Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks.
    will look for them.
    1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
    New project 1979 GS1000S
    Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
      My fairing developed a crack right above the adjuster for the headlight. I don't know what that little hole was put there for, but this is the second one I've had crack in that spot. Last time it was irreparable though.

Id like to thank Steve for the idea of dissolving some ABS pipe pieces in acetone and making a slurry mixture. I had a roll of thick fiberglass tape used to reinforce joints in cement board which will hopefully prevent it from spreading.

I'll let it dry the rest of the day and sand it a bit to flatten it out. Maybe next time mix it a little thinner.

DAMN GOOD TIP!!! Can use that for sport bike fairings. There's also some black epoxy in the glue section of the hardware store.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I washed the truck and motorcycle last night. Then my friend came over so I washed her car too. I woke up this morning and couldn't figure out why my shoulders hurt, then I realized that's a lot of "Wax on Wax off"!
        Attached Files
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Short story:
          Paid my idiot mechanic tax today.

Long story:
          Earlier in the spring, got the kinks worked out on my GS's carbs, ran some test runs, changed the oil, and was ready for the spring. But then, it sat in the garage for a couple weeks due to rain. During that period, my wife (who is not good about checking her gas gauge) let me know that she was running on fumes and didn't have enough to get to the gas station. I siphoned a gallon out of my GS tank, and sent her on her way.
          Fast-forward to yesterday: beautiful May afternoon, I fire up the GS. Check the tank, see fuel, though the gauge is fluctuating (in its usual way) between 1/4 and 1/2 tank. I figure I have enough for a quick run, and plan to refill when I have more time.
          Out on the road, before it's fully warmed up, it starts to sputter, and dies. "I've got plenty of gas", says I, wondering if my carb demons have returned. I start it back up, and it runs, so I get started again. A few minutes later, it sputters and dies again. This time, I figure, "well, maybe I should put it on reserve". Start it up, and head back home.
          A couple hours later, I come back out to the garage, only to find gasoline dripping out of the airbox. Yep... I hadn't set it to reserve, it was on prime.
          Today, pulled the air filter (damp with gas), drained the oil (still looking pretty fresh, but smelling a little gassy), re-sealed the airbox, cleaned and re-oiled the filter, put it all back together. Refilled the tank, and gave it a good run.

Duh.
          80 GS1000GT
          Past bikes:
          82 GS750E
          92 VFR750
          85 CB650

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            What exactly did you do?
            Aircraft mechanic.
            2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
            2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              DAMN GOOD TIP!!! Can use that for sport bike fairings. There's also some black epoxy in the glue section of the hardware store.
              Good question. I've only burned a half tank of gas so far so it may be too soon to tell how good of a job I did on this, but haven't seen the crack reappear. I went down a fairly rough dirt road in Placitas, NM the other day and gave it a good rattle. So far so good.

Last night I found a sticker inside the Windjammer recommending this Hotcha repair kit. It's a bit more expensive (ahem like 33,900 times more give or take) than the scrap pipe, 1/4 cup of acetone and mesh tape I had on hand, but looks a heck of a lot stronger. If I had some irreplaceable piece of moto history I would consider that kit, but let's face it I could dredge up an unwanted Windjammer on just about any online get-rid-of-old-stuff-quickly website for half the cost of that kit.

If I do this repair again I would like to follow the steps listed in that repair more closely though. About the only prep I did was similar to gluing ABS pipe together. Clean, apply adhesive, and wait....and wait....and wait! Yeah, I put it on so thick it was soft for two days!

Since it dries so slowly, it leveled out quite nicely though. I'd definitely say to get the repair area as close to level as you can.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Spent some time figuring if I had enough parts to build another '83 cluster. I think I might.
                Had two gear position indicators, one with a melted connector, and the other with a busted tab.
                Now I have one good one. Fun little things to take apart.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                  Good question. I've only burned a half tank of gas so far so it may be too soon to tell how good of a job I did on this, but haven't seen the crack reappear. I went down a fairly rough dirt road in Placitas, NM the other day and gave it a good rattle. So far so good.

