what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck c View Post
    getting ready to do oil change. absent-mindedly grabbed the front exhaust pipe. i have 2nd deg burns on the contact surfaces of all 5 fingers of my left hand.
    I'd be willing to bet you won't ever do that again!
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Now the fun begins

From this.

To this.

I plumbed my 1 HP compressor to my 60 gallon compressor to get a little longer run time for my cutoff wheel and to check the new (to me) 60 gallon compressor for leaks. I found a few, which were repaired and plumed in a ball valve shutoff while I was at it. Now it's time to drag the pieces around to the driveway so I can cut the welds apart in preparation for some new steel.

It's been a whole lot of work getting it this far and there's going be a whole lot more until it's back together.
      Last edited by rustybronco; 06-12-2013, 09:56 AM.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
        I'd be willing to bet you won't ever do that again!
        at least not with all 5 at once, I hope

Comment

the day wasn't a total loss. before the header mishap, i did get new turn signals relocated on the wife's bike and the saddlebags on. the day wasn't a total loss but no riding for a few days until i can use the clutch again.

Comment

Ended up painting a final coat of colour on my fridge, despite the cold weather.

Heated up the garage and then did clear coat later the afternoon.

Buffing and assembly this coming weekend.

Then finish packing for the move...

Comment

Got the Motad exhaust on my GSX400. Got it running but will still needs to be jetted. Have some weird electical stuff to fix...

Comment

Had "fun" yesterday putting the stock rear mudguard and tail light on so I can get the damaged bits repaired/replaced.

Didn't quite fit with my tail piece so I had to trim the top corners a bit:

Ugh, horrid... but keeps me riding in the meantime:

I also discovered the nuts on the bottom of the left fork leg were left loose by the tyre shop the other day... I rode 60 odd km's with them loose!!!! No wonder something didn't feel right... I thought it was just new/different tyres Nice and tight now...

They also adjusted my rear brake pedal so much that it didn't turn the light on any more and they also left the bolt on the drum arm loose... so I fixed those things as well...

I'll be calling them today to express my displeasure...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Pretrip checks today. Got the fork seals cleaned with the tool as described in the tips and tricks section. New fork oil and checked the head bearings for play.

All is good and will change the oil right before I leave. Man i SO SO need this vacation time!!!
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Pretrip checks today. . Man i SO SO need this vacation time!!!
                    Where to? Did I miss a travel thread somewhere?
                    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                    __________________________________________________ ______________________
                    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

One of our members Matt ( Stahlgrau333 ) is up in Norman Oklahoma.

He bought my 82 1100 GL a few years back and we have been thick as thieves since. I am going up to help him abit, see what the tornado did, and then saturday is his birthday party.

One of the littler twisters that didnt make national headlines actually came down within 1/4 mile of his moms house. He told me he was looking right up at the bottom of one as they were closing the storm shelter doors.

I plan on maybe helping him at his moms place if thats what he wants to do. I am leaving out the morning of the 20th. Its about a 350 mile trip up to Matts place. will be taking the 77 750 for this one. Luggage rack on the back for the duffle and the trip bag on the back of the backrest for many spare waters. Must do frequent stops under some overpass shade to rehydrate in this heat!!!
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Today I took my 78 gs 750 apart from mock up and cleaned up the major rust on the frame, and then took the frame rear wheel and swinger to the car wash. 2 dollars later and some simple green my parts are spot less and ready for my steering bearings that should come tomarrow and some shinny black paint for the frame.

Comment

1980 gs550l

Well I Finlay got the crab rebuilt and figured out I need a new control for the turn signals, I picked up my mounted tires with new bearings, "an extra $230" on top of the tires" damn bike shop. All I need now is to rebuild the breaks and mount the weeks.... maybe next week.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                            Had "fun" yesterday putting the stock rear mudguard and tail light on so I can get the damaged bits repaired/replaced.

Didn't quite fit with my tail piece so I had to trim the top corners a bit:

Ugh, horrid... but keeps me riding in the meantime:

I also discovered the nuts on the bottom of the left fork leg were left loose by the tyre shop the other day... I rode 60 odd km's with them loose!!!! No wonder something didn't feel right... I thought it was just new/different tyres Nice and tight now...

They also adjusted my rear brake pedal so much that it didn't turn the light on any more and they also left the bolt on the drum arm loose... so I fixed those things as well...

b*ggrs,eh? that'll learn ye... but the tire look pretty cool- report back, Pete! Senor Pirelli does go for interesting tread designs doesn't he...

Comment

Changed the oil in my car yesterday. When setting up, I found the gasket for the drain plug in my drain pan. That explains the oily spot in the driveway, and why the oil level dropped since the last oil change. I escaped a potential big problem this time!
                              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post

That sort of thing is exactly why I quit taking any bike to a bike shop/dealer. The final straw was when a dealer mounted a new rear tire on the bike. The wife dropped me off at the dealership to pick up the bike and as soon as I pulled out of the parking lot and turned onto the street, the rear wheel went sideways and wedged against the swing arm. Damn near splattered myself with that one. The shop had neglected to install the axle nut on the rear axle. Never again!!
                                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                                X