am really getting an eye for these models. Gotta get one. Very nice addition to your GS addiction.lol

Comment

I could only look at my newly registered bike since on the way back from inspection I broke the tail light lens in the truck bed. No brake light, no riding. Luckily its been raining all weekend. Got home from work today and got my new brake light assembly I ordered from ebay on Friday. Now you would think I could just slap it on but since I broke one of the points to secure the lens I had to replace the whole assembly. With the seat taken off and tracing back some wires I got it all together without having to cut wires. It took me about an hour but I'm now street legal.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                      I think under that skin of dust, you got a beauty, I am really getting an eye for these models. Gotta get one. Very nice addition to your GS addiction.lol
                      I love 'em, I'm not going to go crazy with it like I did the 750, (lots of GSXR parts). Just going to clean it up, repair what needs it, and enjoy. I really love the 1100's wish it were an 1150 though! I think it looks bad due to the dust, seat, and body panels not attached properly.

Comment

Welded up my new duck tail frame, and man do I suck at welding! It holds together at least...

Also POR 15'd the tank today too, I believe I followed the instructions to the T, so fingers crossed it's all good and curing away properly...

sigpic

Comment

Loud engine tapping, pull the head cover off to find a valve lock nut was missing.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2011, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
                            Loud engine tapping, pull the head cover off to find a valve lock nut was missing... not a fun day.
                            Aaaarrrgh! Did you miss it putting it back together or just not torqued up right?

sigpic

Comment

New chain and sprockets as the old one was ROACHED! All rusted up and many orings missing off the chain! Worked with Mike at Z1 got me both sprockets, chain, and small can of chain oil for less than $170. Not too bad!

Comment

Haven't put anything on here in a couple of days, but the fibreglass is on the duck tail frame, just waiting for it to cure so I can trim it back:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X