Last night I found a sticker inside the Windjammer recommending this Hotcha repair kit. It's a bit more expensive (ahem like 33,900 times more give or take) than the scrap pipe, 1/4 cup of acetone and mesh tape I had on hand, but looks a heck of a lot stronger. If I had some irreplaceable piece of moto history I would consider that kit, but let's face it I could dredge up an unwanted Windjammer on just about any online get-rid-of-old-stuff-quickly website for half the cost of that kit.

If I do this repair again I would like to follow the steps listed in that repair more closely though. About the only prep I did was similar to gluing ABS pipe together. Clean, apply adhesive, and wait....and wait....and wait! Yeah, I put it on so thick it was soft for two days!

Since it dries so slowly, it leveled out quite nicely though. I'd definitely say to get the repair area as close to level as you can.
                  Two days, wow, mo-betta use black epoxy.
                  That Hotcha-(we gotcha) repair kit, looks like mostly it's got a few pieces of aluminum flat bar, find that in the hardware store too, cut to fit yu sef…EZ.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Two days, wow, mo-betta use black epoxy.
                    That Hotcha-(we gotcha) repair kit, looks like mostly it's got a few pieces of aluminum flat bar, find that in the hardware store too, cut to fit yu sef…EZ.
                    Maybe a slight exaggeration on the dry time, but like Steve told me, don't get in a hurry with it.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Finally hooked up the charging outlet and located a spot for it. I debated on whether to install it on the fairing somewhere, but decided to clamp it on to the bars.

Also, I picked up a tail trunk for free on cracklist. I like it, but not sure if I'll make it permanent yet. The rack underneath is useful for a drybag and such, but I like the looks of the trunk, especially the bright brake light.

Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

I know the disdain that some people have for Windjammers, but on some bikes, they look really at home, and on that bike, it looks juuuust right. I've spent 1,000's of touring miles behind a Vetter, and they really do make long rides more comfortable especially in the cold and rain. It sweeps all that nasty weather aside, beautifully.
                        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Finally made a stab at fixing the broken tabs on my tail piece....
                          When I first bought this bike, back in '05, all four were broken.
                          Someone had tried to epoxy them before, but poorly, and the whole thing was held together with zip ties.

After I got the zip ties, old epoxy, peeling paint, dirt, and whatnot off the parts, I "tacked" them in place with a small amount of epoxy.
                          I carefully measured the location and angles off a good tailpiece I have (in champagne color), as the originals were missing quite a bit of material.

I laced the pieces together with some wire and spent three days building up layers of metal reinforced epoxy.

Not the prettiest thing, but I think it should hold....

Now the seat sits as it should and the tailpiece isn't rattling around.

Almost ready for Brown County....

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            Finally made a stab at fixing the broken tabs on my tail piece....
                            When I first bought this bike, back in '05, all four were broken.
                            Someone had tried to epoxy them before, but poorly, and the whole thing was held together with zip ties.

After I got the zip ties, old epoxy, peeling paint, dirt, and whatnot off the parts, I "tacked" them in place with a small amount of epoxy.
                            I carefully measured the location and angles off a good tailpiece I have (in champagne color), as the originals were missing quite a bit of material.

I laced the pieces together with some wire and spent three days building up layers of metal reinforced epoxy.

Not the prettiest thing, but I think it should hold....

Now the seat sits as it should and the tailpiece isn't rattling around.

Almost ready for Brown County....
                            Bob, that ain't gonna hold for long. Epoxy has to be reinforced with layers of fiberglass cloth, or for that fitting, some sheet steel.

Comment

Bob, that ain't gonna hold for long. Epoxy has to be reinforced with layers of fiberglass cloth, or for that fitting, some sheet steel.
                              Or wire stitching similar to rebar? Which I did....

I knew it was not "for sure" fix, but so what? after 14 years of zip ties, I am not scared of failure...
                              I have fiberglass cloth if I need to revisit this....

Comment

Not today, made it a couple of weeks ago.

First try-out of the non-slip treatment of the ply ramp. Absolutely ace.
                                1. Thick coat of cheap red undercoat / red lead, anything you like.
                                2. Liberally spinkle some oven-dried coarse sand over it while still sopping wet.
                                3. Let it dry, then another coat of cheap red on top.
                                4. Let it dry and harden off for a week.
                                5. Have a glass of cheap red. Sod it, have a bottle.

---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X