No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find a 12-point socket that fits tight be it metric or SAE.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      None of my 4 spark plug sockets were 18 mm, so had to get one.
      And that not work, was to thick of sidewall for what little clearance there was around the spark plug. Had multi-day adventure at various part stores and even Harbor Fright. Did find deep well socket at Menards that looked like thiner sidewall (but not specified as such), and that worked.

Next step was to remove the 4 valve clearance adjusmnet covers, 8mm bolt heads with awkward access. Was what looked like an air breather tube in the way, so thought I would remove that, and had coolant flowing all over -DOAH!
      THen rounded off 2 of the bolts. But then took off more stuff than the manual suggested to get some some better access. Cut slots in them with hacksaw blade. THen used hammer impact to get out the bolts.

Got the inspection covers off
      TO find like this (two intake valves operated by one cam/rocker)

With a box end wrench with offset can operate the lock nut, but not finding anything to operate that square part of the adjustment. Supose could use cressent wrench, but would rather have a socket.
      THink I can find anything like that at tool store..?
      Measures 4mm with caliper.
      If you have a full set of metric ignition wrenches, the tiny one will fit the square head. That is what I used for years until I order a set (it is a set of 3 different sizes that can be interchanged with each other) of valve lash adjusting tools from Dennis Kirk. They work really nice. I believe Z1 has them as well.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Too fiddly unless you use a breaker bar.

On the other hand a 12 point or open end wrench isn't a bad idea if you can find one.
        Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
        Find a 12-point socket that fits tight be it metric or SAE.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Preparatory to wrenching: cleared/shifted some crap around and moved the XS from the kitchen to the workshop. Some serious oil leaks from the bottom of that engine, and it's unknown territory.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Got the inspection covers off
            TO find like this (two intake valves operated by one cam/rocker)

With a box end wrench with offset can operate the lock nut, but not finding anything to operate that square part of the adjustment. Supose could use cressent wrench, but would rather have a socket.
            THink I can find anything like that at tool store..?
            Measures 4mm with caliper.
            Make your own tool.

I used a square drive wood screw with the correct size drive, screwed into a wooden dowel in a convenient length. Kind of like a screwdriver with the right tip for that adjuster. I made three or four of them in a few different lengths to better fit the different bikes. Made one that has the screw crosswise too, it worked better for one of the bikes.

Very easy to use with one hand while holding a wrench for the locknut in the other hand.

And if you happen to lose this fine quality tool you can make another in about two minutes.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Tom, Dale and others,
              Thanks.
              Will gather up a couple of those deck screws with the square drive next chance I get.

I proceeded with just using a pair of plyers and a 3/8 6point socket that would somewhat half fit (would fall inside if not carefull).
              Both exhaust and intak on rear cylinder were good, maybe closer to the 5 thou than the 4 thou and the access so bad, that I just left it.
              THe front was so tight, no wiggle at all, zero clearance. Made me think I didn't have crank on the front mark, so checked that again. Took a lot of adjustment to get the 4 thou clearance.
              Waiting for the replacement bolts, O-rings and gaskets to put back together.

Thanks again, guys.
              You should know that I got more and better responses here than I did on Honda Shadow Network forum. But of course on there not many have the 500s (only 83-86) , and on there an '06 is an old bike.

Last edited by Redman; 07-09-2014, 09:58 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

86 Honda Shadow 500 Valve Adjustment

Just photos to show what limited access there is for this.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I started yesterday on my coil and headlight relay mod's... so far I've found a location for two of the 20A micro relays I got from Eastern Beaver for the headlight and removed some dodgy wiring I did in a hurry at one point for my little dash and the Acewell clock function.

I started work on lowering my electrics tray so I have a bit more room under the seat so I can find a better spot for my indicator relay.

Once that's done I can work out where my 3 way mini fuse block can mount safely as well as the third micro relay and then I can run the wires and get it all together again.

Lesson learnt... don't take dodgy shortcuts when doing electrical work just to get your bike on the road one day earlier...

And I will have pic's too
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Well it took me all weekend on and off but after playing musical electrical components and Tetris, I got her back together Sunday night just in time to watch MotoGP.

A little bare...

Headlight relays located under the dash:

I'll probably revisit this wiring with a neater way of running them but they're just cable tied for now and working:

The new electrics tray layout... the single ground bolt is getting busy! I also got to take advantage of the SH775 and ignitor mounting points being the same. That tray is 2.5mm thick aluminium so is a nice heatsink as well:

And my other new birthday present saved my back a lot of pain and grief:

Very happy with the job and I now have a 15A fuse running the harness like stock as well as a 10A fuse for the coils and another 10A fuse for the headlights. I now have no measurable drop in voltage to either the coils or the headlights from the battery

I also managed to remove the extra fuse for the Acewell clock by running it from the harness fuse as well.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

click the pic
                      Last edited by bonanzadave; 07-18-2014, 12:12 AM.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

VERY cool. Is it actually strong enough for a fork brace or is it just for show? who cares though it looks awesome.
                          Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Finished the legs and breast and back for this lady today.

Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                              Is it actually strong enough for a fork brace or is it just for show?
                              Thats .250 plate, aircraft grade aluminum. Very strong.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                                Finished the legs and breast and back for this lady today.

That's amazing Vince, you really are a true craftsman.
                                Rob
                                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                                X